VRS xenon self leveling passenger headlight condensation!

I have had a look at the back of the light and nothing seems loose or where water should be getting in. I had a look at other posts where maybe the rubber stop at the back of the bulb may be loose or missing. With the zenon self leveling lights, there is a box at the back instead of a rubber disc and it seems secure.

My headlight only on passenger side is bad with water in it, very bad condensation. I was quoted by skoda, £350 for a new unit!!! I have seen normal headlights on ebay for £80. Could I not bolt on the zenon lights etc onto this cheaper light?? or will I have to buy this £350 unit??

Thanks in advance

Philip

Edited by GingerPhil

£150 delivered here, the D1S bulb alone is worth the best part of £50...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SKODA-OCTAVIA-VRS-MK2-PASSENGER-N-S-XENON-HEADLIGHT-COMPLETE-GENUINE-2004-2009-/252239262807?hash=item3abaa1b457:g:1c0AAOSwaA5WjD2S

Edited by silver1011

The FL xenon headlights seem to rarely come up on eBay but £350 is probably about right from a dealer. It contains an extra motor for left/right movement and in theory it should also have two new control modules if ordered from a dealer. Not sure if it's possible to get just the headlight without the control modules...

I wouldn't bother trying to switch the xenon lights into a non-xenon unit, they have different electrical connectors (14 vs 10 pin) and the halogen unit won't have anywhere for the two control modules to attach either. Also, they aren't designed to be taken apart, removing the lens will include some amount of heating, prying and cutting - the end result will vary on your skill but it's completely possible to ruin headlights this way.

If there is no physical damage to the headlamp then I'd be tempted to bring it inside and let it dry completely and then check the vents. At least this topic suggests it might need one blanking off: http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/49370-condensation-in-zenons/

There are at least three on eBay at the moment as I've been looking to grab a pair:

- New drives side without modules: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331638792880

- Used drivers side with modules: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111868960609

- Used 'damaged' passenger side with modules: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131576412321

Make sure the part number starts with 1Z2 (RHD) rather 1Z1 (LHD), that it has a small notch next to the project for left/right movement or obvious control modules on the rear.

Still, it sounds like GingerPhil's headlight is in good condition you hopefully a replacement won't be needed ;)

So I decided to take the light out and dry it out. Fairly easy to remove and got the whole headlight dry with a hairdrier. Put it back in the car and almost as bad again. Not the same large droplets of water in it but just all misted up whereas drivers side has very small "normal" amount.

Looks like Im going have to fork out the £350 to get it changed for new

Upsides is she passed MOT this morn with 126K miles on her no hassles and needed nothing for MOT :)

Are you sure you dried it out, and didn't just evaporate the water inside the headlight? 

Try putting some silica cat litter in an old sock, and put that in the headlight unit overnight. That should dry up any moisture completely.

Im getting condensation in both of mine, i replaced the NS one last year after it got damaged so can't be an age related thing. Im going to take mine out and leave them to dry for a few days i think and see if that cures it. Have to say the whole car has been getting bad condensation, but the weather has been horrific, and no signs of leaks anywhere. 

Are you sure you dried it out, and didn't just evaporate the water inside the headlight? 

Try putting some silica cat litter in an old sock, and put that in the headlight unit overnight. That should dry up any moisture completely.

Il give this a go at the weekend and see how it goes.

Cheers