Limp mode

jackg

VCDS code is 17965 positive deviation.

I have a VCDS lite cable.

The faults are turbo, vacuum tubes or N75.

In May N75 was replaced and replaced the vacuum pipes with silicon ones.

The difference is that the old were 3.5mm diameter and the new were 3mm diameter.

Diagnostic at a garage in August when the fault was ID as the turbo. Turbo was rebuilt in September when I added a blanking plug to the engine breather pipe which feeds to the air inlet, I added a length of washing machine hose to the breather and vented it to the bottom of the engine.

After replacing the turbo the engine ran fine for two months, no issues at all. After about 2-3 weeks I disconnected the 10mm vacuum tube to the EGR to stop the EGR from working and the engine seemed fine afterwards.

I have prodded the turbo actuator to see if it moves ok, it does move ok.

Recently replaced the EGR with a new VW one.

The limp mode I experience is almost random; tonight at 2000RPM, yet earlier today i did not hammer it and it was fine to 3200RPM, did not rev any higher.

Other times when I thrash it, the limp mode kicked in at 4000RPM.

It does seem sluggish when cold and acceleration is not that brilliant until the turbo kicks in.

The temp sensor triggers the console light at temperatures of about 3' or less, but switching the engine off and on gets rid of it.

The driving I do is not long distances15-20 miles but it does vary, rarely the same, wrong engine really.

What on earth is the fault?

Edited by jackg

I've have the same fault code on my 1.9tdi, mine is intermittent though. I suspect mine is sticking veins in the turbo, I am going to replace my N75 though. There are guides on here about using Mr Muscle oven spray cleaner to clean the veins on the turbo, so might be worth giving that a go?

I also have the same fault which is also intermittent. I done the mr muscle in the turbo but didn't move the actuator while it was I there so will have to do it again. I also cleaned the egr while i was at it. Not touched the n75 yet. Temp sensor and maf all that it runs a bit better but there's still an issue. Strange thing is though that now the fault code doesn't show up on vcds which is odd considering there's still a fault.

I've have the same fault code on my 1.9tdi, mine is intermittent though. I suspect mine is sticking veins in the turbo, I am going to replace my N75 though. There are guides on here about using Mr Muscle oven spray cleaner to clean the veins on the turbo, so might be worth giving that a go?

YES!

• 3 months later...

Crap Chinese rubber.

Silicon vacuum tubes had more than one crack in it.

Replaced the 3mm vacuum tubes and it goes well.

Buy British.