Octy 1.4TSi - Opinions sought

Thank you both. By the sounds of it, the computer readouts seem to be pretty accurate. Perhaps that's improved since the old models?

MPG figures on the Octy 3 computer are optimistic by around two or three mpg. Previous posts on here and other car forums/fora show that seem to be the norm for car computers. Long-term recordings by the geeks among us, of tankful to tankful (and I mean several thousand miles, not just a couple of hundred), confirm this.

That said, my 1.4TSi DSG has given 41.9 mpg over 11,000 miles, best tankful 52.7, (round trip to Kent from Cheshire, fast, four up and full luggage, and just done the same trip getting 48.8), worst 37.6, just local pottering, mainly crawling town centre stuff).

GOK how themanwithnoaim gets the figures he does, I can get nowhere near!

• Like 1

Every car is different. My consumption display is pretty well spot on real life sometimes slightly pessimistic. The odometer is within 1%accurate with new tyres. The speedo and average speed displays are at least 5% optimistic.

Unless the above are verified then many consumption claims are unintentionally misleading.

The OP will not match his 1.9 d consumption with the 1.4 petrol, it is not possible, but it will be close enough.

I suspect in the colder months, the quicker warm up time of the petrol will almost even things out, especially on short runs.

Roll on the ACT engine coming into the Octavia - I was seeing 80-90mpg (instantaeous) reported at a constant 70mph on the flat on Friday night on the M5 (it increased from 65-70mpg when it went into 2-cylinder mode) in my new Leon 1.4 FR

I suspect in the colder months, the quicker warm up time of the petrol will almost even things out, especially on short runs.

Roll on the ACT engine coming into the Octavia - I was seeing 80-90mpg (instantaeous) reported at a constant 70mph on the flat on Friday night on the M5 (it increased from 65-70mpg when it went into 2-cylinder mode) in my new Leon 1.4 FR

The petrol 1.4 does warm up very quickly, I get warm air from the vents within 1 km even on our (not very) coldest morning.

The 1.9diesel was incredibly slow to warm up and took about 5 km on an equivalent morning to get warm air and probably 12 km to reach operating temperature. However it was able to deliver near normal economy figures even while cold, that always surprised me.

Regarding your Seat ACT figures, are you sure you were not actually on a small downhill to get those figures?

To give some perspective Peugeot set a class record consumption with their new 308 3 cylinder 1.2litre petrol engine around a closed circuit doing something like 2000 km from a tank of fuel to achieve 2.9 l/100 (99 mpg) at an average speed of 57 kph. The 308 is also about 150kg lighter than the larger Octavia.

Thank you all again for the advice and opinions. They helped a great deal.

Yesterday, with help from Gary at Vindis Skoda in Cambridge, I located and ordered an Octavia SE 1.4TSi with several extras, including the Plus pack. We settled on what I consider to be a fair price, and I've no doubt they do too - well, I can hardly begrudge them making a living :)

I should have it by the end of the month, so I have a week or so to find someone willing to take my trusty old 1.9TDI estate, or it'll get traded in.

Yes, except just auto lights (no wipers) and it also comes with an auto-dimming rear view mirror.

The other extras are a spare wheel, heated front seats, LED rear lights and metallic paint (had a choice between silver and black, went for silver).

I didnt get the autodim mirror on mine so check you do, but did get auto wipers.

Skoda do some strange specs sometimes.

Edited by glosrich
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just to say that I picked up my car at lunchtime today. It drives very nicely indeed, and is very easy to get used to after my 1.9TDi.

Thank you again for all the help and advice. It definitely helped me make an informed decision :)

Just to say that I picked up my car at lunchtime today. It drives very nicely indeed, and is very easy to get used to after my 1.9TDi.

Thank you again for all the help and advice. It definitely helped me make an informed decision :)

I've gone from a 1.9 pd to a 1.4tsi (previous gen engine) and love the way it drives - enjoy...

I'm considering stepping up from the 1.2tsi 105 manual fabia to a

SKODA OCTAVIA HATCHBACK 1.4 TSI 150 SE L 5dr DSG.

With the following Options

Metallic - Quartz Grey

Sunset privacy glass

Bi Xenon headlights with adaptive front lighting system + LED daytime running lights + black cornering fog lights

LED rear lights

3 spoke supersport multifunction leather steering wheel including paddle shift

Alcantara/leather - Black

All season tyres

17" Teron alloy wheels

Coming in at a Total (with options):£19860.32

Is this a good deal? I also get the £1000 Skoda cont and 0% finance

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Enjoy her John

jonro2009, the 1.4 is a very good engine choice. Using the configrator it looks like a good deal to me, but only you can make that choice.

• Like 2

jonro2009 - That's more than I paid, but with quite a few nice extras and also a DSG gearbox. Looks like a good deal to me :)

Is yours an SE or SEL?

Mine would be a built to order with a 3 month build time! Be a long wait!

Are you happy with yours, I've not been able to drive a 1.4 yet, one coming in this week. Apparently the most popular engine is the 1.2, I would have thought that would be underpowered?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

I have an SE, with the Plus pack and a number of other extras (heated front seats, auto lights, auto dimming rear view mirror, spare tyre, and rear LED lights).

I am very happy so far. The drive is very smooth, in terms of acceleration and delivery of power. I'll get to test it on a longer haul this Christmas, when I'm visiting family and friends.

I never drove the 1.2, and the only regret I have is that I didn't try it. All the reports I read on here indicate that it has plenty of power.