Cambelt and Dealer

After some opinion on the below,

Had cambelt and water pump changed at a dealer early December. Couple of weeks later car starts making a loud rattle. Not far from home I drive it back and pop the bonnet. Loud rattle from cambelt side. Turned car off. Called breakdown.

I already figured loose tensioner or similar. Breakdown comes we pop the cover off cambelt and no tension in belt at all. Could slide off Lilly with fingers no where near touching the pulleys.

Got towed to dealer and waiting their response.

What you reckon I should get from them, as they have seriously annoyed me and potentially cause major damage to my engine.

On the plus side the citigo I have is nice

Edited by mattcut

A franchised Skoda main dealer I assume?

It isn't your problem now. They have the car and they need to put right their mistake.

If it's a new cambelt or a brand new engine, the responsibility is with them. This is one of the reasons you pay a premium to used a main dealer, in the event of something going wrong you have the reassurance you will be properly looked after.

I'd also be looking at some form of apology too, a free service etc. although you might not want them to touch the car ever again!

Edited by silver1011

Everyone makes mistakes, it's how you deal with those mistakes that counts.

See what happens, it may be the best customer service you ever receive.

Fingers crossed for you, let us know how you get on.

Non reported at present. But waiting for them to put it back together. I think i was lucky that I just turned it off not long after the rattle started. So fingers crossed.

Just out of curiosity, what parts are actually changed by skoda for a cambelt and waterpump? Anyone in the know, know?

Edited by mattcut

Hopefully the rattle was just the tensioner rattling then.

The bits that get replaced should be the belt, tensioner, pulley, water pump and water pump seal.

If the coolant is still good then they will put that back into the engine or if it's past it's best they will put new coolant in (now an additional cost but used to get replaced as part of it I believe).