cleaned egr now engine is losing power and stalling

Hi a while back i tried cleaning the Egr on my 2002 octavia tdi ALH it was almost totally blocked. I stupidly tried cleaning it with it still on the car. Ever since i have been having terrible trouble losing power stalling difficulty starting. the car will drive fine for days then the trouble starts again usually when engine is under load going uphill etc I have tried new maf  recon fuel pump checked timing etc to no avail still same problems. Thinking about it i think i may have sent some muck down the manifold would this cause the problems im having and is there any way to resolve without taking engine to bits . I know the error of my ways now shouldve read up on it first . the car was scanned and came back with 17552 maf open or shorted to ground intermittent 17964 charge pressure control neg deviation. I appreciate any advice thanks Rich

Sound like sticking turbo vanes. which will put the ECU into limp mode. http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/17964/P1556/005462

MR Muscle fix usually does the trick. Search the forum for a how to.

MAF code could be historical so you need to clear the code & see if it comes back. Was the new MAF genuine VAG?

visually check the maf wiring from the plug back to the loom as far as you can, I had a rover 200 which quite regularly chewed through various wires (over group trying to save money in the end days by using less wire!) you may find a bit of copper wire core exposed earthing out on bodywork somewhere. Cheap fix if it hasn't rubbed right through - a bit of insulation tape!

hi paul and octabus  thanks for reply the maf was a bosch recon one so i trust it was ok  will check wiring for breaks etc one thing i noticed yesterday was when car cuts out i checked and the clear pipe just before pump didnt have any fuel, cranked for a while then it starts but big air bubbles would maf contribute to this thanks again car seems to be running ok now for a few miles and air is gone seems intermittent air bubbles appear.Cheers for help

just spent an hour taking fuel pick up off tank and drilling out the feed pipe as suggested by one or two on this site and it seems its worked car seems like a different one its been cutting out and no power for ages  only gone 30 odd miles and it drives great. a big thanks to people who take time to offer help and advice on here ive spent a fortune which i couldnt really afford at the minute  replacing injector pump ,maf etc only to find the feed pipe was full of muck grit etc which was causing loads of air in clear feed pipe ,loss of power and engine cutting out so if youre having problems give it a whirl costs nothing so give it a go. Thanks 

Hope it works out ok. There is normally quite a bit of air in the pipe, caught me out in my early years. With a negative deviation fault it means your car isn't making the expected boost. Given this and the prodding around with the EGR is suspect a sticky VNT mech in the turbo causing over boost.

Hi thanks thats my next job gonna give the old mr muscle a go and renew vacuum pipes  when i first cleaned egr i had  a lovely turbo boost but unfortunately it only lasted a couple of days then i could feel the turbo wasnt doing its job hopefully mr muscle will do the trick with regards to turbo just glad to be able to get up  hills without stopping been a right pain i  was getting close to calling it a day with the car . I think just after cleaning egr was the only time the turbo had workedprperly since i bought it ive  never owned a diesel so wasnt sure what to expect with regards to performance after all mines only a 90 bhp. 

Hi Biscuit69

Just carried out full de-gunk of my 215,000 miler ALH Octavia - inlet manifold was almost completely blocked behind EGR and VNT mech was jammed on full - took 2 days of soaking with Mr Muscle and pull/push on arm to get it moving freely. can't believe the difference it's made - well worth the effort.

Hi veggie glad to hear its worked for you im waiting for a couple of dry days to give it a go i think lofty has got a how to on the site im gonna follow his advice it seems to have worked for lots of people and saved them a fortune its a good thing we have this help as i would be off the road just couldnt afford garage prices cheers