PID being a POS

Hyphons

As per title my PID is basically ****ed, it takes a good 5 - 10 minutes to start up, sometimes doesn't hold charge and tonight on the way home it just kept on restarting over and over again, I eventually got it back on by unplugging it from the car to which it warned me my battery was low and just wouldn't function at all despite plugging it back into the car and seeing it was visibly charging, it hadn't froze as when pressing the buttons you could see it was highlighting them, but doing nothing at all, this is beginning to really **** me off because I use the PID to listen to my music, anyone else had similar problems? 

Does a factory reset (if possible) help? No probs with the one in my OH's Up.

Nope

battery failing,

Yes, I too suspect this, pain in the flipping arse as it's barely a year old, going to dissect it some point this week to see which battery it takes to get a replacement 

As far as I'm concerned the PID is a pile of carp! Car is coming up to three years old and I'm now on the third PID (second Garmin version) which has now started to play up. Be glad to see the back of it when the Citigo goes next month. Looking forward to a Yeti and a TomTom stuck on the windscreen. 

• Administrators

Mine had a paddy, doing the constant restart and not reading from car...dealer told me there was an informal recall on some, or certainly a fix that needed the car for 30mins, all FOC. Of course that was a year ago and since then the PID has behaved sort of ok.

It never had anything done to it other than a overly strong emotive turning on and off session while I sat in traffic lost. So now it tries to go to standby in 4 seconds, because... so I cancel that and turn off in 3... they seem small numbers for anyone less than adept with fingers. It's also a bit picky with BT connectivity. I have an NFC chip on the dash I've programmed to turn everything on... force connect, without it, it just does not work. Or more specifically, if I forget to, doing it manually seems to fail more than work ;).

I like to think each PID has it's own personality.

• Like 2

Mine had a paddy, doing the constant restart and not reading from car...dealer told me there was an informal recall on some, or certainly a fix that needed the car for 30mins, all FOC. Of course that was a year ago and since then the PID has behaved sort of ok.

It never had anything done to it other than a overly strong emotive turning on and off session while I sat in traffic lost. So now it tries to go to standby in 4 seconds, because... so I cancel that and turn off in 3... they seem small numbers for anyone less than adept with fingers. It's also a bit picky with BT connectivity. I have an NFC chip on the dash I've programmed to turn everything on... force connect, without it, it just does not work. Or more specifically, if I forget to, doing it manually seems to fail more than work ;).

I like to think each PID has it's own personality.

I'll try changing the battery first, failing that I'll have a word with my dealer when my part I ordered finally arrives, although the car isn't in warranty any more, hopefully the unit itself is

sounds like the battery has failed. if you can get in generally there are alsorts available on ebay. ive changed tomtom batteries (which behaved as you described) successfully before.

if its been in the car on minus temp nights it can damage a battery.

• Like 1

Sorry, Hyphons. At least it eliminates one line of enquiry.

Just a minor rant - the touchscreen "buttons" along the bottom are so awkward, even for those with slim fingertips.  (Navigon unit - is the Garmin the same?)

I'll try changing the battery first, failing that I'll have a word with my dealer when my part I ordered finally arrives, although the car isn't in warranty any more, hopefully the unit itself is

I believe the PID only has a 1 year warranty

I believe the PID only has a 1 year warranty

Have had no trouble changing mine under warranty, first time at 11 months and second time at 21 months. Don't know if it makes a difference but I bought the Elegance model where the PID was included in the price. Dealer reckons problems are not unusual.

As far as I'm concerned the PID is a pile of carp! Car is coming up to three years old and I'm now on the third PID (second Garmin version) which has now started to play up. Be glad to see the back of it when the Citigo goes next month. Looking forward to a Yeti and a TomTom stuck on the windscreen.

Not on the windscreen. Have a look at Brodit mounts. Not that cheap,but excellent and much better than windscreen mounts. I've been using them for about 12 years with Tom Tom devices and various cars and they are brilliant. DSL Developments are UK agents.

Not on the windscreen. Have a look at Brodit mounts. Not that cheap,but excellent and much better than windscreen mounts. I've been using them for about 12 years with Tom Tom devices and various cars and they are brilliant. DSL Developments are UK agents.

Yeah have always used Brodit mounts for the phone (been a little disappointed with the one for the Citigo though getting dislodged too easily) but prefer to have sat nav above the dashboard rather than having to completely take eyes off road to use.

Edit: Hmmn, just seen the one for the Yeti. It's above dash level but not sure I like the positioning, rather than being central (ideal) it clips to the right hand windscreen pillar, think it may cause a blind spot, have to wait till the Yeti arrives & consider the options.

Edited by deejay1001