Ghost in my boot!

Well not quite, more like electrical gremlins.

I have a 2009 fl octavia vrs hatch-

The boot has started opening itself without any prompt! you can hear the motor pop the boot and then it sits on the catch?? It can do this with the engine off/on, stationary or on the move.

I'm not catching the key or the buttons on it and I have tried two different keys with the same result??

I've popped a new battery on and have ordered a replacement lock but I'm hoping its not my body control module, does that control the boot mechanism? I fitted some HID's but took them off after 48 hours in a panic that I would fry my BCM and now this has me worried.

Any ideas peeps? I've had a good dig on here and the web and not really come up with a straight answer.

Cheers

Chris.

water ingress into the boot handle, triggering the "ghost" release?

Anything in VCDS if you do a scan?

Nothing coming up on my basic scan (shark sts) but I can not get hold of a VCDS easily.

Could be water given the amount we've had of late.

Check the rubber boot seal, give it a squeeze. If it is full of water when you close the boot the water runs into the boot mechanism.

Check the spare wheel well, any water in there?

Any other electrical gremlins, parking sensors, rear light blown bulb warning etc?

• Like 1

The external boot release button is a simple electrical switch rather than a mechanical handle. If you can access the connections you could test it with a multimeter and see if it's going open and closed circuit when it's supposed to be. 

Have a good look at the rubber cover of the release button to ensure there aren't any splits or holes in it which could allow salt and water inside. 

• Like 1

Check the rubber boot seal, give it a squeeze. If it is full of water when you close the boot the water runs into the boot mechanism.

Check the spare wheel well, any water in there?

Any other electrical gremlins, parking sensors, rear light blown bulb warning etc?

Water ingress it is! seal is wet through and a small amount of water in the boot, under the spare wheel. Apart from the usual rear washer line popping off, what else could cause this ?

• Like 1

Took a pair of scissors and made four holes opposite the breather holes that face up ? on the boot seal and then watched all the water pour out.

Thanks for the help peeps.

Hi there, im currently having the same sort of issue.

Don't suppose you have a photo of where you have made the additional holes to hand do you?

Might have to give this a try.... my poor spare wheel is swimming!

Just braved the wind and rain to have a look at mine, think it is exactly the same problem... Will drill some small holes opposite the holes in the top of the seal.

Cant quite work out what the holes in the top of the seal are for.....

Cheers

Dan

Edited by brown_d9

A common issue, the drain holes in the seal face up for some reason, not exactly good for allowing them to drain.

As above, pierce a few holes lower down the seal, on the outside obviously.

Hi there, im currently having the same sort of issue.

Don't suppose you have a photo of where you have made the additional holes to hand do you?

Might have to give this a try.... my poor spare wheel is swimming!

Just braved the wind and rain to have a look at mine, think it is exactly the same problem... Will drill some small holes opposite the holes in the top of the seal.

Cant quite work out what the holes in the top of the seal are for.....

Cheers

Dan

I just pushed the scissors through the top holes down and made sure to not nic the main seal facing against the metal

I had this problem on mine when i bought it,it went back to the dealer 4 times to fix this,in the end they replaced a control unit & its been fine now for the last 5 years ive owned the car. 

Edited by mikey vrs

Hi Chris sorry to hear these issues.. it was something I noticed but it was only random so assumed it was me and the keys (I had posted before on it)...

Otherwise hope all is well

• Like 1

Hi Chris sorry to hear these issues.. it was something I noticed but it was only random so assumed it was me and the keys (I had posted before on it)...

Otherwise hope all is well

Not to worry fella, its been a cracking car, it was just the boot seal getting saturated and no where for the water to go but into the boot/lock, now sorted with drainage holes.

The lacquer peel on the spoiler has spread like wildfire but thats very common on these, getting a quote for a respray this afternoon.

Hows that new lovely S3 :heart:  :heart: treating you????

Edited by VRSerious
  • Like 1

Audi is going fine... got use to it now, the only problem I have had was an annoying rattling noise at about 50mph from top of drivers door.. seemed once I had cleaned the door seal the noise has gone??

Still miss some of the Octy features like a usable arm rest on the door that I could relax my elbow on when driving. the S3 one is pointless

https://1drv.ms/1m53kIP