S3 Winter wheel / brake sizes

Gizmo

This will be of interest to some who are moving from a MKII Superb / Octavia and already have winter wheels and tyres.

So although if you have a set of ET45 winter wheels they will physically fit on all but the 220 and 280 petrol engines... the tyre size is now different.

The engine codes I have so far deciphered are:

150 Petrol (1.4L) = CZEA (Needs minimum16”wheels)

150 Diesel (2.0L) = CRLB (Needs minimum16”wheels)

190 Diesel (2.0L) = DDAA (Needs minimum16”wheels)

220 Petrol (2.0L) = CHHB (Needs minimum17”wheels)

280 Petrol (2.0L) = CJXA (Needs minimum17”wheels)

The MKIII uses: (from page 262)

215/60 R16 95V on 6 ½”x 16” ET41

215/55 R17 94W on 7”x17” ET40 or 6 ½”x17” ET41

235/45 R18 94W on 8”x18” ET44

235/40 R19 96W on 8”x19” ET44 

Whereas the MKII uses:

ET45 (7x16” & 6x17”)

ET46 (7½x18”)

ET49 (7½ x17”)

ET50 (6x16”)

Wheel offset (ET) calculator. 

Note that although some of the MKIII’s can still use 16” wheels the tyre size has increased to 215/60/16”

The MKIII still uses a centre bore of 57.1mm (compared to some of the newer Audi’s that now use 66.6mm) 

Edited by Gizmo68
  • Like 2

Based on OZ wheels configurator center bore should still be 57.1 mm

http://configurator.ozracing.com/GB/configurator/SKODA/Superb%20Combi/2.0%20TDI/3T/-/-/57094757/

http://configurator.ozracing.com/GB/configurator/SKODA/Superb%20Combi/2.0%20TDI/3T

However, I don't know how reliable this information is. At least the ET's and wheel/tyre sizes are correct for the MK III.

• 2 weeks later...

Am thinking of moving up a size next year from Octy III to Superb 3 SE business! My problem, due to its brake disc size my VRS requires 17" alloys for its winter shoes.

However they werent cheap to buy and by the looks of it they won't fit the new Superb due to the wrong ET! That's another cost for me to consider.

If I change do any of you want a set of nice alloy wheels with quality Continental winter tyres? I'll put them up for sale if I change.

Am thinking of moving up a size next year from Octy III to Superb 3 SE business! My problem, due to its brake disc size my VRS requires 17" alloys for its winter shoes.

However they werent cheap to buy and by the looks of it they won't fit the new Superb due to the wrong ET! That's another cost for me to consider.

If I change do any of you want a set of nice alloy wheels with quality Continental winter tyres? I'll put them up for sale if I change.

What width and ET are they?

I may be very interested 

I'll be wanting to sort out winter tyres for my planned Superb Estate 280 L&K purchase early next year because it will be going to Germany a fair bit in winter. I need to plan these costs into my budget before SWMBO reserves it for the many house improvement projects she wants done!

From my understanding the smallest wheel size which will fit on this car is 17". The standard wheels will be 18". The way I see it I have two options. 1 - I can just get a set of winter tyres to fit the existing 18" wheels. 2 - I can buy a new set of wheels with winter tyres that can be 17" or 18".

There are a few issues I have though. I don't particulary want to put non Skoda wheels on the car as some insurers can be awkward. If I did get a set of wheels for winter typres I think I'd go 17" as low profile tyres seem to be less suited to winter use. It seems Skoda like to rip you off for buying genuine parts and it looks like a cost of £250 per wheel. So that's 1k+ without even the tyres.

A decent winter also seems expensive. Using Blackcircles I looked at winter tyres available for both 235/45 R18 and 215/55 R17. For R18 they had Dunlop SP Winter Sport 4D at £174.62 each (£698.48 set of 4). The R17 choice was Continental Winter Contact TS850P at £127.12 each (£508.48 set of 4). Now I appreciate a £200 saving from 18 to 17 but the difference isn't even covering the cost to buy 1 wheel! Having 2 sets of rims saves on going to the tyre fitter twice a year. Let's say it's £80 a time to swap over, so £160 a year it would take over 5 years to start seeing a saving by having 2 sets.

The other quandary I have is on what to do about the spare. So I'll spec a space saver with variable boot floor. I'd love a full size spare but I'm not holding my breath a 235/45 R18 is going to fit flush. Would you put a winter tyre on a spare? I know punctures are rare these days but if they happen and in snowy conditions I assume a winter tyre is the best bet, even on a space saver? Let's say a full size spare would fit there's the other issue that the decent winter tyres or even ones that can fit a 235/45 R18 all seem to be directional which is no good if a spare needs to be fitted to either side of the car.

There doesn't seem to be any perfect solution it this situation. What are peoples plans for winters on a car with R18 wheels and associated costs? Do you have any suggestions for my points above? Any help is much appreciated :)

Yes you need minimum of 17” wheels on the 280.

Lets not forget the refurb cost and hassle when the tyre fitter scuffs your lovely new alloys when they are swapping tyres over, IMO the least amount of times a tyre fitter needs to go ANYWHERE near my wheels the better! let alone twice a year  :no:

I told my insurance company they were genuine VAG alloys (I was using Audi alloys) and they were perfectly happy with that.

For winter tyres my No.1 choice are Nokian, the WR A3 are just £94.80from mytyres. 

As for the spare wheel I am happy with a std spare tyre in the boot IF I got a puncture on the front then I would simply put a rear wheel on the front and then the spare on the rear, you should not be going quickly with the spare on anyway so thats the chance I would take.

• Like 1

I also travel to Germany every winter so winter tyres are a must-have for me.

Other than cost the 16" v. 17" v. 18" primarily becomes a factor in snow, but winter tyres aren't just for snow.

I had 18" winter tyres on my previous car and 16" on my current car (both times Vredestein Wintrac Extreme).

Both sets have encountered snow, hail and ice on more than one occasion and to be honest I perceived no noticeable difference in their (excellent) performance.

So for my L&K I've ordered a set of 4 x 18" Škoda wheels sourced from the German Superb III accessories brochure at £160 each.

For tyres I will probably go for Conti Winter Contact TS 830P from MyTyres at £128.70 each (although my dealer is currently checking if he can source them any cheaper at trade).

The irony of using MyTyres is that they are shipped from Hanover to the UK so that I can drive on them to Hanover.

The dilemma of winter tyres in the UK is the majority of other motorists not having them. "Waste of money for the little bit of snow we get!"

That was brought home to me on a cold night in Farnborough the winter before last as I came to a safe stop on black ice at a red light.

The car in front had just slid right across the pelican crossing and then to my horror I saw the van behind sliding towards me. Horror turned to relief as he slid right past me, so all kudos to him for not hitting me (and the pedestrians for waiting for the chaos to subside).

I don't particulary want to put non Skoda wheels on the car as some insurers can be awkward.

When I've spoken to insurers they've had no qualms regarding winter tyres/wheels so long as the wheel size matches the manufacturers recommendations. Their main concerns with non-manufacturer wheels seems to be "does it make the car look more worth stealing".

Would you put a winter tyre on a spare?

No. I'd treat it in a similar way to a temporary spare. To get me home or my destination and then to the nearest tyre services for repair/replacement.

Having 2 sets of rims saves on going to the tyre fitter twice a year. Let's say it's £80 a time to swap over, so £160 a year it would take over 5 years to start seeing a saving by having 2 sets.

As Gizmo68 says, tyre fitters don't show the same respect for your wheels as you do. Ripping off and reapplying the wheel balancing weights twice a year probably won't do much for the wheels either.

I usually do the bi-annual wheel change myself but on occasion I've asked my local independent tyre dealer to swop the wheels and he doesn't charge for it - "just give the lad some drink money".

Thanks for the replies :) MyTyres seems to have much better prices. So I think I will budget accordingly:

Set of 4 18" Skoda wheels from the German Superb III accessories brochure - £160 each, £640 total.

Set of 4 Dunlop SP Winter Sport 4D 235/45 R18 98V XL (MFS) from MyTyres - £129.30 each, 517.20 total.

Total outlay for winter setup: £1,157.20

Will leave the spare as it is. I guess I need to invest in a decent jack, torque wrench, foot pump and pressure guage!

Hi to all on this topic,

You also need to facter in new tyre vavle fot the TPS sytem.

Mayoboat

Are you sure? I don't think that's correct.

According to the manual it uses the same ABS related system as in the Superb II. The only difference on the Superb III being the tyre pressure setting switch is no longer a physical switch but a virtual switch in the infotainment's "car" menu. There would be no requirement for this if it uses the valve monitoring system. Where fitted, these valves are usually colour-coded so that the vehicle can determine which wheel is feeding the data (i.e. yellow valve must always be fitted front near side, red valve rear offside, etc.) but there's no mention of this anywhere.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm probably the last to realise the difference winter tyres make but just in case I'm not some may find this interesting, being a numpty and thinking I'd solved my winter issues by ordering a 4x4 I was gobsmacked;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfuE00qdhLA

(stick with it to the second part re braking and manoeuvring performance).

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/66645/winter-tyres-test-reviews-and-prices-for-2014-2015

Now.....are there any steels which will fit the 150ps diesel or am I looking at another set of alloys?

Edited by Claymore

You can fit the std 16” steels or alloys onto a 150 without problems.

If you stick to genuine VAG (VW Audi Škoda Seat) wheels then you can also use your existing bolts.

Thanks Gizmo68.

I'm torn between the low cost of the steels and what affect it'll have on the look of an L&K compared to a half decent set of alloys.

Looking at the Czech and German sites there seems to be quite a disparity in prices - for the 18" Anthracite Zeniths, which I was quite happy with when I was going to order an SE L, (and the Cassiopeia black gloss) the Czech site quotes £141 per wheel whereas the German one quotes £194.

http://eshop.skoda-auto.com/cz/en/b2c/rims/alloy-wheel-zenith-3v0071498c-ha7x/0/1/24/43/1001

https://zubehoer.skoda-auto.de/details/3V0071498C%20HA7

Things are getting a bit out of hand now with my new found enthusiasm for winter tyres SWMBO wants them on her Citigo too!

I simply could not live with steel wheels on the car for half the year (especially an L&K) others however are happy with them.

Also look in the classifieds on here as there are several sets of alloys with winter tyres fitted that are in as new condition... and no they are not all mine, although I do have a set in there  :blush:

Obviously the larger the wheel diameter the dearer the tyres are, which is why 16” winter tyres are so popular. 

Now, having almost lost the will to live reading info and reviews about tyre and wheel combinations I have come to the conclusion that the only reason to use winter tyres is to improve safety and convenience not necessarily in concert with the aesthetic look of the car. 

With that in mind it becomes a bit of a no-brainer and points to 16" steels for the 2.0 L 150 ps 4x4, with or without wheel trims - looks sexier without!

http://eshop.skoda-auto.com/cz/en/b2c/complete-left-winter-wheel-pneu-continental-superb-yeti-octavia-CAX205556HY55Lx

£493 for 4.

Just waiting for confirmation that these will fit the Superb III

Smaller versions for the Citigo

http://eshop.skoda-auto.com/cz/en/b2c/winter-complete-set-of-wheels--1/complete-left-winter-wheel-14-pneu-nokian-citigo-CAX165704CGWL/0/1/6/43/1001

£233 for 4.

Bonus is that the Superb wheels come with the Auto Express winners and the Citigo tyres are highly rated too.

Edited by Claymore

They are not the recommended tyre side for the MKIII which should be:

215/60 R16 95V

215/55 R17 94W

235/45 R18 94W

235/40 R19 96W 

For me it’s a no brainer £493 for new steel wheels and tyres, or for the same price mint s/h alloys and tyres that still have 2 or 3 winters left in them.

In the grand scheme of things steel wheels are nowhere near cheap enough to make it viable IMO.

Unfortunately it has been confirmed that those wheels are not compatible with the series III Superb.

I don't think I want to risk buying wheels from previous series Superb in case of similar compatibility problems at the moment as I have to admit having insufficient knowledge of the subject and I'm so fed up trying to acquire it that I may have to buy from an official source.

BTW, the Czech site has said that they have no information yet about availability of complete winter wheel sets for the series III.

These are what are the sizes fitted from the factory:

ET40 (7x17”)

ET41 (6½x16” & 6½x17”)  

ET44 (8x18) & 8x19”)

Your car will come with either:

17” alloys: 7” (wide) x 17” (diameter) ET40 

18” alloys 8” (wide) x 18” or 19” (diameter) ET44

So using the offset (ET) calculator it shows if you have an 8” wide wheel to start with and drop down to a 7” wide winter wheel the ET can drop down to ET27 and the outside of the wheel will sit where the 8” ET40 wheel sat.

You could even go right up to ET53 and the inside edge of the wheel will be in the same place as the std 8” ET40

One of the most common size wheel are 7” wide ET45, this will fit easily , as would anything between ET40 and ET50.

Just make sure that the PCD is 5x112 and the centre bore is 57.1mm (std on most VAG wheels) and you will be fine.

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies :) MyTyres seems to have much better prices. So I think I will budget accordingly:

Set of 4 18" Skoda wheels from the German Superb III accessories brochure - £160 each, £640 total.

Set of 4 Dunlop SP Winter Sport 4D 235/45 R18 98V XL (MFS) from MyTyres - £129.30 each, 517.20 total.

Total outlay for winter setup: £1,157.20

Will leave the spare as it is. I guess I need to invest in a decent jack, torque wrench, foot pump and pressure guage!

Can you give me the link to that supplier please? (Is this it - https://zubehoer.skoda-auto.de/category/Superb%20III) ?

...and as a matter of interest, which wheels did you choose (I'm liking the gloss black Cassiopeia ).

Edited by Claymore

Can you give me the link to that supplier please?

...and as a matter of interest, which wheels did you choose (I'm liking the gloss black Cassiopeia ).

Hi Claymore,

The prices for the wheels I got from BillJim who ordered through Garland's Skoda in Aldershot. However, we worked out afterwards the price probably wasn't including VAT so they are turning out to be more like £200 each (depends on the Euro>Pound exchange rate).

I haven't ordered yet but will do so when I get the car and I will be choosing the Cassiopeia brushed light-alloy wheel 8.0J x 18" for 235/45 R18 tyres in glossy black design (3V0 071 498 JX2).