Tips on fitting a DTUK Pedal Box

octavia5

A few tips to help people fit a DTUK Pedal Box that the instructions leave out.

1. Remove the small trim plate under the dash to the right of the throttle pedal to get better access to the connector – a single star screw and it pulls forward out of a rear griper. Very simple to reinstall, just slot the rear into place and replace the screw.

2. There are many reports that the Box is easy to install but difficult to remove, I have not tried removing it yet but took the precaution of rubbing a Qtip soaked in Silicon Lubricant over the sides of the connectors before installation in the hope it might make it easier to remove in the future.

3. The Box comes with instructions on how to remove the connector supplied with the box – the one with a Grey Locking Connector, i.e. to press in and down to release.  This is OK, but the OEM connector has a RED Locking Connector which has to be pressed IN and UP and it is stiff.  I spent many unhappy minutes on this till I found an installation Video on Utube which shows how to do it but also shows the RED connector clicking open very easily – not in my case.

4. While the Box comes with a Velcro mount for surface mounting most people will want to hide it away.  I put mine into the little cubby hole by the drivers knee. Simply remove the end trim plate from the dash – it is stiff but will come off - and you can easily route the cable up the in of the dash side out of sight and with a single loop to lose the excess drop it over the top to the cubby hole which will still open for easy access, though not as far as the cable will restrict it. Replace the end trim

5. I have already wired a 3 way ciggy adapter in mine but there was still enough room for the Pedal Box controller.

6. Lastly, when you switch the ignition off the Box LED(s) do not go out straight away, they extinguish about 5 mins after the car is locked.  They also come back on as soon as the car unlocks so can appear as thought they have been on all the time – confused me for a while till someone else explained it to me.

Lastly it does work!! Virtually eliminating any initial throttle lag and improving pick up impressively, all the while still being smooth to drive in traffic. My R is a DSG and some people have said that the Box is not suitable for DSG cars but I have no problems and it performs well even on the lowest setting, it is possible that highest settings cause some people to have sensitivity issues but I have not experimented as I am happy with at setting 1 for now.

A few tips to help people fit a DTUK Pedal Box that the instructions leave out.

1. Remove the small trim plate under the dash to the right of the throttle pedal to get better access to the connector – a single star screw and it pulls forward out of a rear griper. Very simple to reinstall, just slot the rear into place and replace the screw.

2. There are many reports that the Box is easy to install but difficult to remove, I have not tried removing it yet but took the precaution of rubbing a Qtip soaked in Silicon Lubricant over the sides of the connectors before installation in the hope it might make it easier to remove in the future.

3. The Box comes with instructions on how to remove the connector supplied with the box – the one with a Grey Locking Connector, i.e. to press in and down to release.  This is OK, but the OEM connector has a RED Locking Connector which has to be pressed IN and UP and it is stiff.  I spent many unhappy minutes on this till I found an installation Video on Utube which shows how to do it but also shows the RED connector clicking open very easily – not in my case.

4. While the Box comes with a Velcro mount for surface mounting most people will want to hide it away.  I put mine into the little cubby hole by the drivers knee. Simply remove the end trim plate from the dash – it is stiff but will come off - and you can easily route the cable up the in of the dash side out of sight and with a single loop to lose the excess drop it over the top to the cubby hole which will still open for easy access, though not as far as the cable will restrict it. Replace the end trim

5. I have already wired a 3 way ciggy adapter in mine but there was still enough room for the Pedal Box controller.

6. Lastly, when you switch the ignition off the Box LED(s) do not go out straight away, they extinguish about 5 mins after the car is locked.  They also come back on as soon as the car unlocks so can appear as thought they have been on all the time – confused me for a while till someone else explained it to me.

Lastly it does work!! Virtually eliminating any initial throttle lag and improving pick up impressively, all the while still being smooth to drive in traffic. My R is a DSG and some people have said that the Box is not suitable for DSG cars but I have no problems and it performs well even on the lowest setting, it is possible that highest settings cause some people to have sensitivity issues but I have not experimented as I am happy with at setting 1 for now.

Photos please if possible of installation.

Shame no videos showing before /after, to emphasise the improvement and justification of investment.

Thanks

I have no link to DTUK only use their Pedal Box and am pleased with the result, some extra info and vids - I did not take pics etc as this info is readily available but did see the need to add a bit of extra info from personal experience.  Note this does not increase BHP or Torque it just makes the standard power more accessible and smoother in my experience. 

For Extra Power fit an FSR+ for petrol or CRD-T for diesel

Various useful Vids: - many others available on utube

Refer to this thread for info on access to side of Dash for routing - last 2 pictures,

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/294828-fitting-a-multiway-cigy-adapter-to-a-mk3-octavia/

DTUK themselves explain the effect and I concur,

http://www.diesel-performance.co.uk/box-details.php?id=15

Edited by octavia5

• 2 years later...

Hi just read your thread im picking my 2.0 Vrs up this week what setting do you find is best to keep on all the time on the pedal box have ordered one so can fit it when i get the car \thanks