Any experience with hastings-claims

BrownBarge

Had a small bump yesterday evening while i was going into tesco carpark. I was turning right into the carpark and a lady exiting the carpark drove straight into me. She admittedly fault straight away because she didnt see me.

Anyway i'm insured with hastings direct and so is the lady that hit me so communitcation between insurers shouldnt be to much bother lol.

Has anyone any experience with hastings and their claims processes? Time scales etc..

Although my car is still driveable due to the damage and the fact the car is a high mile 03 octavia VRS it'll most likely be classed as a write off.

It'll be what's known as a Bi-Lateral claim, (same insurer for both sides) they'll try and fob you off on price that they'll offer you if they do write it off, but you just have to prove that it's worth more, or try and squeeze more out of them.

Shouldn't take too long to sort, but expect 1 month to get it all sorted

Edited by 20vKarlos

It'll be what's known as a Bi-Lateral claim, (same insurer for both sides) they'll try and fob you off on price that they'll offer you if they do write it off, but you just have to prove that it's worth more, or try and squeeze more out of them.

Shouldn't take too long to sort, but expect 1 month to get it all sorted

Balls already rolling luckily. Car will be getting collected this week etc.. Although so far i'm not been filled with much confidence.

They also said because its hastings vs hastings i'll have to pay up the rest of my premium in full out of my settlement fee and since the policy renewed on the day of the bump it'll be the full years insurance (£540) which will take a huge chuck from whatever i get. I will have to kick up a fuss when i come to that bridge

That's complete and utter rubbish, you just pay for what you've used and if there is a claim in that time then the have to still sort out the claim.

I'd be getting advice from others on this, that sounds like a complete and utter lie!

I think Hastings Direct are trying to pull a fast one

That's complete and utter rubbish, you just pay for what you've used and if there is a claim in that time then the have to still sort out the claim.

I'd be getting advice from others on this, that sounds like a complete and utter lie!

The first payment for this next year hasnt even been taken from my bank yet aswell. Thing is, once ive got the settlement i'll be buying a new car within a few days so i can just put my new one on the policy and carry on. Just a faff

That incorrect. You purchase a full years insurance, although this can be split over several payments.

If there's a claim, most insurance companies insist on the full years premium to be paid in full. This is normal. :)

• Like 1

That incorrect. You purchase a full years insurance, although this can be split over several payments.

If there's a claim, most insurance companies insist on the full years premium to be paid in full. This is normal. :)

Usually yes if your to blame but i'm not. The 3rd party has admitted fault. If this was a hasting VS directline claim i wouldnt have to pay my premium off but because its hastings VS hastings i'm going to lose out even though for an accident that wasnt my fault.

Usually yes if your to blame but i'm not. The 3rd party has admitted fault. If this was a hasting VS directline claim i wouldnt have to pay my premium off but because its hastings VS hastings i'm going to lose out even though for an accident that wasnt my fault.

It all depends on how you (or Hastings) has made the claim.

By rights, you should not be making a claim on your (Hastings) policy at all if the other party has admitted liability. It should be a total 3rd party claim. On this basis, regardless of the relationship of the two insurance companies of both parties, you could on fact tell your insurance company you were not using them and instruct a 3rd party claims company to manage the claim against the 3rd party. This would mean no recovery of insurance premium would be needed from your policy, as no claim has been made or instructed.

My guess is Hastings are probably going 50/50 as it's easier to manage for them. I would definitely ask how they've done it.

I also guess it's too late to leave Hastings out of the loop from your end ?

It all depends on how you (or Hastings) has made the claim.

By rights, you should not be making a claim on your (Hastings) policy at all if the other party has admitted liability. It should be a total 3rd party claim. On this basis, regardless of the relationship of the two insurance companies of both parties, you could on fact tell your insurance company you were not using them and instruct a 3rd party claims company to manage the claim against the 3rd party. This would mean no recovery of insurance premium would be needed from your policy, as no claim has been made or instructed.

My guess is Hastings are probably going 50/50 as it's easier to manage for them. I would definitely ask how they've done it.

I also guess it's too late to leave Hastings out of the loop from your end ?

I will have to ask them tomorrow how they've done it. I dont fancy been out of pocket. Whatever i get back from the car will be used to buy a new car having just got a house i have no spare funds.

All this just comes at a bad time.

I will have to ask them tomorrow how they've done it. I dont fancy been out of pocket. Whatever i get back from the car will be used to buy a new car having just got a house i have no spare funds.

All this just comes at a bad time.

If it's 50:50 and you have an admission by the woman (Check she hasn't changed her story), then take them to the cleaners, via the ombudsman route if required.

Edited by cheezemonkhai

If it's 50:50 and you have an admission by the woman (Check she hasn't changed her story), then take them to the cleaners, via the ombudsman route if required.

I will the toss with them first. The 3rd party admitted fault straight away and also confirmed her fault with hastings.

I just dont want to be penalised for something that wasnt my fault. I had planned to keep this car for sometime. Already had it 3 years

Now dealing with TLSS in terms of final settlement. Rejected the first offer waiting on a second.

Anyone dealt with them before? How long does it usually take them? Never been in this situation its all new to me

• 4 weeks later...

Ok so just to update. All been paid out now and new car purchased. As a result of this claim though the insurance on my new car doubled, if i get quotes on the price comparison sites prices are similiar however if i un-declare the claim for a quote insurance prices are half. I should never of got out of bed that day.

Ok so just to update. All been paid out now and new car purchased. As a result of this claim though the insurance on my new car doubled, if i get quotes on the price comparison sites prices are similiar however if i un-declare the claim for a quote insurance prices are half. I should never of got out of bed that day.

It's an absolute joke that insurance companies do that. You could be sat at some traffic lights minding your own business and someone texting smashes in to the back of you. Because of this, supposedly you're now much more likely to make a claim yourself within the next 3 years. Go figure.

Have you lost any of your no claims bonus? Seems like a large hike for a no fault claim. I've had 2 x non fault claims in the last 5 years, both hardly main any difference to my premiums, both with my incumbent and competitive companies.

I would just clarify with Hastings that it has been settled as a non fault :)

• Like 1

It's an absolute joke that insurance companies do that. You could be sat at some traffic lights minding your own business and someone texting smashes in to the back of you. Because of this, supposedly you're now much more likely to make a claim yourself within the next 3 years. Go figure.

Thats pretty much correct mate it blows.

Have you lost any of your no claims bonus? Seems like a large hike for a no fault claim. I've had 2 x non fault claims in the last 5 years, both hardly main any difference to my premiums, both with my incumbent and competitive companies.

I would just clarify with Hastings that it has been settled as a non fault :)

Already checked and double checked with them. Still got my full no claims and settled as a non fault

Thats pretty much correct mate it blows.

I would say shop around now. Obtain quotes from many companies and see if the basic premium is in the same ballpark as you're currently paying.

It might pay to give 2 fingers to Hastings and insure with another.

Also not sure on the ethical perspective. If Hastings are wildly out of sync with the premium they are charging you, that itself might be cause to talk to CAB and the Ombudsman.