Changing front & rear discs and pads

I've changed hundreds but can't remember if you have to remove the caliper carrier when changing the discs.

It's a standard Fabia vrs.

I changed some 312's the other day and had to remove the carrier but not sure about the standard size.

I'm pretty sure on the rear you can keep the carrier on.

Just checking incase somebody's done a set recently and can confirm :)

Thanks

If you've got standard sized vRS front discs, then yes you have to remove the carries to change them. I've never done the rear's myself so no idea about those. There is a pic guide for rear brakes somewhere on here.

Edited by Jim H

Carriers can stay in place on the rear, although you do have to wiggle the discs a bit to remove them.

I preferred to remove them though when I did mine, purely because the calipers/carriers are painted and I didn't want to chip any off ;)

I thought it was as such... Fronts are nice and easy to remove anyway so not like it's an issue. It was the rears that can be a pain... A large Allen key or torx iirc and usually need a power bar to crack them off.

Mines an SE so the calipers and carriers are red anyway, going to clean them up when I change the discs and pads anyway so will see if they need touching up!

I've got some black diamond drilled and grooved discs and pads for the front and back. Standard size for now but will 312 next year.

I checked the drivers side front caliper when I did the timing belt and it seems in very good condition so might get away with cleaning and polishing them when replacing the discs

Warning Time . When removing callipers, take EXTREME caution when removing any allen bolts, as the machine shop I used to fit heli coils to my front disc carrier tells me that Most VAG ARE PRONE TO THREAD DAMAGE.

Yeah, mostly cross threading i belive, ive done loads and never had a problem with the allen key. I have however had one carrier bolt siezed and dragged the threads out of the hub, so that needed to be heli-coiled. Im always extra carefull now and have a small wire brush to go down the back of the disc to clean the end of the threads before removing.