99 Octavia Gearshift.

CRB

After adjusting it a while ago, things have been fine until recent weeks, when finding 1st/2nd has been getting more difficult, particularly when moving and changing down from 3rd. At a standstill there has been frantic stirring and cursing, then it all goes into 3rd, sometimes 2nd then rarely into 1st.

I readjusted the cables this morning, but things were no better. There is a distinct 'bendiness' in the selection around 1st/2nd, as if the cables are stretching. A little drive of three miles was a nightmare unless I was changing up/down between 3rd/4th/5th.

There is slop in the pivots, but I have also found that the plastic guide on the arm, to the bottom of the picture below has lost its upper and lower edges. The picture was taken just before I took it out on a test run. On returning, I discovered the loss of the upper edge.

The Haynes I have seems to cover removal of the complete gearbox and not the components. To remove the the tower, it seems that it requires removal of two bolts and the tower will pull out. ?Do I need to watch for anything while I do this?

post-127474-0-14414600-1447333792_thumb.jpgpost-127474-0-62635100-1447333802_thumb.jpg

The tower would not move so I left it, in the hope that I do not need it out.

I did find a remnant of a previous incumbent. The guide on the left is properly useless, so after scouring the net, I have ordered a new one, £40 is a bit steep but I need to be mobile.

I cannot make any sense of the parts required to change everything over to the later type of shifter, for future use.

post-127474-0-11849400-1447444522_thumb.jpg

I had a similar problem but lost 5 completely and 1-2 on and off . Ended up taking the linkage housing out the top of the gear box and replacing the bearings in the housing parts are available from tps I did make a thread on it I think

Jim

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/367056-gear-box-selection-problem/?fromsearch=1 there you go

Edited by jublybug

Thank you for the response and link.

I spent a lot of Thursday and Friday trawling the net and here for answers, and got nowhere in particular.

Although yours is the later shifter, I suppose the fault could be the same. I will try to get it out tomorrow, well if it stops raining.

My new part turned up a day earlier than expected, double-edged sword, being early but no-one in to sign for it.

The difference is night and day, BUT no difference to the shift at all. On the drive with the engine running I could get the gears after a bit of readjustment, and was able to move off in each. Into 1st, off the drive and into.......nothing, just a stirring, bendy hole and a false neutral. A bit more stirring and into 3rd. Changing down to 2nd produced the same bendy hole.

I am now officially lost. I need to know what next, being the first car I have had to work on, I am almost blind, almost but not inept.

?Could it be the splines on the tower? I can move the horizontal selector arm easily beyond the stops I thought would restrict the movement.

I will do a video on Thursday with commentary.

post-127474-0-73625200-1447793200_thumb.jpg

Edited by CRB

The shaft that gos straight down into the box , has it got any movement side to side ,it should turn and go in and out but not rock .if so its probably like mine was play in shifter bearing .parts are avalible but its a tricky job

Jim

Culprit found.....possibly. This would explain the excess movement I felt.

Now the matter of fixing it rears its' ugly head. Hopefully this does not bring a further issue to the fore.

post-127474-0-05020200-1447945662_thumb.jpg post-127474-0-29238200-1447945663_thumb.jpg

Thank you for all the, helpful comments and suggestions, @jublybug

Only ten days and everything is done bar a tiny bit of adjusting. 1st, 2nd and reverse are a little notchy but all gears are present and correct. I had not realised that there was a flat on the tower shaft and selector arm. Had I realised I could have centre-popped the life out of the arm and fitted the new one at my leisure. As it turned out my new arm arrived this morning before 10.00am and was effectively done in half an hour. I did centre-pop the flat so I could see it and it did give a bit more resistance on assembly.

post-127474-0-19263100-1448109029_thumb.jpg

Edited by CRB

• 1 year later...

Things have been quiet on the Octavia gearshift front until a month ago when the clutch went, properly slipping smoke and nothing else. I had it done by a garage, £500 which I felt was reasonable. £300 for the dual mass flywheel and clutch and a day to do it. 

This morning however, a mile or so to drop Dearly Beloved at work and no gears again. None, just a stirring motion at the lever. Since I have not repacked my tools, I walked back home, and have to walk back to it in the hope that the shift tower bolt has come undone. I mentioned it to the garage and he made sure it was done up well. 

That nut is the only thing I can think of, but any further input would be appreciated. 

Fixed in the carpark.

Somehow the rotating part of the shift mechanism has come out of the guide.

Quick fix would have been quicker without the promenade to and from.