vRS TDi DSG - Sport Mode and fuel economy

Hi all.

Before you read on, a quick disclaimer, findings mentioned below are based on MY driving, not yours, you may experience better or worse economy or may not give a stuff anyway so please bear that in mind should you wish to post a response.

So, before Christmas, work dictated that for once, I needed to make an identical journey a number of times, I know that sounds pretty normal but for me it's fairly uncommon.

Having enjoyed pootling around in sport mode I thought I would try to ascertain how much of a detrimental effect on fuel economy driving in Sport mode for whole journeys had over just using 'D'.

My journey is very straightforward, 1 mile housing development speeds, 20 miles of fast A road, 13 miles of MWay and finally 2 miles through a built up area and obviously the same for the return. Journey time, give or take 50-55 mins each way.

I travel at the same time of day and within reason the journey every day for my little test was pretty much the same as in no holdups or major differences in traffic volume.

So, week one was driving in 'D', driving fairly quickly if roads etc. allowed. Actual average fuel economy was 46.7

Week two in 'S' except for the 1 mile at the beginning and the two miles at the end, probably driving a little quicker (as you do) for the remainder. Actual fuel economy was 45.5.

So, there we have it, not overly scientific but it does confirm that there is very little penalty to having fun.

That's it, ramble over, that was a public information bulletin...........

Edited by Mence
  • Like 1

I guess the message I'm clumsily trying to get across is that the DSG must be set up to pretty much hit the engines fuel economy sweet spot so providing you don't mind a slightly revvy diesel, fun can be had for very little additionL expense.

This is the 2nd vRS tdi consumption thread in a relatively short time, but the other bemoaning how bad it can be.

I would expect a vRS tdi to return at least 5.6 L/100 (50 mpg) on a highway run not exceeding UK speed limits so the OP's returns are about right.

I would also expect little difference between sport and Eco modes consumption unless the driver changes his driving style to take full advantage of the freewheeling facility in Eco mode.

I drive a manual and I really only get to use neutral coasting to advantage in urban environments but it can improve consumption by 20% or more.

Hat off to you Mence for having the patience with sport mode, I find it so annoying the way it holds the gear for too long and revs an engine that doesn't really need revving high. In a petrol I imagine it's a lot better. I only use it when I'm gunning it, but even then I switch to paddles for more control over changes.

Hat off to you Mence for having the patience with sport mode, I find it so annoying the way it holds the gear for too long and revs an engine that doesn't really need revving high. In a petrol I imagine it's a lot better. I only use it when I'm gunning it, but even then I switch to paddles for more control over changes.

Thanks!

To be fair, it was done more as a test than to try and make me drive more in Sport Mode.

As I have mentioned before elsewhere, I think a DSG remap would be handy so she shifts gear a few hundred rpm sooner, that would suit the engine / transmission combination much better and still give you a bit of 'urgency'

I actually enjoy it most on MWays, cruising along at 60mph and then putting your foot down to overtake taking you rapidly up to 70mph......ish ;)

Its not better in the TSi, still isn't right.  I rarely use Sports mode as it is pointless unless you're "on it" which is OK if you're on a track but if you aren't going to do that then I don't see the point of it, IMHO.  Power is the same in D and S, it is just shift points, steering wheel sensitivity and throttle that is altered which is why the OP got similar mileage between the two. 

Although, to be fair, its not as bad as some other makes when you press the "sports" button :).

While on the topic of drive modes, what is your understanding in terms of difference in Throttle response and gear shifting on DSG?

I know the DSG has 3 modes Eco, Normal and Sport.

1) Is Eco and Normal the same in terms of when shifting happens, except that Eco has the extra freewheeling? I know sport mode holds onto gears till the engine is into very high revs which I think is pointless

2) Do the three modes have three unique throttle responses? Or are there really only two... Eco and Normal?

On the basis that I'm not a fan of the DSG sport mode in terms of the way it holds onto the gears for longer, I'm wondering if there's any other benefit to Sport mode.

Sent from Tapatalk for Android

I keep mine in Eco mode all the time.

I get the extra economy and also the throttle response, it's much more relaxed which suits my commute. I also prefer the extra lightness of the steering too.

If I'm at a difficult junction or need to overtake I simply pull the shiftier back to pop it into S - the when I'm done it goes back to E.

Not sure about the Eco and normal mode but I think its a compromise between E and S. 

• Like 1

Its not better in the TSi, still isn't right.  I rarely use Sports mode as it is pointless unless you're "on it" which is OK if you're on a track but if you aren't going to do that then I don't see the point of it, IMHO.  Power is the same in D and S, it is just shift points, steering wheel sensitivity and throttle that is altered which is why the OP got similar mileage between the two. 

Although, to be fair, its not as bad as some other makes when you press the "sports" button :).

We are getting a vRS TSi next week,(if all goes to plan........) & were thinking of setting up the car in individual mode once we've decided what's best for us,but

probably leaving the DSG in normal mode.

If we want to select "S" for any reason we will flip the selector back into "S" until we feel that "D" is more appropriate.

(Usually used when wanting to depart quickly or for engine braking when dropping downhill or approaching a junction.)

Not keen in searching for buttons or swiping screens, easier to use the shifter.

I don't think we will ever use the "E" mode, tried it when road-testing, but  found the neutral when coasting & general sluggish response to throttle inputs

unpleasant. not at all in character for a vRS.

If economy was really important to us we'ed choose a smaller car, or a diesel.  

DC

While on the topic of drive modes, what is your understanding in terms of difference in Throttle response and gear shifting on DSG?

I know the DSG has 3 modes Eco, Normal and Sport.

1) Is Eco and Normal the same in terms of when shifting happens, except that Eco has the extra freewheeling? I know sport mode holds onto gears till the engine is into very high revs which I think is pointless

2) Do the three modes have three unique throttle responses? Or are there really only two... Eco and Normal?

On the basis that I'm not a fan of the DSG sport mode in terms of the way it holds onto the gears for longer, I'm wondering if there's any other benefit to Sport mode.

Sent from Tapatalk for Android

1 - No they are different.  Eco mode shifts much earlier and won't rev to 6500 more like 4,000rpm maximum, Normal will rev out to around the normal rev limit before shifting.  Sports will rev slightly higher and allow more throttle before downshifting but I agree can get frustrating in normal driving.

2 - Yes.

• Like 1