Jet washing DPF

Hi all,

About a month ago I had my DPF regenerated and was told that it was down to 4%.  Since then I have done a trip to brussels in my car so didnt think i should be having problems.  Low and behold the dredded light keeps coming on again so when I had some VCDS upgrades done I had my DPF checked and these are the results :-

36.8% Particle filter load coefficient

42.53 Particle filter carbon mass

-9.4% Carbon mass learned value

My question is after all the talking I have done is has anyone taken a DPF off and cleaned it with a good old jet was? how easy is it to do? and finally doe anyone in the Sheffield/Nottingham or close to there fancy helping me with this?

Many thanks in advance

Tom.

It does clean OK, and you can get chemicals that clean them. But why is it filling up???

I asked the same questions, even ended up getting the DPF replaced then removed. But I have looke dinto it more and more, turns out the fuel pump was letting engine oil into the fuel, which burned poorly, and filled the DPF up. Check your fuel filter, is it black?

Jet washing a DPF is a short term fix. You'll still see the DPF light soon enough afterwards.

Also you still have to remove it and reinstall it after the clean.

There are more and more companies like this that offer a 'send off' and 'return' service but that still means the car is out of action for several days. They do offer a 12 month warranty though...

http://www.dpfcleanteam.co.uk/

Opinions are divisive on this one, and for good reason, I sold my Octavia vRS when the DPF started to fail (other issues too), however I was contemplating keeping the car and having it professionally removed.

This is where the DPF internals are removed (which you'd have to do anyway to have it cleaned), the DPF casing is welded back up and the DPF related sensors are mapped out. This then allows the car to pass it's MOT as the DPF check by the test station can only be visual.

There are rumors of changes to the MOT test making it harder to remove the DPF but they've been talking about them for years now and probably will continue to talk about them for years to come, well after the car dies a natural death.

You should also be aware that there are now an increasing amount of aftermarket DPF's coming onto the market for a lot less cash that the £1,000+ Skoda dealers want. Granted, they might not be as good but if a £500 patterned DPF get's you a good few years hassle free motoring and MOT passes then it can't be so bad.

The internals of the DPF contain metal baffles with very fine holes and a special coating. Can't see this doing it much good, probably why it is a temporary fix...

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 1

Tom, the soot level will vary constantly depending how long since the last regen (passive or active).

Until it is full of ash I wouldn't worry.

The light may be coming on due to how your journeys are. Driving into Nottingham is the only time I've had the dpf light come on. Lots of driving in traffic means more chance of it coming on.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk