Fitting a cycle light board

pingo

I need to get a cycle light board fitted to my 2014 Yeti. I have no tow bar and no tow bar prep.

Hubby used to be an auto electrician back in the olden days, so is reasonably au fait with what's required. He has all the kit (probably) but is less than 'engaged' with the process because "if you stand slightly to the left rear of the car and tilt your head to one side you can see all the lights quite clearly so why do we need to bother fitting a board......"

Anyway, before he gets stuck in are there any quirks associated with the Yeti that he might need to know about? Anything not where you'd expect it to be, or anything that does something that you might expect it not to?

Handy to know so that I can stand over him while he's working and offer some helpful advice; I'm sure he'll appreciate that.

Thanks in advance!

Just be wary its a canbus system so you can't just splice into the wires as the car will throw an error code... I'm no expert but believe it needs a specific kit to fit and not cause problems with the bulb error warnings.

Just be wary its a canbus system so you can't just splice into the wires as the car will throw an error code... I'm no expert but believe it needs a specific kit to fit and not cause problems with the bulb error warnings.

My advice too.

What he says!!

Doing it the old fashioned way can be VERY expensive as one (old) member found out!!

Get a genuine electric kit and fit it in a day quite easily.

Have a look for my project thread. Lots of pictures of the process, part numbers and links in there.

Not sure where you'd hang the 13-pin socket if you don't have a towbar though!

Thanks for all the advice - as always, this forum a great place for real life practical help.

Thanks also for the links to the project thread and to Joel Shoemark's post - they're both excellent.

It all looks more complicated than it ought to be, and it also seems that the eBay bargain Halfords wiring kit isn't quite the bargain I thought it was!

Also meant to say that I'm guessing that fitting a universal kit would invalidate the warranty but fitting a dedicated kit would be OK?

Also meant to say that I'm guessing that fitting a universal kit would invalidate the warranty but fitting a dedicated kit would be OK?

Cars are computers now....with 4 free wheels.