Cold start issue

Your engine started... Just looks like IMMO cut it off...

Ask Skoda assistance for faults code...

Yeah, I haven't seen that before.  Normally it's the wife who encounters these issues and she never told me it starts and then cuts out!

Typical, Skoda assistance arrive and it starts and runs without cutting out on the first turn of the key!

I showed him the video and he suspects fuel system problem, which I'd agree with now I've seen it start and cut out!

Ask for faults... that will tell the story...

or use "carista" app to read it...

No faults on Carista, I've looked before.

The Skoda assistance guy said there is an intermittent communication problem with the ECU.

When getting in for a cold start,. & you unlock the doors (drivers door) and get in the car before even putting the key in the ignition are you aware of the pump priming the fuel?

& Maybe give some Super Unleaded 97/99 ron a try, or just change where you buy your fuel from.

Dodgy fuel pump or blocked fuel filter could account for what I saw in the video.

Don't see how high octane fuel will fix anything in this scenario.

Was the last Journey it made a short one?

A couple of times I have moved my partners Qashqai off the drive and onto the road on an evening so i can get out (1.6 petrol) and the next day because it hasn't warmed up I think the plugs must get condensation on them or unburnt fuel and refuses to start until you give it about 20 seconds of cranking and put your foot flat to the floor on the accelerator. Only happens if its really cold

Edit: just watched the video, deffo looks like immobilizer is turning the engine off but its strange that it doesn't bring the symbol up on the dash. 

Edited by SuperbTWM

Just watched the video, and it looks like the fuel system is not getting primed,  so have you heard it as you unlock the car and get in before the key goes in the ignition.

& as far as people saying that 95 ron fuel does not cause anything like this, 

then obviously they have not had much experience of some fuels causing poor cold starting, and regardless of if it has nothing to do with it 

there is no harm in trying some decent fuel or from another supplier to see if it helps.

Another common issue is where fuel with moisture (H20) was purchased and the Inline Fuel filter has H20 in and is freezing.

(very common with diesels in days of old, and still now, not so much with petrols.)

Poor petrol quality will bring you "check engine" dash light... and it will start engine (petrol) anyway...  :)

It wasn't minus 20 deg. outside...

Another common issue is where fuel with moisture (H20) was purchased and the Inline Fuel filter has H20 in and is freezing.

(very common with diesels in days of old, and still now, not so much with petrols.)

Can you tell me where is that filter in petrol engine? :P

Most of petrol car hasn't got one (inline)...

Can you tell me where is that filter in petrol engine? :P

Most of petrol car hasn't got one (inline)...

Petrol fuel filters (which petrol cars do have) are usually located under the car (rather than in the engine bay).

Unlike diesel fuel filters, petrol fuel filters often don't require frequent replacement.

Sent from my iPhone 6S Plus using Tapatalk, please excuse any typos.

It's suffered with poor starting since new and you've waited until it won't start before getting it to the dealer?

I'd have been back after the second prolonged start!

^ what he said! :)
  • Like 1

there is no harm in trying some decent fuel or from another supplier to see if it helps.

Problem is, he's got nearly three quarters of a tank of fuel and he can't run the engine, so adding a splash of super may not be a viable solution.

I would be getting some live data logging on the battery voltage, you would also get this type of issue if the voltage regulator on the alternator is faulty, The lack of the alternator charging will cut the engine out like this on some vag models.

It's currently with the dealer who've asked to keep it a week to get to the bottom of it.

I don't think it's related to fuel quality as the problem has been present and getting progressively worse for a month or more now, the car has been refuelled several times at a variety of different filling stations.

Edited by naxtek

It's suffered with poor starting since new and you've waited until it won't start before getting it to the dealer?

I'd have been back after the second prolonged start!

^ what he said! :)

We haven't owned it from new, it was 18 months old when we got it in August 2015.  Yes, the cranking time was slightly longer than you might expect, but it always started after a few seconds and at the time I just put this down to be a characteristic of the engine.  It never failed to start entirely and didn't display any other problems.

Once there was a definite problem (it didn't start without 3 or 4 attempts) we booked it in the same week.  They then gave it back to us (unfixed) and the problem recurred, but worse.  I wouldn't say we'd waited at all?

Never anything to be gained from waiting.

As the car is under warranty and not owned from new, all the more reason to take it in at the first hint of an issue. You have no idea how badly the car was ragged or otherwise ill-treated in that period before you bought it.

Use the warranty for its purpose and ensure any niggles today don't develop into expensive breakdowns after the warranty expires.

Sent from my iPhone 6S Plus using Tapatalk, please excuse any typos.

• Like 1