Faulty steering wheel controls for Maxi dot

• 2 months later...

Just an update, if someone is still following this tread 🙂

I have now replaced the right optocoupler, the operation seems to have worked. I can now scroll without any delays or periodic function.

At the end it more and less stopped working, so I managed to find the optocoupler at something called RS Components 👍

It needs soldering, so make sure to have a good soldering iron.

I will update you all, if it stops working again! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
On 21/05/2023 at 10:22, Kgn said:

Just an update, if someone is still following this tread 🙂

I have now replaced the right optocoupler, the operation seems to have worked. I can now scroll without any delays or periodic function.

At the end it more and less stopped working, so I managed to find the optocoupler at something called RS Components 👍

It needs soldering, so make sure to have a good soldering iron.

I will update you all, if it stops working again! 

Hi, do you have the part number of the optocoupler from RS Components, please? I'd like to order the right one before I take it all apart. 

Hi hmcn,

Changing the optocoupler didn't do the trick - sorry! It only worked for a month or so!

I found a steering wheel with defective leather and replaced the two pcb's - it has been  working like a charm for almost 3 month.

Something else is wrong with one of the pcb's (another component), I just hadn't had the time to investigate. 

So my advise is to find a steering wheel or new pcb's and replace it.

I hope you find a good and not too expensive solution.

Thanks for the update Kgn!

It's a frustrating issue that only started to occur when the warranty ran out. I had found that disconnecting the battery for a while resets it for a couple of days and then it comes back. I see Aliexpress have a few of these switches available at a reasonable price. They don't seem identical to mine though. Theirs have Speech above the phone button on the RHS, whereas mine has Lane Assist. Neither are actually activated in my VRS though.

Edited by hmcn
typo

I agree hmcn,

Mine did the same, worked for a month or so. Like a buffer is filled up and then it becomes very slow and at the end stops working. 

The wheel I purchased did have some other keys, so I reused my own keys like Lane Assist - no problem with that.

• 1 month later...

I had the same problem too!

Dealer quoted me to supply and fit $900 Australian dollars.

Sort answers from this forum and did as suggested by Kgn (June '22) by cleaning the octocopular.....and it seems to have done the job for me!! Wooo Hooo.