Brake pads

paddy wagon

Not a Skids question. But...

My wife's Corsa has just had its 4th service and MOT. It's done 17k miles. Whilst it was in they rang me saying the front pads were 80% worn. I said I would get it done another time.

Thing is, that wasn't recorded on the advisories. So, two questions. 1. Should that amount of wear be an advisory? 2. Is it easy to check visually. The car has very `closed` alloys so I'm a bit suspicious!

If I had a Corsa Jack I'd have the wheels off myself. In fact I might source one and do them myself.

All help gratefully received.

Not a Skids question. But...

My wife's Corsa has just had its 4th service and MOT. It's done 17k miles. Whilst it was in they rang me saying the front pads were 80% worn. I said I would get it done another time.

Thing is, that wasn't recorded on the advisories. So, two questions. 1. Should that amount of wear be an advisory? 2. Is it easy to check visually. The car has very `closed` alloys so I'm a bit suspicious!

If I had a Corsa Jack I'd have the wheels off myself. In fact I might source one and do them myself.

All help gratefully received.

1. I don't think 80% is of much concern as long as you keep an eye on them and are aware that they will want changing at some point. If it's done 17K on the first 80% then they should theorhetically be at 90% in another 2K miles. Then change them. Obviously depending on your driving style this may be reduced or increased, but whatever..

2. Yes, here's a picture of my old cars pads before I got upgraded pads and discs:

WP_20150324_06_00_27_Pro_zpspgkr0byr.jpg

All you're looking for is the thickness of the material (almost) touching the disc.

And a spare wheel kit is always handy, don't like puncture repair goo myself.

Ask them for the measurements and look it up yourself. then you'll really know how much brake is left. I'm possibly cynical but I suspect they've just glanced at the brakes picked a figures and took a punt on selling you disks.

80% worn in 17k miles. Sounds a bit wierd unless your SWMBO lives on the brakes or you live near the sea maybe? Last time I changed a set of pads I'd done 60k on them and I don't drive much on motorways.

BMW tried some utter *******s with us that the car had "1500 braking miles left" and we should give them £1000 for new disks and pads all round. I asked them what "braking miles" were and they couldn't explain it. They hadn't measured anything just gone on what the computer said.

Brakes are a cash cow for dealers.

Edited by Aspman

Ask them for the measurements and look it up yourself. then you'll really know how much brake is left. I'm possibly cynical but I suspect they've just glanced at the brakes picked a figures and took a punt on selling you disks.

80% worn in 17k miles. Sounds a bit wierd unless your SWMBO lives on the brakes or you live near the sea maybe? Last time I changed a set of pads I'd done 60k on them and I don't drive much on motorways.

BMW tried some utter *******s with us that the car had "1500 braking miles left" and we should give them £1000 for new disks and pads all round. I asked them what "braking miles" were and they couldn't explain it. They hadn't measured anything just gone on what the computer said.

Brakes are a cash cow for dealers.

Was that the one where they used information stored on the key or something? I remember that one. :D

Was that the one where they used information stored on the key or something? I remember that one. :D

No idea, the 'tech' got rather sheepish when challenged and went onto other 'recommended' work (totalling £3500 on a 5yr old car worth about £7k).

• Like 1

Thanks everyone. Different service staff this year and you could really tell.

They've always been laid back and interested in the customer. This year it was hard sell on the service plan and the brakes.

I don't for one minute think they are that heavily worn. Was just interested if a high percentage of wear would flag as an advisory. It's almost like they didn't want anything committed to paper. We shall see

Anyway. Thanks again everyone!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk