Replacing headlights and sidelights

chewy

Hi there,

I was wandering if anyone has a guide of how to replace the head and sidelights on the superb, I've got some nice brighter bulbs, just can't figure out how to get them in, any advice is appreciated.

cheers,

chris.

Just have a look through past posts in this forum. There is one for side lights about half a dozen posts below yours for example. And I am sure there has been one for headlights in the last couple of months.

General concessus appears to be that its a swine and to let the dealer skin his knuckles rather than you.

thanks guys' date=' found the other posts, hmmmm, i will try i think, will have to see,

cheers,

chris.[/quote']

Chris

I didn't fancy skinning my knuckles! Many moons ago when I was after similar information, someone posted a link to PDF file for a Passat, which i downloaded. Let me know if you want that PDF as a guide.

All the Best

Chris

Just have a look through past posts in this forum. There is one for side lights about half a dozen posts below yours for example. And I am sure there has been one for headlights in the last couple of months.

General concessus appears to be that its a swine and to let the dealer skin his knuckles rather than you.

i have the bi xeon headlight on my superb elegance....can you change them the same way as normal bulbs ? i heard you had to dis-charge them first BEFORE you take em out ? true or bull sh** ??:confused:

i have the bi xeon headlight on my superb elegance....can you change them the same way as normal bulbs ? i heard you had to dis-charge them first BEFORE you take em out ? true or bull sh** ??:confused:

I think that someone is having you on there mate.

The sidelight bulbs are W5W bulbs and are the same as Halogen main and dipped beam bulbs i.e. you burn a filament to give a yellow / orange light.

Your main beam and dipped beam bulb is a Gas Discharge / Xenon bulb (in the Bi-Xenon headlamp), which means that it burns a gas to result in the bright white light.

Changing your sidelight bulbs is the same for both Halogen and Bi-Xenon on the Superb headlamps.

Hope that helps?

I think that someone is having you on there mate.

The sidelight bulbs are W5W bulbs and are the same as Halogen main and dipped beam bulbs i.e. you burn a filament to give a yellow / orange light.

Your main beam and dipped beam bulb is a Gas Discharge / Xenon bulb (in the Bi-Xenon headlamp)' date=' which means that it burns a gas to result in the bright white light.

Changing your sidelight bulbs is the same for both Halogen and Bi-Xenon on the Superb headlamps.

Hope that helps?[/quote']

er....just dug out the manuel and it says....

GAS DISCHARGE BULBS (XENON BULBS) OPERATE WITH A HIGH VOLTAGE.

PROFESSIONAL KNOWLEDGE IS REQUIRED...DANGER TO LIFE !!!!:eek:

Agreed, you don't want to be mucking about with the discharge system. Initial loading is somewhere in the region of 20,000V?

That said, there should be no problem changing the sidelight bulbs. The W5W is a standard fitment, across the Skoda range and loads of other marques too. That's the same no matter what system of full/dipped beam you have.

Steve

er....just dug out the manuel and it says....

GAS DISCHARGE BULBS (XENON BULBS) OPERATE WITH A HIGH VOLTAGE.

PROFESSIONAL KNOWLEDGE IS REQUIRED...DANGER TO LIFE !!!!:eek:

If you know what your doing then it's nothing to worry about.

One word of warning though it's 24,000 Volts which the ballast system steps up the 12 Volts too and also don't ever drop a Xenon Bulb as the gas is harmful if inhailed.