YETI RUST/ZINK INCLUSION PROBLEMS.

jonah666

Hi I am thinking of buying a new Yeti 4x4  but have been put off by the reports of premature rusting of all 4 doors & tailgate on Yeti,s coupled with a poor responce fot repair under warranty. Has this problem been resolved now or is it an ongoing issue? Combine this with the ongoing VAG diesel scandal & its very offputting. I have had a few Skoda,s & currently own 2 roomsters which have been trouble free. I do like the Yeti but these issues are stopping me buying one. Any comments on the rust issue are welcome & I am sure VAG will sort out the diesel issue in time.

Slight zinc problem with mine that the dealers dealt with promptly and correctly. No rust anywhere.

Only other matter has been 2 broken rear springs at the MOT last year, but that seems to a problem affecting lots of cars locally.

No other problems in the 99k miles it has now done.

Reading forums is a fine way to get info about problems like the Zinc inclusion problem-no reason to suppose it is common at all I've had two yetis and driven two more none had this problem so in my experience a 0% risk. Don't be spooked by what might happen occasionally. If it happens to someone especially if not dealt with quickly and well it is a problem for most it isn't.

I had a diesel for three years and it had no problem with the software and none has such a problem now-American lawyers make a living from molehills which they make mountains of. VAG seem to have found an artificial way to make cars pass artificial tests.

• Like 1

So far these are the faults that I've not had on the Yeti ( that I've had on other (new) cars):

• Wiring failure causing unexpected rear wipes
  • Pedal assembly dropped off (!)
  • Rear suspension mount broke
  • Steering wheel leather peeled off
  • Body trim flies off on motorway
  • Synchromesh failed on gearbox
  • Premature clutch failure

So far on Yeti - no problems

Have to say i've had 90k miles of trouble free yeti ownership.

I've been affected by the zinc rust problem on all passenger and drivers doors. Skoda quickly agreed a full bare metal strip and re-spray.

Other than that nothing else.

I'd have another Yeti if there was a bigger one.

Be patient

Unfortuantely, I don't have that luxury. The Yeti has to be replaced next year (company lease) so have gone for a Mazda CX-5 Sport, but am buying the Yeti for the wife.

Unfortuantely, I don't have that luxury. The Yeti has to be replaced next year (company lease) so have gone for a Mazda CX-5 Sport, but am buying the Yeti for the wife.

Caution

'Reliability' wears a cardigan

^^^^ I take it you aren't in the position of a maturing lease or px/private sale situation, everyone is different and it depends on your particular position.

"so have gone for a Mazda CX-5 Sport",

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Well if you must, let us know what you think of it.

Be interested.

Thanks for the support.

Really wanted another Yeti when lease expires in March next year, but needed a bigger boot.

Limited options on our lease policy restricted us to the following

Q3 base model - no thanks

X1 base model - no thanks

Yeti 2wd upto SE+ spec - backwards step from the top spec Elegance that we have, didn't have the spec that i wanted. Zenons, Leather etc. Boot too small now with a growing family and dogs. All VAG models have been removed from lease list until further notice, because of the scandal, so no longer an option

RR Evoque - expensive and very small inside. didn't fit

Mazda CX-5 top spec - good engine (maximises return Pence per Mile being a 2.2diesel), good mpg (averaged 56mpg fill to fill over 800 miles on the demo), excellent kit level, comfortable and plenty of space.

We love our yeti so much we are going to buy it at the end of the lease as our 2nd car. Even though it will probably have over 130K miles on the clock. The only thing that is showing signs of wear is a small patch of worn leather on the drivers seat and a slightly shiny steering wheel.

I'm now on my 6th Skoda - 3 Fabia Tdi estates, 2 Yeti 140 Tdi 4x4 and now an Octavia 150 4x4 estate and can honestly say, that of all the cars I have owned over far too many years from Ford Populars to VW Golfs to Subaru Imprezas, in terms of quality , value for money , reliability and overall cost of ownership they have proved to be excellent. However, I feel that Skoda , having done a fantastic job under the VW brand are now in danger of becoming too 'mainstream' in their image and pricing and losing that difference that has made them such a success these last few years.