Panoramic roof won't close!

amstrange1

After starting the car this morning, I pushed the button to open the roof blind as usual - but at the same time the roof slid back. So I pushed the button to close it, unfortunately it wouldn't fully close - although it will move back and forth.

I'm assuming the mechanism is knackered, as I found a small lump of plastic in the runner on one side of the roof - so I guess it's snapped somewhere. I've followed the emergency procedure to manually wind the roof closed - but it won't go fully home, it sticks in the tilted position and binds up.

Has anyone experienced a similar issue?

I had something similar last year. Quite a panic as I was a long way from home at the time...

With mine it seemed to work if the car was moving, but not if stationary. Very bizarre.

I've had no problems since I cleaned the rubber seals and put Gummi Pfledge on them. It's also quietned the opening and closing of the roof and reduced some creaks going around corners as well.

Doubt this will help you, but if you get to the bottom of it, please do post an update.

Near-side runner is broken...

Apparently this necessitates a new roof cassette, priced at £1313 fitted. It's 3.5 hours labour to fit, so a majority of the cost is the part. Going to get a quote using my TPS account, fingers crossed trade on the part is more palatable!

In fairness to Skoda, my local dealer took the car in without a booking today, and managed to diagnose the above failure (by stripping the roof glass out!) and also get the roof fully closed for me. That was a more reasonable 2 hours labour, so no complaints there - aside from the fact that the roof broke in the first place!

• Like 2

To be fair to them, I'd spent at least that time playing with it trying to see what was broken myself. It needs two people though really - one of you to play with the button whilst the other prods and pokes the mechanism, so I'd assume that some of those 2 hours labour are because there were two techs on the car.

Anyway, just annoyed that it's failed - at nearly 5 years old and with 48k on the clock it's a premature failure as far as I'm concerned.

Anyone know of a DIY cassette repair?

Depending on which bit is broken and if you still have the broken bit - there are some excellent bonding agents on the market. might be worth a try.

Edited by killy