2004 TDI Remap Questions and where to go in the South West?

ugluk

Ok Ive got a 2004 1.9 TDI Elegance Estate with 103k on the clock and a full service history.

This is my run around, Driven in traffic and around town and not expected to be "raced".

It does quite well on fuel as it is, slightly beating book figures at around 45mpg round town, but thinking of a remap mainly to improve things further. Do remapping companies offer a remap that prioritises efficiency whilst giving some performance gains, or is it just a case that you get a remap performance goes up and whatever you gain in efficiency is a bonus? What are peoples real world experience of fuel economy gains from remapping?

Where is a good place to go for remapping in the southwest? Im in South Devon, The closer the better but am prepared to travel if necesary.

No such thing as economy remaps. If it was really that easy to increase MPG then it would come like that from the factor :)

So talk of 10-20% mpg gains are BS? Thought it might be worth asking here instead of going by advertising.

A normal remap will give you better economy if driven normally. My hybrid turbo gives 70+ to the gallon at 70 mpg but it booting it it drops to mid 20's.

But here you have changed the turbo so this can have a positive or negative impact to the VE of the engine. It could also screw up the trip.

A normal remap will give you better economy if driven normally. My hybrid turbo gives 70+ to the gallon at 70 mpg but it booting it it drops to mid 20's.

I agree - my experience is that a TDI remap improves torque which lets you use lower revs/lower gears more which helps economy - if you drive in an economical way.

I agree - my experience is that a TDI remap improves torque which lets you use lower revs/lower gears more which helps economy - if you drive in an economical way.

Dont I have to worry about killing the dual mass flywheel driving around at too low rpm? At the moment trying to keep between 1500-2500 rpm

Edited by ugluk

You'll inevitably use more of the power and torque more of the time after being mapped so its never going to help improve MPG

Not so sure about that, its not my only car. Ive got others for playing. The whole point of having the fabia is to keep the fuel bill down when either not hauling the whole family or going out for a play. Im quite enjoying seeing what I can do with the different mpg counters...

Dont I have to worry about killing the dual mass flywheel driving around at too low rpm? At the moment trying to keep between 1500-2500 rpm

Clearly you don't boot it when you get down near 1000 but I have never damaged a DMF on either of my Fabia tdi's (2 of them) or bmw  320d's (2 of them) and regularly let the engine drop to near 1000. On my current 120d you can feel/hear the dmf doing its stuff just below/around 1000 so I take it gently. OK, its not a Fabia but I took a bmw 320d from 120k to something over 250k miles driving the same way - never touched either the dmf or turbo.