Helix SMF whining

Fitted a Helix SMF tonight, I knew about the spacer that needed to be fitted to stop the whining on deceleration, I've fitted one spacer but it's still noisy as hell on Decel. Just wondering for those who have one fitted how many spacers you used? Is it just a trial and error kind of thing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's a black cap on the end of the box you take that off and it goes in there, think it's where the bearing is for the main shaft. http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?6089802-02M-whining-decel-noises-aftermarket-clutch-disengagement-issues-mainshaft-axial-play

No it didn't do it with the other clutch fitted, it's stopped making the noise now. Problem we've got now is the bite is right at the very top of the pedal and we can't get it to go down. Tried bleeding the clutch twice and it's not making any difference at all. Was a brand new Sach's release bearing we put in, any ideas?

Pretty sure if it's air in the system you get a low bite point,or crunchy/hard to engage gears as the air compresses and doesn't push the cylinder out fully.

What CSC is supplied by Helix?

Could be they use a slightly different one,and you fitting a Sachs one is slightly incompatible,might be worth ringing Helix.

• Like 1

We tried that way Steve, I'm not a mechanic or anything but my mate said something about trying too pressure bleed it or something? I don't know!

That's what we were thinking Kev, maybe the CSC supplied by helix is slightly bigger to accommodate for the Single Mass instead of the Thickness of the dual mass. I'm going to try and get in touch with helix today and see what they say I'll let you know the outcome,

Appreciate the help!

• Like 1

I had a similar problem with clutch bite to high after fitting a new DMF and Sachs uprated clutch, after lots of messing around it turned out to be the clutch master cylinder, it was not fully releasing the hydraulic pressure and so only a small amount of pedal movement disengaged the clutch.

I diagnosed the problem by accident when I loosened the clutch bleed screw and the first bit of fluid came out under pressure, the clutch biting point was then ok until the clutch pedal had been operated a few times and it slowly went high again.

I believe that was causing my initial problem with a slipping clutch, I replaced the clutch when in fact the master cylinder may have fixed the problem.

I did get a pattern clutch master cylinder from a motor factors as that was all i could get hold of at short notice, it was terrible and had to be changed asap for a genuine Skoda one so I would suggest if you need to get one to go straight for a Genuine Skoda part.