Amundsen crashes when iPhone plugged in

I've got the MIB1 Amundsen along with the Mitsumi interface, and for a while now I've had a problem when plugging the phone in. Sometimes it will work fine and other times it will completely crash the stereo - it turns off and won't power up until the phone is removed, then does a full boot from cold which can take a couple of minutes.  This was happening on iOS 8 as well as 9.

It's the older dock style connector on the Mitsumi cable plugged into a dock to lightning adaptor - I've tried swapping the adaptor which made no difference either.

I've tried several iPhones all of which can cause the crash so I'm ruling that out as a cause.

The dealer has done a software update on the stereo which hasn't made any difference. Any ideas if there's a separate update for the Mitsumi interface?

I've also got the problem where the screen responds to random non existent touch inputs, but at least that's a known fix.

Strange one - I have the Mitsumi connection on my early Octavia Mk.3 and have had no issues, initially I had an iPhone 4S then a 5 which I replaced a month ago with a 6S Plus and have had no such issues. Occasionally when starting to play a track it puts itself into pause and then I have to press play to get it to work but other than that nothing like you've described. I always update to the latest iOS. I did have a duff connection lead that caused all sorts of grief including error messages on the Amundsen (think it was shorting out) but new lead cured it

Edited by Timoctav

Next time you are at the dealer, ask to plug your phone & your cable into one of their cars to prove that its not these causing your problem.

After that I'd guess they be looking to replace the mitsumi interface & internal cable & then the head-unit if the problem persists.

They have asked me if I've swapped the MDI cable, but the answer was no as I'm not spending £50 to troubleshoot a problem that isn't my job to do. 
I have tried other phones and the Dock to Lightning cables though.

• Like 1

Is the phone on low charge when you get the 'crash'? If so that is the problem - the system can't cope with the power drain to run the phone and itself. Charge from the power socket until in the green sector.

I suspect this is because you're not using the proper Mitsumi Lightening cable unfortunalty.

It's been working fine for more than a year with the dock to lightning adaptor, and it's not caused by the battery being low on the phone either as it can crash when it's fully charged too.

The dealership have mentioned that some phones aren't compatible but didn't elaborate on this point.

When I had the problem with my Mitsumi cable after a fight the dealer leant me a new cable on sale or return to prove /disprove the source of the fault. If you spend £20k+ on a car it's the least they should do!

Apparently there is a compatibility list for the Amundsen, and the iPhone 5S is the last one on the list, so there was some suggestion it was my 6S causing it.

An excellent theory, but it used to happen when I had a 5S as well.

Apparently there is a compatibility list for the Amundsen, and the iPhone 5S is the last one on the list, so there was some suggestion it was my 6S causing it.

An excellent theory, but it used to happen when I had a 5S as well.