Engine Noise

DiGi

Hi guys,

just today after doing 91k km i start to hear a noise from the engine at 800 to 1500 RPM i tryed to trace the sound and i found that its coming from the area of the time belt and water pump ... i am not sure from what is it exactly .... ??!!

Driving 1.8T Oct. 2000 :confused:

i went to the dealer today, i told him to change the timing belt and water pump and the two tensioners, and to check that noise, which after that he discovers it is from the alternator belt tensioner, and i am end up with a new tensioner and belt too, total job will cost 380 Euro :mad: :mad: :mad: :drive1:

well

thanks guys .... just for your information DGW the time belt here usually works for 130k~140k km due to the very high temprture here, and cuts off "acording to the dealer words" which happened with a lot of customer who they didnt know that they have to change it and they never go to the dealer after they bay the car ... unless their car is broken ....

DiGi, the timing belt change interval in Europe for the 1.8T petrol engine is 180,000km but it is better to have it changed at 90,000km for peace of mind. Have you read the first topic in this forum which is a warning about cambelts?

Thank you for that expert diagnosis, Real Skoda. As a sufferer yourself, I am sure your description of the complaint is correct. Now back to the problem I had. Three attempts to post appeared to fail but the post did appear on my 4th try, but meanwhile the other 3 were quietly hiding until I departed to have supper. The surplus posts have now been deleted. Do you want yours deleting too?

okay ... i thing this question should be in the tuning forum... but i will ask it here, well about ECU upgrade .. i have a 1.8T model 2000 and i would like to tune it since long time but since mine is auto gearbox .... i am not sure will it be risky or not to tune it to less than 200bhp !!!:confused: :confused:

DiGi, KLB has recently had his 1.8T auto remapped at Jabbasport. I am pretty sure that his car has a more recent version of the 1.8T than yours (an AUM) and includes VVT and drive by wire which make it more tuneable. His engine has been tuned to 229bhp. You will find more information in the Jabbasport forum.