30mm on oem shocks

Wanting to lower my 2007 vrs on 30mm springs I have been told the standard shocks wont be up to the job so I suggested new standard shocks to which I was told they still wont be up to the job as they would wear out quicker. I was told I should be looking at bilstein b12 shocks but looking at the price of these and springs then fitting I might aswell pay the extra few hundred and get air ride.

Is there anything just as good up to the job slightly cheaper that wont affect comfort. Im not looking for the cheapest as I am Aware you get what you pay for.

Wanting to lower my 2007 vrs on 30mm springs I have been told the standard shocks wont be up to the job so I suggested new standard shocks to which I was told they still wont be up to the job as they would wear out quicker. I was told I should be looking at bilstein b12 shocks but looking at the price of these and springs then fitting I might aswell pay the extra few hundred and get air ride.

Is there anything just as good up to the job slightly cheaper that wont affect comfort. Im not looking for the cheapest as I am Aware you get what you pay for.

How much have you been quoted for B12 + springs? Can get them for £412 from EU.

a pro kit wont lower you 30mm.  the vRS is already 15mm lower than a regular octavia so the additional lowering you'll geton a b12 kit is about 15mm.  ride and handling will be very good though.

iirc h&r do a damper and spring kit (billed as -50mm) which will lower a vRS 30-35mm which is just about perfect IMO.  For 600 though you could probably find reasonable coilovers.. e.g. AP.  These will ride similar to stock.  They're not going to be as good as bilsteins but for sitting low and cruising around and looking cool in reasonable comfort they'll do the job.  If you want something that'll feel great attacking your favorite bumpy b road then look elsewhere.

• Like 1

As Rob_e says the eibach springs will add another 15-20 mm as vRS is already lower. I don't think it was a factory option but Skoda offered the lowering springs as an accessory. I had mine fitted by Skoda so that the car had them when I picked it up. I think they're hard to come by now as Skoda no longer offer them.

Isn't there also the specific VRS kit made by Eibach which was offered as a factory fit option that also lowers 30-35mm?

Dealer fit, not factory fit. It was just a set of eibach pro springs in a skoda box. As above, only lowers about 15mm over a stock vRS.

You don't say how many miles your 8yo car has done but if you drop it 30mm (don't forget to trim the bumpstops) you'll be needing to replace the dampers after about 10,000m.  

If you are paying someone for labour then stump up the extra dollars now & get appropriate dampers - you'll be much happier in the long term.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Fit the springs to new genuine shocks. I have H&R 35mm springs on my standard shocks (2009 CR170 VRS estate) and it rides better than factory and the comfort is exactly the same as factory just less roll on the corners.

You can now get genuine ECO shocks for VAG cars over 5 years old and they are nearly half the price of standards. They are genuine (sold at TPS and main dealers straight from the same place as like for like standard genuine shocks) and come with a 2 year warranty so regardless of miliage you wont be paying for another set :thumbup:

Edited by mattvrestate
  • Like 1