Power steering fluid?

Xeon5

Hi all,

My power steering lately feels a bit heavy but isnt making any noises. Does the vRS/GTi have power steering fluid? If so where is it located as i cant see it. There is something on the lower right of the engine bay with a green cap but not sure what that is.

Tyres are fine as i checked the pressures so cant think what else it could be

Yes it has power steering fluid. I assume you mean the green cap on the left side of the engine bay? (Left and right are always safer to quote as if you are sitting in the car)  ;)

It's a bit tricky to get to and the official method of refilling and bleeding requires you to remove the battery and run the car with jumper leads.

There have been steering rack and track rod issues on Fabias and members had replacements under warranty,

there is a TPI on them,

best check with VW about your Polo to see.

Has the  Heavy Steering issue showed up since the New Oil Spray Jets were fitted, and your ECU was updated.?

The Steering Assistance might by chance be on a different setting from when you got the car.

(Less assistance.)

Also did you have the DSG Service Campaign carried out already (Recently) and the Software Update for that?

Edited by GoneOffskiroottoot
  • Like 2

Yes it has power steering fluid. I assume you mean the green cap on the left side of the engine bay? (Left and right are always safer to quote as if you are sitting in the car)  ;).

If you use 'port' and 'starboard' instead of 'left' and 'right' it doesn't matter where you sit! ;)

• Like 1

There have been steering rack and track rod issues on Fabias and members had replacements under warranty,

there is a TPI on them,

best check with VW about your Polo to see.

Has the Heavy Steering issue showed up since the New Oil Spray Jets were fitted, and your ECU was updated.?

The Steering Assistance might by chance be on a different setting from when you got the car.

(Less assistance.)

Also did you have the DSG Service Campaign carried out already (Recently) and the Software Update for that?

If it gets worse i will have to take it too them. I did notice before the change but not as much as now, just feels like the steering is "skippy".

I havent had the DSG thing and there is no paper work.

How do you change the power assistance settings? Is it worth just changing the fluid as the car is 4 years old now

I doubt the Fluid needs changed, but you best check the level, and find out what is up.

You change steering Assist, Brake Assist, XDS Setting in the same way as other setting, with VCDS.

*THE WORKSHOP THAT DID YOUR NEW 'OIL SPRAY JETS', WERE TO DO A SOFTWARE UPDATE USING THEIR SYSTEM, MAYBE SOMETHING WENT WRONG THEN.*

Have you checked if your car is one that might be needing the DSG SErvice Campaign Work.

Use the VW VIN Checker, or ask a Dealershop/ Customer Services.

When in being done free to you, they can check your steering.

Not working, Call VW UK. About DSG Service Campaign (Recall Action)

http://volkswagen.co.uk/about-us/issues/recall-service

This might just be Emissions Fix REcall Actions and the DSG, Fuses etc VIN Checker has gone.

Edited by GoneOffskiroottoot

Ill check. The trouble is it is a pain to get to and the cap is impossible to undo.

I just went out and turned the wheel from side to side and notice an eletric type pump/mechanical noise, is this normal? You cant hear it from the cabin

Sorry but hopefully someone else can help.

You drive the car, you own it, you should know what it sounded like last year, last month etc, 

did it make the noise.

Turning the steering while sitting stationary is not a good idea.

Other than getting the Oil Issue fixed have you had anything else done, 

are these the same tyres, and what is the Correct Pressure you checked and they are at.

Sorry but hopefully someone else can help.

You drive the car, you own it, you should know what it sounded like last year, last month etc,

did it make the noise.

Turning the steering while sitting stationary is not a good idea.

Other than getting the Oil Issue fixed have you had anything else done,

are these the same tyres, and what is the Correct Pressure you checked and they are at.

Pressures are fine, same two tyres since owning it. Only a service has been done.

I will monitor it and see if it gets any worse as it could just be the road conditions.

Maybe it just needs a good fluid change

Are you going to check on the DSG Service Campaign,

it is a perfect chance to get your steering checked, maybe even change the Fluid, but it really should not need it.

4 years is nothing.

Who did your Oil Spray Jets replacement (Squirters), a VW Main Dealer.. & did they do a Software Update?

Any Oil used since or is all well?

Are you going to check on the DSG Service Campaign,

it is a perfect chance to get your steering checked, maybe even change the Fluid, but it really should not need it.

4 years is nothing.

Who did your Oil Spray Jets replacement (Squirters), a VW Main Dealer.. & did they do a Software Update?

Any Oil used since or is all well?

I will tomorrow or next week when I get the time. 

A VW Dealer did the replacement and they did do an update. So far so good, did just around 1000 miles with no drop but had a service since so just starting to monitor it again.

For the service I had some Forte oil additive just to flush through the system and some Castrol 5w30 Titanium Edge so hopefully the usage will be more balanced and not drink it like this guy:

giphy.gif

• Like 1