Timing Belt or Chain

Cowimars

Thanks. So it need changed after year 4 ?

No, but chains don't last forever and tensioners can fail. I think there were some issues with the earlier TSI chains and tensioners.

My wife's Corsa is 16 years old and still has the original chain and is still quiet. When they become noisy either by the tensioner rattling then consider replacement. I have never had to replace a chain in my life

• 1 month later...

Hi! I'm new to this forum as I'm just about to buy and collect a Roomster!  Please could someone tell me for definite whether the car I am taking delivery of next Tuesday has a cam chain or cambelt? It's the 2007 Roomster 3 1.6 petrol automatic version.  This is a bit worrying for me as I forgot to ask about this before I put a deposit down on this car :sweat:  , so I'm committed now, and as it's a high mileage (57K) I would rather know than not! I have read through a few other posts on this subject, and they indicate that it does have a cam chain, which I would be far happier with.  Thanks for any replies. :)

Edited by Morgana

1.6 petrol is a chain and 56k is very low mileage for a 2007 car.

Wow that was quick!  Thanking you very muchly for that reply! :D

Another question... I intend towing a micro caravan (fully laden weight 650kg) with this car. As it's an auto, does it need a separate oil cooler fitting for the automatic oil (sorry for the girl-speak) or is this ok as it comes? (i.e., does it already have one fitted).  And as it has reversing sensors, can I turn them off when towing?

Edited by Morgana

Why worry about turning the reversing sensors off ?   So it has a constant tone when reversing, does it matter. You don't reverse that much. Personally I have never got the knack of reversing my trailer, especially around corners.

• Like 1

Nah it's fine. Just don't do it again ;)

Cooling wise you will be just fine with a micro caravan, I think 650kg is the limit.

Are they genuine sensors?

No idea until I go and collect it but I think so....

Aubrey -  good point... I don't reverse my caravan unless I have to! :)

Thanks for the replies, you have been so helpful... I bet I'll have more questions later! :)

My 2008 Roomie's only done 46,000  :)

Never towed with the Roomie (no tow bar fitted) but my previous beastie had reversing beepers and I towed a trailer yearly for my holidays and you soon adapt to the beeps on the rare occasions you have to reverse - I was always happy to hear the beeps as it meant I hadn't left the trailer somewhere down the road...  :)

• Like 1