Amundsen MIB1 Map Updates are now available!

Left it downloading over night but laptop went into standby and it stopped. Carried on this morning. Still around 7hrs to go then. That's the problem when everything is designed for the fastest internet available. Here we have the slowest internet around barring the old dial up.

Ha ha, and you southerners make out it to be sooo grim ooop north!  Just set mine to download and its saying approx. 66mins, that's with Sky Broadband through the old BT copper wiring but hard wired to a PC, not through the wifi!

Ha ha, and you southerners make out it to be sooo grim ooop north!  Just set mine to download and its saying approx. 66mins, that's with Sky Broadband through the old BT copper wiring but hard wired to a PC, not through the wifi!

66 minutes? Pah !!

Soft southerner downloaded in 14 minutes and then unpacked onto SD card in 12 minutes. Not via WiFi and used the direct download link.

Joking aside it can partly be luck of the draw as well as the users connection speed.  I noted that the download site does not have a consistent data rate and sometimes stalled the download for around 10 seconds or so. Either traffic load or throttling?  

• Like 1

Surely that is even more of a reason to update it?

Even though these maps are branded 2016, the filename gives it away that they were compiled in Q1 2015. Who knows what date survey data they are based on though ....

I know it used to take TomTom approximately 2 years for a change to make it in to a release, as they have to be verified etc. This was before they started letting users submit changes and all hell broke loose with people reporting roads as being closed and it getting pushed out to everyone as an update!

At the time no, it was a good reason not to update, as it seemed as though updates made no difference (not new roads not on a newly updated satnav). However I have just noticed this time round (as you have now just mentioned) that the updates arent exactly new. That would make a lot of sense, and something i wasnt aware of until today.  So yes, knowing that, it would make sense to keep updating.

However, you also have to take into account that I am stuck with a 10hr download time. Is it surprising I just couldnt be bothered before?

Anyway, all is well this time. It eventually downloaded and the Sat Nav is working just fine. Next time I will set my laptop so that it doesnt go into sleep mode, and let it go overnight again.

Taking into account where I spent around 6 happy years growing up, its you thats the southerner!!!

I never pick on the north. Only Sheffield :devil:

Unfortunately where i live not only do we not have fibre optic (unless you go with some unknown entity that the village gave a fibre optic contract to), but our normal broadband is also incredibly slow, and getting slower.

Even the fibre optic we do have is only fibre optic up until the village main exchange, and then it runs off normal BT wires, so wouldnt be too sure that will be very fact fibre either.

Perhaps if the village hadnt given this silly contract to an unknown entity, BT may have been more willing to install full fibre optic.

Edited by JungleJames
  • Like 1

Mines, done, so 1hr 30mins including back-up old, extract new and copy to SD, sorted, and thanks to aki78 for the direct download link, much easier than the stupid Skoda update portal!  I assume this link also gets around the 3yr limit supposedly set by Skoda, but only time will tell if I still have the car when the next update is released as I'll be on 80k miles by then so itching for a new motor already! 

• Like 1

Mines, done, so 1hr 30mins including back-up old, extract new and copy to SD, sorted, and thanks to aki78 for the direct download link, much easier than the stupid Skoda update portal!  I assume this link also gets around the 3yr limit supposedly set by Skoda, but only time will tell if I still have the car when the next update is released as I'll be on 80k miles by then so itching for a new motor already! 

I don't think they could enforce any limit by solely asking for the VIN. Too easy to cheat. Oops sorry......shouldn't use that word in connection with VAG.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Apparently no updates exist for my satnav (Amundsen)

Not impressed - have tried everything to source an update.  Bought the car (1.2 SE+) new in May 11 and the mapping was 2 years out of date then!  

The dealer just pointed me to the Skoda site which, as I said, is no help.

On top of that, the GPS aerial failed earlier this year (although to be fair, the dealer did cough up half of the cost (£40) for a replacement).

Any ideas out there ?

Many thanks

Help required  sorry to be such a technophobe.....

Somewhat confused as to how to update maps. I have submitted my vin number, a new map is available.  I have copied the  SD card from my Amundsen unit on to the hard drive of my computer.  I am currently down loading a file ending... Q1.15zip  to somewhere on my computer's C: drive.

What do I do when the downloading finishes, and how do I get it back on to the Sd card from my car (do I have to erase the previous data from the SD card....a little bit apprehensive about wiping all the map details).

Do i have to unzip it (whatever that means) before copying back to the sdcard.

I have looked at the instuctions, but they don't take into account technophobes like me.

I look forward to positive instructions from you helpful people

Map updates for the original Amundsen are dealer only, and chargeable.  Only the latest MIB units have free updates from the Skoda website.

Thanks Mannyo  They didn't tell me that when I bought the car.  The unit is pretty useless anyway - I'm glad I didn't spec as an extra on the car.  

The Skoda update webpage has the most useless instructions, IKEA's flat packs are far superior. There is no guide as to how to go from the download to copying said download to the SD card. There are a few folders on the card and no instructions as to what to delete; in fact it does not tell you to delete anything! Took a gamble and deleted the Markets folder (I did a backup in case of problems) after seeing on screen messages about there not being enough room/drive is not empty/install to root directory.

A PROPER set of instructions would be very helpful!

I have now transferred the download to my SD card but it's too dark to see if it works so I will leave it till tomorrow to see if it's worked or not.

If you are using the official downloader on the Skoda website it unzips the files for you to your card

I used the Skoda downloader  but it certainly did not unzip the files to my card as suggested, I spent some time wondering what to do with Markets>EU>Map>Map Regions>vde etc as there was no instruction to delete any or all of them, the downloader did nothing until I took the gamble of deleting them.

Surely in this day and age this could/should be done automatically by the downloader program, the whole proceedure should be automated.

I just hope it worked.

From Skoda webpage:

• For the operating system Windows you will be provided with a download manager that will guide you through the whole process of downloading and unpacking the data. All downloaded files are in ZIP format. (So, no need to do anything then? You download it, unpack it, then what? It magically transfers itself to your SD card?)

3. Import of the data into the infotainment system:

• Import of the data into the infotainment system:

Rant over, will report success (or ask how much a new card is) tomorrow......

Edited by ajw1100

If I use the Skoda downloader for the Columbus it most definitely asks where you want to extract the files to. I think you may have to click 'Next' or something like that once the download has completed.

Is there not a PDF upgrade guide for the Amundsen further down the page, there is for the Columbus?

Hi Andy.

Yip, it did ask where to extract the files to, I entered the location of the SD card, in my case 'H:\' got message 'Not enough room' or 'H:\ is not empty, delete data from selected directory?' Delete what data? All data? & would that include the Skoda section? or just Maps, or ?

The Update Guide pdf is similar to the guide on the webpage and when one mistake could cost you a new SD Nav system card its costly to get it wrong. Reading some of the other posts here it seems I am not the only one to struggle with this apparently easy updating malarkey.

I replaced the SD card and held my breath, :sweat: 'Starting Navigation' appeared :clap: It worked :party:

There is no way anything you do in terms of deleting data off of the card etc. will cost you a new card, I don't know where that notion has come from.

You can delete everything off of the card, you can even format it if you want before copying the new Map data to it.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

There is no way anything you do in terms of deleting data off of the card etc. will cost you a new card, I don't know where that notion has come from.

You can delete everything off of the card, you can even format it if you want before copying the new Map data to it.

I've always formatted my card and its always worked using the Skoda downloader.  Couldn't be more simple

• Like 2

Great. That's good to know, and very useful for next time.

I know from previous experience deleting by guesswork is a very risky undertaking, even if you've backed up the files. It would be nice of Skoda to include that little gem in their guide! I did not see any reference to deleting the cards contents or formatting the card, must have missed that bit........

AJW1100

trying to do mine now. I foolishly thought Downloader would overwrite the SD card, wrong! I'm currently deleting the "markets" folder & it's contents.

I did copy all the data to my hard drive first, so should have a fall back should the update fail.

I'm not quite as adept on the PC as I was before I retired, forgotten most of what I knew!!

R22JGB

Logically the downloader should do the job or at least have proper instructions on what to do. I think there is one thing we have may have not appreciated, we have to think 'Skoda logic' and that may be not what we take as Logical!

Quote:

I'm not quite as adept on the PC as I was before I retired, forgotten most of what I knew!!

Un-Quote.

Regrettably, I know exactly what you mean......

Hope it went okay for you as well.

• Like 1

The instructions are pants!

Take a full copy of the card, then delete everything off of it, then run the downloader and let it unpack to the card.

Or just download manually from the link and extract yourself using WinRAR and copy across to the card (back the card up and delete everything off of it first).

• Like 1

Just realised I haven't commented on the update.

Yes all worked fine once I'd deleted files from the SD card. The update went as it should and sat Nav is up and running on the car.

Strangely when I got the car (3 month old ex Skoda car) it had no SD card so sat Nav wouldn't work. Dealer gave me a brand new card, still didn't work as unit would not recognise the SDcard. Car was due to go in to be looked at, then the original SD card turned up, once inserted Sat Nav worked fine.

• 5 months later...

I wish the Columbus ones would show up soon. I am perilously near the end of my 3 years of free updates.

Edited by Paulius55