Annoying wheel choice restrictions

With the III as with the II, Skoda have some annoying wheel restrcitions.

Worst and most significant example being : You choose the luxury end of the range and they force big wheels in you - more noise, worse ride., on what is supposed to be a spec chosen for comfort and refinement.

There's one word for it - STUPID.

I see you can actually have 17 inch wheel with an SE-L, but oh, only if you choose the smallest engines. Doh ! And not the nice looking 17 inch one either.

Before anyone tells me there's a tecnhical need for it, I might point out the example of the Mk II in the Irish market, where they offered 17 inch on the top Elegance model.

I could get an SE of course, but I see if I wanted a petrol I could only have a 1.4 on this spec. So I run into another restriction of a different type.

Why not if I choose an SE -L ( or even L&K ), just let ME decide the wheels ? Why be restrictive ?  Why be a pain in the arse ?

Edited by Mog-Puss
  • Like 3

Why not have the smaller brake discs then ? Wouldn't it function ? The other wheels in the other Superbs function, with their smaller wheels and commensurately smaller brake discs.

And did those Irish Elegances not manage ?

Why not just let people decide the wheels and when it is built, the appropriate brake discs are fitted, for the wheels chosen.

Agreed, although it should be possible to find out for sure about the brakes. It would make sense for more powerful engines to require more powerful (and bulkier) brakes. If you're just talking about trim levels, then there can't be any reason.

I have wondered if a wheel-exchange might be a useful thing to set up!

Edited by thewinelake

In that case it's the manufacturer's choice to provide only a certain set of options, and completely normal across the industry - and many others too. Nothing stupid about it, just simple marketing choices. Very few companies allow a full range of choices, and some car manufacturers give you three or four from a set menu, with no choice to mix and match at all.

A wheel exchange sounds like a great idea though. I'm about to start looking for a winter wheel set for my S3 once it comes back from repair of the DCC 'problem'

I'm about to start looking for a winter wheel set for my S3 once it comes back from repair of the DCC 'problem'

If you haven’t seen it already then just about all the info you need to know is here:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/365644-winter-wheel-brake-sizes/

take note of post #22 regarding the ET you can use.

I agree that the fashion for larger wheels is a pain. I blame Jezzer and his mates. Yes they do look good on a car but there is no real benefit I can find for everyday use on UK roads. In fact it is just the opposite, harder ride, easier to damage wheel and tyre, I think it affects mpg detrimentally, rubbish grip in winter conditions etc.

So it is about bling and for some reason manufacturers equate bling with higher spec. And therefore you must not allow customers to buy cars that will not look bling on the road.

I have managed to deal a couple of times and get some good credit for the bling wheels against buying a set of reasonables. Have to do it before you take over the car but it can be done. So why not allow it at spec stage?

Just had some new brake pads fitted to my Merc (annoyingly they needed doing before the new Superb will arrive!) and took the chance to fit the winter wheels as I am in Germany next week.

Winter wheels are 17" (Summer are 18) and as soon as I drove out of the garage you could tell the difference, the car drives like a Merc should, quiet and smooth.

I may fit 17" on the new car for both winter and summer.

• Like 1