Rear tyre wear superb estate l&k

iancjc

Hi

Has anyone else suffered this? Car's in for an mot and whilst checking it over last night I realised the rear tyres are both probably fails, only had this set on for 9 months and 10/12k miles, fronts still have 6mm and look like new but the backs are both like slicks..... Wear is even across both rears.

Decent Michelin on 18" wheels. Tyre wear has always been heavy but I've never had rear tyres wear like this set.

Place doing the mot has checked for any faulty batch and said they should be fine, guy suggests they must have been switched from the front at some point but I know that's not happened.

It's due a service after Xmas so if there is something that needs a check I'd be grateful for any advice.

Thanks

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

Hi

No, it's a normal front wheel drive 2.00tdi,

did have a week in france with 3 kids, 4 bikes on the towbar and boot stacked, and another trip into Germany with the same load minus the bikes. Cars not been used for towing for the past 18 months either (and not at all on this set).

Mostly it has an overnight bag and a laptop in the boot. Not loaded heavily 90% of the time.

Car mostly trundles up and down the motorways,  the fronts are seriously like new and the backs were below 2mm across the whole tyre.

Almost believe the guy at the MOT place and wonder if someone swapped them when i left it at the airport in the summer for 3 weeks... 

I've never had more than around 15k from a set of 4 but also the wear is normally consistent across all 4 - previously never been heavy on tyres until this superb - got 45k out of my old landcruiser and used to get 30k+ from the rears on a Mondeo (which covered 150k miles in 3 years).

The wear on our 2014 L&K twindoor is as expected after maybe 28K miles from new. Fronts are down to maybe 3-4mm and I'm expecting to replace around 2yrs/35-40K next year whereas (from memory) the rears look like they have loads of tread left (3yrs/50-60K?). Could you get this excessive but even wear from mis-alignment at all??

It's also odd that your general tyre wear is so heavy.

Seems really odd. What tyre pressures are you using and have they been the same on all tyres? 15K does seem low as well even on 18s especially with predominantly motorway driving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had my winter/summer tyre change last week and discovered that the inside edge of my rear offside tyre was down to the metal braiding! I had a heard a noise but thought it was the bearing going.....

It's either a very poorly fitted tyre (weights) but more likely a suspension bush/wear issue on the rear. A bit of googling suggests an alignment/four wheel check....

Dave

Thanks all, been away for Christmas. It's due a 60k service in the new year and I will get the suspension checked. Had everything realigned at 30k due to uneven wear rates. I've now dropped the pressure in the rears as I tend to run then at the fully inflated pressure but never higher.

Thinking of trading it before it gets to 80k miles and I have to have the dsg box fluids done so figure I'll need one more set before that milestone.

Will let you know when the dealers had a look.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

Edited by iancjc