Light issues

Hoping someone can help, I have a 2010 Skoda Superb elegance. The other day a warning message came up to tell me to check the driver side reverse light, got the missus to check while I put it in reverse and sure enough it wasn't on. Got a replacement bulb from halfords went to replace it but the bulb element was still intact?, replaced it for the new one just to be safe put everything back together, turned on and checked but still not working! On top of this it also now says both front side lights are not working, I have also checked these and again elements are both still intact but they are not working either now? Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated

Is it an estate or a twindoor (hatch / saloon)?

The MkII Superb does have a very finicky lighting system with lots of strange issues reported over the years.

The biggest cause is the wiring through the complex mechanism of the twindoor system, the wires chafe and stretch which results in some very strange lighting effects.

Although I've never heard of it affecting the front lights too.

See here for more information and pictures...

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/286139-superb-twindoor-wiring-fix/

• Like 1

Is it an estate or a twindoor (hatch / saloon)?

The MkII Superb does have a very finicky lighting system with lots of strange issues reported over the years.

The biggest cause is the wiring through the complex mechanism of the twindoor system, the wires chafe and stretch which results in some very strange lighting effects.

Although I've never heard of it affecting the front lights too.

See here for more information and pictures...

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/286139-superb-twindoor-wiring-fix/

Hi mate,

I have the twin door model and have just had a read through the link you posted. Many thanks, I have not had a chance to do anything due to work but this definitely looks promising for the reverse light!. I have a feeling that when I was messing around with the reverse light at some point may not have turned the ignition off which maybe why the side lights have stopped working. Do you know if the side lights have their own fuse?

Many thanks again Silver 1011  :thumbup:

I think the wiring around the twindoor might be a red herring, the reason I say this is due to the fault with the front lights. I've never heard of the wiring affecting anything forward of the boot area.

The front side lights are fused but they lumped in with the equivalent rear light, so assuming your rear tail lights are OK then I doubt it would be the fuse. They are also separated left from right and as both front side lights stopped at the same time this too makes it unlikely to be the fuse.

If it was the bulbs then you'd have the 'blown-bulb' warning on the dash.

I'd still check the fuses to be sure, but I suspect something else might be at play here...

Yeah I have a feeling that you are right, its just odd that the side lights message started coming up straight after I looked at the reverse light.

The messages don't say the lights are blown it just says check front right side light, then front left side light and then right reverse light.

I have bought some electrical shrink wrap and some more solder for the wires for the boot so hopefully that will resolve the reverse light at least lol.

Ah, so you do have a warning for the blown-bulbs, my mistake.

If you are getting the 'check' warnings in the Maxidot display together with the amber 'bulb warning light' in the speedo then there is still a change it could indeed be the bulbs at fault.

Certainly worth checking them before starting down the path of employing an auto electrician.

• Like 1

It has been known for a failing filament (bulb still lighting up) to trigger the blown bulb warning system, so that when you do a physical check it appears that nothing is wrong.

The bulb then finally fails but after crying wolf the first time you don't check again for a while!

• Like 1