Diesel fumes when at idle

Hi all this is my first post on the forum, just looking for bit of advice with regards to my diesel octavia, when running on idle it seems to be picking fumes up through the vents? Once on the move its fine I've had it checked at the garage and no exhaust leaks have been found, any advice would be much appreciated if any one else has experienced this and of any known cause many thanks Rich

Havnt experienced it on my octy but,but one of our old work vans had a dodgy seal dripping oil/fuel onto hot turbo once...

worth checking that tbh.. a small leak may be having fumes sucked into air intake at idle and dissipated by air flow on the move

• Like 1

also check the exhaust is mounted correctly, the middle clamp came loose on mine, which left the tailpipes under the back bumper rising up into the space behind.. noticed it more when reversing.

also try putting heating onto recirculating - if it still smells, its most likely exhaust underneath the car. if not, check the engine bay. As mentione above oil or fuel leeking onto hot parts like the manifold or turbo can give exhaust like smells. 

If you've topped up the oil recently, it could be a dribble running down the engine block (quite regular thing for me!)

• Like 1

Thanx all for the advice gave me heads up on few pointers on what to check, i looked under the bonnet tonight seemed to get a smell of exhaust fumes around the engine bay so might point to a leak on the exhaust somewhere

any black sooty bits around joints or gaskets will be the giveaway! (with a petrol you have to rely on holding your hand next to the hot metal pipe to try feel a warm draft...)

• 2 weeks later...