2009 Fabia 1.9 TDI PD Intermittent Shaking for 5 Seconds Hard to start

Hi All

4-5 Weeks ago i bought a 2009 fabia 1.9 tdi pd with dealer FSH and only 15k mpa on the clock anyway a few issues have started over the past 2 weeks or so

first of all on the odd occasion it would shake in the morning but only for about 5 seconds the run smooth this has happened 2-3 times, then on a couple more recent occaions its hard to start and the corner light symbol flashes up is this an injector issue or is there a low pressure pump in the tank that could be cuasing the issue.

The Pd engines tend to 'shake' when just started at idle. A dap of the throttle settles this down. My 1.4 pd does this now and again and is not a fault that I am aware of.

What symbol is flashing up? Can you post an image? May be the glowplug symbol hence difficulty starting, especially with the cold mornings drawing in

I had a 2005 1.9 Tdi estate for 8 yrs. Have you come from a petrol to a diesel. If you have you need to turn on the ignition wait for the bent wire symbol to come on then go out before you start the engine. If you have come from another diesel, apologies you already know this. Joe.

• 4 weeks later...

Well car went to Skoda a week ago and they couldn't get the engine to shake on startup so got it back, however since the temperatures dropped yesterday and this morning it has got worse it kind of felt like a momentary hesitation too as it started the shaking was for about 4-5 seconds, this is only when cold I.e startin in the morning also notice for a few seconds there's like a buzzing noise albeit faint which also disappears this comes from the front of the car

You could put a video up of what you are describing - it might help describe the shaking. Do you mean its running rough when you have it started? Or when you turn the key the car is struggling to start and it is shaking?

Can you identify the light on the dash board? Im not aware of a corner head lights symbol on the dash of mine, just the glow plug light.

6 years old, and low mileage, and Full Dealer Service History.   Is that Oil & Filter changes?

Best have a look at the Invoices, 

see when the Air Filter was replaced, see if the Fuel Filter has been changed, maybe have that done.

Maybe try buying diesel from some place different from you have been.

Will try and get a video up however as its warmer seems to improved.  Not sure about air and fuel filters surely a main dealer would change this when due wouldn't they if a full service.  I have also noticed that when cold there is a kind of whine or hum or buzz however you want describe it that accompanies the shake this isn't present when started in warmer weather.  The whine disappears when the shake does. 

If when due according to the Manufacturers Service Schedule is @ 40,000 miles then they would not be done.

If they were done because they were @ 4 Years and a Major Service, or because the Air Filter was Checked and required 

changing then yes.

Assuming things were done can be the cause of simple things causing owners expense.

If not sure, then maybe for the sake of under £40 you change consumables, ie Fuel Filter, Pollen Filter.

or at least look at a Air Filter.

Do you have receipts of Invoices for the 'Full Dealer Service History', showing what a 6 Year old 15,000 mile car has had done.

eg.  Has the Brake Fluid been changed twice already?

Hi

Yes had major service in September book stamped and have invoices haven't really checked to see exactly whats done just that it says major and minor services carried out, the hard start issues hasn't reared its head again its more the shaky start this is only for a few seconds when started and is worse when cold not sure if the fuel itself could be an issue so may try a better quality when I fill the tank up at the end of the week

I would not add additives,

i would put in some non supermarket diesel and drive the car, its engine is barely run in.

Some amount of money spent in 5 years of Minor and Major Services over only 15,000 miles

even if just,

£100 2010,

£200 2011,

£100 2012,

£250 2013

£100 2014

£250 2015

This is interesting, as mine sometimes does this, certainly not on each start and sometimes only at the end of the journey when idling.

I thought it might be the turbo whining a bit. My older 07 reg Fabia 1.9TDi used to do the same. I wasn't too worried my current one did this (its done 36K).