Cold start issue

Im assuming the OPs car is covered under the Skoda roadside assistance (which is the aa) so when its got the fault if the aa man who comes out can diagnose the fault and tow you to the dealer they have a record of the fault and can then get it fixed?

OP - this is a really good idea and will help your case as its trusted independent verification (and won't cost you anything).
  • Like 2

Im assuming the OPs car is covered under the Skoda roadside assistance (which is the aa) so when its got the fault if the aa man who comes out can diagnose the fault and tow you to the dealer they have a record of the fault and can then get it fixed?

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

yes- agree - just ring them everytime it errors. -- also collect as much video proof as you can

Car was purchased used from a car supermarket, not a Skoda dealer.  Before you jump to conclusions, I'm VERY picky about the quality of cars and am very good at spotting signs of mistreatment and crash repair.  To be honest, I wouldn't normally buy from a car supermarket as most of them are ex-fleet cars patched up for sale.  But this car had one owner from new who was a private individual, with full Skoda SH and has clearly never even seen so much as a wheel refurb.

Have one AA report from when it cut out 1/4 mile from the dealership (we were <2 mins walk from the dealership, called their service dept. first but they weren't interested).  The report says they just unplugged and re-plugged the low pressure fuel pump and it worked again.

yes- agree - just ring them everytime it errors. -- also collect as much video proof as you can

The problem is it usually faults first thing in the morning when my wife is going to work.  As a teacher, her main concern is getting there on time and sitting around and waiting for the AA isn't really an option - especially when it will eventually start after the 10th turn of the key and/or fiddling with the fuel pump connection.

We are videoing it every time there is a problem.

Edited by naxtek

Another update.

Skoda UK have so far been absolutely useless.

It keeps faulting.  Faulted this morning, called Skoda Assist out.  Wouldn't start for them either, until he whacked the fuel pump with the wrong end of a screwdriver (apparently it's an old breakdown mechanic's trick) and it fired into life.

We now have ANOTHER report indicating it's a faulty fuel pump and it's gone back in to the dealer.

This is the fourth visit to a Skoda dealer.  We now have 2x AA reports and an independent report stating the fuel pump is at fault.  Several videos of the fault occuring.

Skoda UK still dismissive and say it has to fault at the dealership for them to diagnose it.

Skoda UK still dismissive and say it has to fault at the dealership for them to diagnose it.

Leave it overnight outside the dealership, drive next morning with another car and let them try to start it.

P.S.: It is this particular kind of behaviour that makes you want to commit insurance/warranty fraud. Just to take back what they owe you.

Leave it overnight outside the dealership, drive next morning with another car and let them try to start it.

P.S.: It is this particular kind of behaviour that makes you want to commit insurance/warranty fraud. Just to take back what they owe you.

Problem is it only happens maybe once or twice a week at most.  Sometimes it goes for a fortnight without faulting.  It's kind-of impractical to leave it there!

Bear in mind the dealers have already had it for weeks on end.

WOOOHOOO progress.

It's taken A LOT of very firm discussions with Skoda UK but we finally got there, I think.

Spent a few days talking to one of their case handlers getting nowhere.  Just hollow apologies.

Then asked to be escalated and things went a lot better.  Yesterday and today it's been a 3-way discussion between Skoda technical, Skoda CS and the dealer the car is at.

First I got an admission the mis-fuel diagnosis was "most probably incorrect" (they hedged, but that's good enough for me).

Finally today said they'll replace the fuel pump and fuel pump control unit (the obvious culprits, as identified by 2 roadside patrols and an independent garage) even though they can't guarantee that will fix it (as it's currently working fine).

Obviously still horrified this has been going on for months, and about the first dealer tried to tell us we'd put diesel in it when we CLEARLY hadn't.  Will be having further words when we get the car back repaired next week!

• Like 1

Believe it when it happens.

Wouldn't be surprised if they back peddle a few days from now and deny they agreed to anything.

Believe it when it happens.

Wouldn't be surprised if they back peddle a few days from now and deny they agreed to anything.

I'm not that cynical.  The person I've been dealing with since I escalated the issue has been surprisingly good and has followed through on his promises so far.

Given how much we've been messed around, I have been recording my calls with them so have something to fall back on if they did change their minds about it.

Priority number one is getting the repaired car back which should be middle of next week, then I will have a few words to say to them about the whole experience!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, not updated this for a while.

Had the car back for exactly a week now since they replaced the fuel pump and fuel pump control unit, and no recurrence of the fault yet.  Fingers crossed it's sorted!

• Like 2

I believe it has been sorted. :thumbup:

It just occured me however, that they should compensate both for the time and money you spent because of their incompetence, and for the unnecessary wear of your battery and starter all this time you spent cranking a starved engine.

I know they won't, but it would only be fair.

• Like 1

I believe it has been sorted. :thumbup:

It just occured me however, that they should compensate both for the time and money you spent because of their incompetence, and for the unnecessary wear of your battery and starter all this time you spent cranking a starved engine.

I know they won't, but it would only be fair.

Yes, they know I still have strong words to say to them about the whole affair.  Priority #1 was getting the car fixed, so we're having 2 weeks to road test it with the new fuel pump etc, and then going to discuss the whole affair.

The thing that still irks me the most is the first dealer claiming it was diesel contamination and trying to charge £1,700 for replacing the entire fuel system!

• Like 2