MDI and howcan I get it to work?

I've used the search lots of times now but its not great at doing its job.

Can anyone link me to an idiots guide to getting my USB MDI working with my hard drive? The hard drive is FAT 32. Any help, links or whatever would be fantastic. 

cheers

I've been using a Seagate portable hard drive (mini USB) with the MDI since I first bought the car.

Never had a problem connecting to or recognisning the files and, handily, the system resumes from the last track/place before it was shutdown, even when completely disconnected.

See attached.

MDI Specifications 2011.pdf

I've used the search lots of times now but its not great at doing its job.

Can anyone link me to an idiots guide to getting my USB MDI working with my hard drive? The hard drive is FAT 32. Any help, links or whatever would be fantastic. 

cheers

I presume you are trying to interface a portable hard drive via the 'Media In' socket? I did get mine to work BUT it took so long to launch it,  the journey was over before the music started!

I had the same problem with USB memory sticks- anything much bigger than 8GB & it was just too slow to launch. Must be a slow processor.

I solved my problem by ditching the SWING unit & installing a cheapo Chinese Android head unit - result I can interface my 1TB hard drive or the choice of 2 USB inputs or 2 MicroSD cards & it begins playing more or less instantly.

Sorry for the delay.

Ive simply put mine in folders of the following sequence..

artist - album - track.

Mines a 16gb USB and works a treat, but sometimes if im browsing through folders it comes up with 'reading...' And never actually reads. I have to either unplug the usb and start again, or turn off the ignition n start again. The music doesnt stop, but i just cant browse files.

Maybe it is just a really small processor?

• Like 1

One Terabyte - that is an awful lot of music :wonder:

Who said it's all music? The head unit I'm using now also plays back video files in HD. The Hard Drive also holds all my SatNav maps. Just happens to be a 1TB hard drive - I could have managed with a lot less.