New shape Corsa 1.4 n/a petrol ('65' plate)

Sammycarp

I have a courtesy car for a few days, while the green machine (http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/335944-vauxhall-corsa-13cdti-ecoflex-ac-stopstart/) goes in for some warranty work (7400 miles on the clock).

• Loss of power at ~3000rpm along with service light blinking, recovers after approx 3-4 seconds.  
  • Broken driver's seat height adjuster handle. 
  • Broken lug on fuel filler which prevents it from 'stowing' inside the flap during filling.

This one has done approximately 900 miles, so partly run in.  The car seems smooth and quiet, and rather sprightly and well suited to urban driving.   The gear ratios seem too far apart for faster roads, there's a noticeable lag (almost like turbo lag) when changing up a gear.

20151103_083058.jpg

I'm not sure of the exact spec, but this car has quite a few features that probably aren't standard on the base model:-

• Heated front screen
  • Heated front seats - too hot!
  • Heated steering wheel - too hot!
  • 'City' mode with lighter steering - the standard is too light and doesn't give much feel, I can't see why anyone would want it any lighter?
  • Cruise control & speed limiter
  • Auto lights
  • Front fog lights
  • Auto dimming rear view mirror - no on/off switch like my old Octy had, and not sensitive enough.
  • Tyre pressure monitor - which displays PSI for each corner on the dash
  • Bluetooth 'phone connection
  • Alloy wheels

Overall its ok, but I'm not looking forward to the fuel bill - the trip computer suggests I'm getting around 30mpg compared to my 51.8 long term average for the green jobby.

My main gripe is the really shallow seat base - it stops about 4" (10cm) short of the back of my knees, and feels as though I'm perching on a bar stool rather than sitting on/in a proper seat.   As a consequence I can't get properly comfortable, and don't want to try any longer (>15 mins) journeys in it - although I may still have it for a cross-country trip to Peterborough (~3 hours) next week, so watch this space for an update if that happens.

We recently had a Mokka 1.4 Turbo 6 speed auto as a courtesy car.

It had absolutely no turbo lag! Went like a stabbed rat!

Also found the heated seats and steering wheel too hot.

We recently had a Mokka 1.4 Turbo 6 speed auto as a courtesy car.

It had absolutely no turbo lag! Went like a stabbed rat!

No turbo lag on mine (no turbo!), just a rev band without much oomph when you change up - suggesting that the ratios are too far apart (especially 2nd to 3rd).   Closing the gaps and adding a 6th gear would make it much more driveable.

I guess that's naturally aspirated engines for you.

Most cars now are fairly long geared even the non-turbo ones which can lead to a feeling of it bogging down if you change when you normally would.

I was quite impressed with the 6 speed auto the Mokka had. Decent gearing through town with it able to shift quickly into the next gear but also not screaming it's head off on the motorway.

Was really impressed by how well it took off too. Quite a bit of torque low down in the rev range too.