Servicing cost and grade

wire

Hi everyone,

My rapid sport is due for its second service. I had it serviced last year which was a a minor service I think the mileage was 7k and it cost approx 130.

I have received a offer of a service which is half price at 49 quid but it is only a minor service and apparently it needs a major service.

Do you think it needs a major service at 259 quid as the mileage is now only 11.5k So yep only done 4K since last service.

Does anyone know what extra do they do in a major as opposed to a minor service

Thanks in advance everyone and merry christmas

They change the plugs, air filter, pollen filter etc., plus you get the stamp in your book and (hopefully) no hassle if you need to make a warranty claim. There's no reason why you can't haggle the price down or get it done elsewhere though. I bought a service package with my car - one major service, one minor service, an MOT and a brake fluid change for £179 - which has taken the sting out of the service.

They might change the spark plugs. Unlikely if not at the mileage schedule to.  (so not spark plugs.)

Brake Fluid change is 3 years and then ever 2. So that costs extra.

Major / Inspection service, a bit of a rip off really.

Oil / Filter , Plug / washer (Plug really.) Pollen Filter, Fluids Check. Inspections and report,

it should be a road test, and on the diagnostics and any Software Update / Enhancements done.

Body Inspection, reset Service Indicator etc etc 

Money for Old Rope.  Lots of expense to keep a Warranty Valid.

Independents can do it, and for less cash money.

• Like 2

2nd service on a petrol Rapid at 20k or lower is only an oil service + pollen filter. Air filter and spark plugs are not changed.

Sent from my iPhone 6S Plus using Tapatalk, please excuse any typos.

They might change the spark plugs. Unlikely if not at the mileage schedule to.  (so not spark plugs.)

Brake Fluid change is 3 years and then ever 2. So that costs extra.

Major / Inspection service, a bit of a rip off really.

Oil / Filter , Plug / washer (Plug really.) Pollen Filter, Fluids Check. Inspections and report,

it should be a road test, and on the diagnostics and any Software Update / Enhancements done.

Body Inspection, reset Service Indicator etc etc 

Money for Old Rope.  Lots of expense to keep a Warranty Valid.

Independents can do it, and for less cash money.

Agree. Money for old rope.

The warranty remains valid as long as you use genuine/approved parts. An independent can do that for you. Moreover using a non approved oil filter, for example, cannot invalidate a warranty claim for an electric window motor.......as an example.

They change the plugs, air filter, pollen filter etc., plus you get the stamp in your book and (hopefully) no hassle if you need to make a warranty claim. There's no reason why you can't haggle the price down or get it done elsewhere though. I bought a service package with my car - one major service, one minor service, an MOT and a brake fluid change for £179 - which has taken the sting out of the service.

Do Skodas have a service book to stamp? Thought cost cuts had got rid of them?

Just had the major done - no plugs or filters - a rip-off TBH.

Edited by camelspyyder

Do not pay the £259 for a major service, Skoda should feature on the BBC's Rogue Traders!

Minor service = oil and oil filter

Major service =  oil and oil filter, air filter*, pollen filter*, spark plugs (petrol)* and fuel filter (diesel)*.

Note the asterix's (*).

These items are only replaced "if required", which on almost all Skoda models isn't until at least three years old or 60,000 miles.

Yes, there are people out there being charged £259 for a £139 oil change, unbelievable.

Skoda try and fluff up the major service a little by claiming there are additional checks done but this is rubbish. Any dealer will be looking for opportunities for extra work whilst they have your car so the checks are completed regardless of the chosen service.

See here...

http://www.skoda.co.uk/owners/service-and-maintenance/simply-fixed/default/

Go for the £49 deal, that is a cracking offer.

In fact, get the £49 oil change and ask them to add the air, fuel and pollen filter on top from their menu pricing, it will likely still be less than the full price minor service! 

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 1

It's all rather opaque, but on Skoda's webpage (http://www.skoda.co.uk/owners/service-and-maintenance/simply-fixed) it lists a breakdown for the 20k service. It includes plugs and air filter with the caveat "These items will be replaced, if required. This will be determined by the manufacturer's service regime data" so I guess it's left to the punter to check this up front with the dealership prior to the service.

I must admit my experience at Skoda has been much better than the shower of **** at Vauxhall. Skoda: car serviced to specification, no quibbles access courtesy car for the day and car washed and vacuumed before being returned to me. Vauxhall: car serviced at the end of the day so I had to hang around the dealership 'till nearly 6pm, returned to me unwashed with the warranty item (rear washer not working) left unfixed an no chance of a courtesy car... and therefore no chance of repeat business from me!

• 2 weeks later...

Was it definitely a minor service i.e. oil and filter change?

Skoda have now introduced an 'inspection' service which is just that, a visual inspection, no parts or fluids are renewed.

If you got oil and an oil filter that was a cracking price.

• Like 1

Was it definitely a minor service i.e. oil and filter change?

Skoda have now introduced an 'inspection' service which is just that, a visual inspection, no parts or fluids are renewed.

If you got oil and an oil filter that was a cracking price.

Yep, service book stamped, inspection report, oil and filter change. £49.99

Was a service sale on and it had to be done between the 29th and 31st of Dec. I was off anyway so thought get it done  

can soon change the air and pollen filter myself. thought it was a waste to have a major service at £279 as it has only done 12k in 2yrs

• Like 2

Got mine booked in for 20k service beginning of Feb at an Independent who will do manufacturers standard service - £122 and a few pence. Not being ripped off by SKODA.

Edited by Matt17121991
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

Just dragging this thread up again, bit of info, I'm confused.

My car has covered just 6,560 miles in just under 2 years. It had it's first service with barely 3k on the clock. It's a 1.2 TSi

My Toledo throws up a message saying INSPECTION 4 days. The service is not due until April, I had the service inspection reset to 12k miles/12 month intervals last April. So according to the MFD it's around 2 months early.

Now having brought up Service on the MFD it says OIL CHANGE 5500 miles/70 days and also INSPECTION 12200 miles/4 days.

Ok so I can work out it needs a service (2nd service) in 70 days, (which ties in with April date this year)  but what's the inspection in 4 days??

Another question, if I go to an independant they should be ok with resetting the service indicator, but what about any updates the car may have, go to SEAT for them?

After reading all the above thread should I just go for a minor service again, it seems no spark plugs are changed and I gues in my case @6560 miles (may get 7k on it by then) they won't be?

Edited by MickA

Just dragging this thread up again, bit of info, I'm confused.

My car has covered just 6,560 miles in just under 2 years. It had it's first service with barely 3k on the clock. It's a 1.2 TSi

My Toledo throws up a message saying INSPECTION 4 days. The service is not due until April, I had the service inspection reset to 12k miles/12 month intervals last April. So according to the MFD it's around 2 months early.

Now having brought up Service on the MFD it says OIL CHANGE 5500 miles/70 days and also INSPECTION 12200 miles/4 days.

Ok so I can work out it needs a service (2nd service) in 70 days, (which ties in with April date this year)  but what's the inspection in 4 days??

Another question, if I go to an independant they should be ok with resetting the service indicator, but what about any updates the car may have, go to SEAT for them?

After reading all the above thread should I just go for a minor service again, it seems no spark plugs are changed and I gues in my case @6560 miles (may get 7k on it by then) they won't be?

My Rapid does this aswell! I had about 18,000 miles on my car when INSPECTION pinged up and then OIL CHANGE not long after, when it doesn't need a service until 20,000 miles/2 months time. I usually do around 1000 miles a month and it come up around 2 months early, strange? Must be to do with the way you drive etc maybe?

Edited by Matt17121991

My Rapid does this aswell! I had about 18,000 miles on my car when INSPECTION pinged up and then OIL CHANGE not long after, when it doesn't need a service until 20,000 miles/2 months time. I usually do around 1000 miles a month and it come up around 2 months early, strange? Must be to do with the way you drive etc maybe?

I don't get out much. :D

I use another car too, service that myself, roll on the self service on this one.

Hate going to dealers for service, hence I'm getting in contact with my local garage for the next service. They tried to get me to take my Citigo to them, wish I'd done that when I had it.

I know they have larger overheads but last year £139 for an oil change :x

Matt & Mick.

It looks like neither of your garages reset the service counter.

Matt - 18000+ is the mileage for the variable servicing regime and the inspection warning on mine was about 20 days earlier- so yours was set up for long-life servicing but they didn't change the counter when you had it done at 10k.

Mick - the inspection counter on mine from new was set for 18000/2 years give or take.  It's clear that one has never been reset on your car either.

Mine was serviced on longlife around 16/17k and is now showing service needed at 35k ish.

Edited by camelspyyder

Mick - only a VAG dealer or VAG-approved workshop has access to software updates for our cars. An Indi will be able to reset the service counter (it only involves holding down a couple of buttons, means you can even do it yourself if you were to self-service the car), but they will not be able to acquire or install any firmware or other ECU updates.

Matt & Mick.

It looks like neither of your garages reset the service counter.

Matt - 18000+ is the mileage for the variable servicing regime and the inspection warning on mine was about 20 days earlier- so yours was set up for long-life servicing but they didn't change the counter when you had it done at 10k.

Mick - the inspection counter on mine from new was set for 18000/2 years give or take.  It's clear that one has never been reset on your car either.

Mine was serviced on longlife around 16/17k and is now showing service needed at 35k ish.

I asked them to reset to 12k miles/12 months at the first service, they told me they had done it, Grrr :thumbdown:  I know it was set to 18000 miles from the factory. Could have saved myself bother and left it, I'd struggle to achieve 10K miles in 2 years.

I let the local Skoda dealer service it, SEAT service prices are far too high.

Edit.....infact thinking back I thought I had checked this myself when I got the car back from service. You can check when the next service is due on the MFD, am I right in thinking this??

Edited by MickA

Have you tried it?

It is there but mine didn't reset when I had a go.

This works on my Toledo , had to do it manually when the garage forgot to do mine after last service