Radio Reception

JamesT

Hi guys

My cars radio reception is fine in most areas, however is weaker in some but can still be listened to, but here's the issue. When the cars ignition is switch on, those areas in which the signal is weaker become unbearable.

Being an aircraft electrician i know of some of the key issues with radio reception, however aircraft's differ from cars so im hoping you guys could know whats causing the issue.

Should i test to ensure that when the ignition is on, im still getting 12V into the radio, as well as ensuring ive got a good ground. Could i be picking up interference from the alternator?

Would a signal booster or interference suppressor help the issue.

Cheers

having tried to boost my signal and trying various methods..in the end the best fix is to replace the entire antenna base (£30 and you get the new mast too)...that solved my poor reception.  Signal booster just made it worse when added to the new antenna.

Have you got anything in the cigarette lighter? (Satnav, mobile charger). I had a double-USB port off ebay that must have had no shielding at all and killed the radio completely - but it took me months to realise!

I have exactly that currently in the mobile charger, one from ebay also! ill remove it and try this again.

• Like 1

I had the same problem with the old head unit. When I was plugging anything in the 12V socket it was starting to get bad radio reception. It seems the problem is no longer there with the new head unit. 

I replaced mine with one from Amazon Basics. Its only a few pounds more and I think they're made properly. I once had an Amazon Basics wall charger recalled 6 months after I bought it (free replacement) - I don't think that would happen with anything from ebay!