Help with power outlet for dash cam

Festive greetings! :beer:  :happy:  I received a Nextbase Dashcam for  Christmas and fitted it into the car tonight finally. Ive just noticed that the power outlet has a constant live to it, meaning Id have to unplug the power plug every time I leave the car. Is there any way around this?

Cheers , Dan

A piggyback fuse holder into a switched live in the fusebox, all you need is in here...

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/236786-dash-cams/

And here...

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/265343-dash-cam-12v-multi-adaptor-hidden-install-driver-storage-compartment/?hl=%20fubar%20%20dash%20%20cam

14.jpg

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 2

Dan 

I have a Blackvue DR 500, It is hard wired through the Power magic pro ....   http://www.amazon.co.uk/Power-BlackVue-Vehicle-Recording-System/dp/B00LN2BZL2 easy to wire up & gives you the option of shutting down the camera when the car battery drops below a certain voltage or you can set it to stay on for a certain amount of time or both. I paid £ 28 for mine but as you can see from the link Amazon have it cheaper.

Paul   

HOY THAT'S MY THUMB!  :peek:

• Like 1

Thanks for all the info. All really helpful! The power magic pro looks like a good bit of kit. Is the piggy back fuse holder a safe way of wiring it up?

Sure is. Safer than a tap I'd say.

Plenty of space to hide Gubbins behind the side panels. I have a twin cigarette lighter in the superb and a 12v to twin USB converter in the fabia. Easy to do.

I would recommend getting a clip on ferrite to go around the power and ground cable. I had lots of radio interference with out of. Wrapped the wire round twice and voilà back to normal.

Nice one. I like this idea. They sell those fuse holders on amazon and I have some credit from a gift card. They are 20amp but presumably the wiring is same just need to swap the fuse for a 5 amp?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Nice one. I like this idea. They sell those fuse holders on amazon and I have some credit from a gift card. They are 20amp but presumably the wiring is same just need to swap the fuse for a 5 amp?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Yep I used one of those with a 12v to 2x USB socket. I get a spare USB power connection to charge my phone then too :)