2.0 Cr Scout (2011) diesel Jump Starts

Hi,

Not sure on a couple of things which hopefully with your wealth of experience will be able to help with!

(A) Can you jump start a diesel? Most markerting material says you can, and

(B) what is the best lithium Ion jump starter for an Oct Scout 2.0 mkii. Batterry currently is skoda standard 540A.

In relation to (A) i think the answer is yes? Except that I am paranoid about damaging the ecu.

In relation to (B) i am looking at the Sealey lstart405, but I have no experience of that starter.

Cheers in Advance.

Regards,

C.

As Techie says why? If the battery is knackered replace it and you shouldn't have any starting issues. The old battery can be kept and used with jump leads if needed.

The old battery can be kept and used with jump leads if needed.

That's what I do. Keep it trickle charged just in case.

I also use a 4 watt solar charger in the car, connected via the lighter socket. Was mainly the plan when the car wasn't getting much use though. Just may as well keep using it now.

First question that comes to mind is why?

Because you are stuck some place without access to a jump starter, jump leads and a car with willing driver or a shop selling new batteries. 

It is 1am, no bus, no taxi you would like to get home also you do not want to abandon your car.

Same reasons people have always bump started vehicles since the demise of the starting handle.

As for how practical or advisable bump starting a modern diesel is I do not know - only have experience of bump starting much older petrol engines (nothing newer than 70s)

Edited by Octy0GG

Because you are stuck some place without access to a jump starter, jump leads and a car with willing driver or a shop selling new batteries. 

It is 1am, no bus, no taxi you would like to get home also you do not want to abandon your car.

Same reasons people have always bump started vehicles since the demise of the starting handle.

As for how practical or advisable bump starting a modern diesel is I do not know - only have experience of bump starting much older petrol engines (nothing newer than 70s)

Apologies, I was thinking bump start but of course question was about jump start.

The 'why' however is similar You are stuck some place without access to a jump starter, a battery charger or a new battery, your car does not have a starting handle but in this case you do have jump leads and a car with driver willing to give you a jump start.

Over cautious, me, but I always carry a set of jump leads in the car too. :clap: .

My mate is in a similar situation, wanting to buy a starter-charger, but knowing what he is like, I reminded him that a starter-charger is only any good if you remember to take it with you in the vehicle.

Even with a charger, he is not the type of bloke that would think about using it until the day the car didn't start. Too late.

He has sensibly purchased a solar charger which can be left in the car where this can remind him to plug it in.

Someone advised him that when pulling up for a few minutes, leave the engine running and lock the car with the spare key (in door lock).

This may be illegal so it wasn't me :angel: but it saves flattening your battery. Use common sense in this situation.

Edited by Tilt

provided its charged for said emergencies

Lol.

My case in point.

Do they charge from 12v (ie can you charge starter chargers from lighter socket in car whilst on a good run) or do they need charging from 240v?

If charged 'in car' then probably a nice thing to have, so long as you do enough travelling and remember to top it up now and again.

I may even look at that myself then. I will have to see what you can run off of it too, then, to see if it is worth it for myself. If I can charge my power tool batteries occasionally, it may be worth the investment.