Octy 1.4TSi - Opinions sought

Yeh I forgot about that long second gear, theoretically it will get you to 100 kph if revved out though I have never done it.

2nd should be lower and that would make the 1st to 2nd change smoother as well.

The DSG avoids that issue and the 7th gear is longer than the manuals 6th so about 200 rpm lower at 70 mph. It automatically freewheels in Eco mode as well. I still like stirring the pot though

So, what I'm gathering here is that if driven in the same way I drive my diesel, I'll be looking at around 45 to 50 mpg in real terms.

That's roughly inline with what I expected :)

Now I just have to consider whether to try to go for new, nearly new (ex-Skoda cars have very attractive price tags) or to lease one from Lings Cars.

I'm not in any great rush. Is there an especially good time to purchase on the horizon? Or is there likely to be some sort of scrappage scheme coming up?

Edited by JohnK

0% PCP offers can make the cost of a new one better, but depends on your mileage.  Sometimes they throw in free servicing as well - usually 3 years.  All depends on your own circumstances TBH.

Some say end of December is good as most people are skint then and sales teams always have targets to meet...  I doubt you'll see a scrappage scheme come around again as the only real winners where the likes of Hyundai and Kia on the last one - and that was a plan that was touted to be helping the UK car industry (not the Korean one).

Edited by philhoward

Additionally, I suppose I should really test drive a 1.2Tsi if I can :)

I remember reading of someone who was taking back-to-back test drives of a 1.2 and 1.4 to see which was best; took the 1.2 first and thought it was the 1.4, so went with the 1.2.  I'm not sure if real world figures are any different though between the two.  I'd be curious to see if they try the 1.0 TFSI engine in an Octavia?  It's now in the Golf in 115PS form..

I remember reading of someone who was taking back-to-back test drives of a 1.2 and 1.4 to see which was best; took the 1.2 first and thought it was the 1.4, so went with the 1.2.  I'm not sure if real world figures are any different though between the two.  

I bet that was the 122ps version of the 1.4lt.....................there is a big difference between the 1.2lt & 1.4lt (140/150ps version)

I drove a 1 litre Ford Focus Estate when in the UK earlier in the year and quite liked it but did find it more difficult to drive at a steady low speed limit ( I think 40mph) than my 1.4tsi because it seemed to be on and off the turbo at that speed so I seemed to be correcting the acceleration or the deceleration all the time. 

Never did quite get the hang of it and was not sure if it was just that car or could be a feature for very small turbo units.

I bet that was the 122ps version of the 1.4lt.....................there is a big difference between the 1.2lt & 1.4lt (140/150ps version)

It was the 140PS 1.4 (I didn't think the 122PS/125PS was ever offered in the O3 in the UK??) - but the performance of the 1.2 was more than sufficient for the driver concerned.  I don't think he was expecting "just" a 1.2 to be so sprightly!

I drove both the 1.2 110 and the 1.4 150.

As you'd expect the 1.4 has more top end grunt and would be better if you do a lot of A road overtaking or often fully loaded.

However around town and cruising on the motorway there is little between them.

They are the same engine, just bigger capacity on the 1.4.

It was the 140PS 1.4 (I didn't think the 122PS/125PS was ever offered in the O3 in the UK??) - but the performance of the 1.2 was more than sufficient for the driver concerned.  I don't think he was expecting "just" a 1.2 to be so sprightly!

Wasn't it the one where he thought he was buying a 1.2 and it turned out to be 1.4?

Apparently a common mistake from that on-line dealer?

I drove both the 1.2 110 and the 1.4 150.

As you'd expect the 1.4 has more top end grunt and would be better if you do a lot of A road overtaking or often fully loaded.

However around town and cruising on the motorway there is little between them.

The top end grunt is irrelevant really as not many go there but the 30% increase in torque in the lower revs for the similar weight vehicle does make a big difference for overtaking and hills

You are right that it makes little difference on a Motorway or around town though.

Even TMWNA who rags his engine rigid does not go beyond 4k rpm (he says)

Same family yes, same engine NO...............

The petrol TSI EA211 series have different bore/stroke, turbo chargers, & the 140/150ps also have adjustable exhaust cams (all have adjustable inlet cams)............

the 1.2lt has 110ps between 4,600-5,600rpm & 175nm between 1,400-4,000rpm

my 1.4lt has 140ps between  4,600-6,000rpm & 250nm between 1,500-3,500rpm

So an extra 75nm more, beside the extra 30ps & higher rev band..................which I have used............ :angel:

Wasn't it the one where he thought he was buying a 1.2 and it turned out to be 1.4?

Apparently a common mistake from that on-line dealer?

Nope - he wasn't sure if the 1.2 was going to be man enough so found a dealer who had both available.  Dealer didn't tell him which was which when they set off; he tried the 1.2 first, got out and was expecting the next one (what he thought was the 1.2) to be too slow.

I wish I could find the thread now!

the 140/150ps also have adjustable exhaust cams (all have adjustable inlet cams)............

Must be why the acceleration slows down between 5&6k, the exhaust fighting to keep up, run the same stretch of road in a twin charger 1.4 from the Mk2 Fabia and you'll feel the difference, the twin charger just pulls all the way through to 6k. Kinda makes you wonder whats going on with 1.8TSI exhaust as that does keep pulling also.

In a standard 1.4TSI the torque is falling away from 4K upwards, the FSR tuning box from DTUK will extend the rev range and increase the torque to about 285nm or near 300nm peak around 4,200 if you modify the air intake system so, there is no point going much beyond 4K or even 4-1/2K revs in a modified version before upshifting.

Before anyone starts on about the 250nm torque limiter on the DSG please let me inform you it only operate in 1st & 2nd gear.

But OP basically you'll see about a 10 mpg higher fuel consumption with the 1.4TSI compared to your 1.9TDI, good luck with you new car.

Edited by themanwithnoaim
  • Like 2

Well as in my other thread about just having had 1st annual service, I don't know what they adjusted on my 1.4 TSi manual but it feels like a different car, smoother, better gear change, quieter and plenty of oomph.

I was thinking it would be about 10mpg difference, which I can live with, especially with reduced annual mileage.

I still think I should probably test drive the 1.2 before I make a decision, but luckily I don't really have to make a decision quickly.

I must say, the PCP 0% deal looks attractive, but then so does leasing a car from (for example) Lings.

Anyway, this thread has been really helpful. Thank you again, everyone. I'll keep it open for further discussion, as it looks like a popular topic!

I had a passat 1.9 TDI, now have a Octavia 3, 1.2tsi, suits my needs round town and the occasional longer journey, Can cruise German autobahn at 150 KMH no problem, happy with it, next time would go for the 1.4 tsi though. if you are only doing 10K miles PA is the MPG that important.

• Like 1

if you are only doing 10K miles PA is the MPG that important.

I looked at it the other way around. If I'm only doing a few thousand miles a year I didn't want to spend an extra thousand pounds on the bigger engine that I don't need.

You've got to do test drives, and quite long ones at that. I was amazed when I tried out the 1.4 TSi, having come from the 1.8 TSi. Yes, it isn't "as good" but still surprising for what it is, and very economical, not just in mpg.

I was even more surprised when I did its first long run with four of us on board. I thought that would show up performance weak spots.

But it didn't, it still gave very satisfying acceleration so long as I was in the right gear!

• Like 1

Well, I've just done an MPG test on my 1.9TDi for the kind of driving I'll be doing most of the time these days. It comes out at 45mpg, which isn't as good as I'd hoped.

I'm pretty sure I'll be going to a petrol version before long. The sales team at my local dealership - Vindis of Cambridge - have been extremely helpful and patient in explaining my options. I've a lot to think about :)

• Like 1

For all journeys (mainley around town and measured) I am averaging 38.3 MPG from my 1.4TSI DSG.

On a recent 400 mile run including the M25 car park the car averaged a measured 46 car readout 48.4 - on the motorway sections at 70 the car read 51MPG.

I suspect the 1.4 will give you pretty much the same MPG as your 1.9TDI on the same run.

• Like 1

Agree with Dempsek, I think it will be very close. Our 1.4 Octavia estate seems to run our diesel supermini pretty close for economy.

Most of my driving during the week is 2 mile hops round town, giving mostly mid to high 30's mpg depending on traffic. On a-road drives at between 50 and 60mph, 50mpg can be achieved quite easily. Motorway driving always somewhere between 45mpg and 50mpg - even managed 45mpg fully loaded with camping gear and a roof box on the motorway. All of these figures are from the car computer by the way, but I figure that even if that's 10% out (which I think it probably isn't that bad) they are still pretty respectable. 10 months in and I'm still very, very impressed with the car. I don't think you'd regret getting one.

• Like 1

I forgot to say the most of the time I drive with passengers, on the 400 mile run there were four people in the car.

If most of the time you're running a 1.4TSI with just the driver, the MPG should be even better than I see.

• Like 1