Bonelorry's MK6 Golf R

bonelorry

Any plans for a fresh set of plates? Those 'JCT600' ones would annoy me as I don't like the extra bottom lip they have, nor the free advertising they give :)

• Like 1

Any plans for a fresh set of plates? Those 'JCT600' ones would annoy me as I don't like the extra bottom lip they have, nor the free advertising they give :)

In the past I would usually buy some new plates for a car but I quite like the look of the JCT600 Dealer plates to be honest, I have also left the dealer sticker in the rear window.

I do appreciate what you are saying though :)

Edited by bonelorry
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2/4/16

Well as you would expect all is still well with the Golf, I cannot fault the car in anyway and it really is a pleasure to own. I think the last week is the first time I have actually been able to just drive the car without actually having anything to do on it. My OCD list has decreased and I have ticked off all the jobs I wanted to do on the car so now just to enjoy it I suppose.

However, As you guys know I rarely keep a car long term and so over the last 3-4 Weeks I have been in talks with a fellow owners club member and VW enthusiast regarding himself buying a MK6 Golf R.

He has been looking for quite a while now and has been sending me links to various MK6 Golf R's currently for sale and has been to view one but walked away. Primarily he is looking for an example just like mine with a good spec but most importantly in as mint condition as he can find, He just cant find one anywhere! Every car he has viewed has been very average and near the £20K mark or higher! Some have Cloth interior and 3 Doors, Some have Leather but are 5 Doors, Some are 3 Door and the right spec but the wrong Colour or wrong gearbox etc.

To cut a long story short 2 Weeks ago I received some fantastic news, I have for a very long time wanted to become a Train Driver and as I am currently a Train Guard I spotted a Vacancy in December so decided to go for it. After a 3 Month process of Interviews, Assessments and a Medical I was successful and received a job offer to start on April 4th. This is my dream job and I am over the moon, However currently my Car is parked in a Secure staff Car Park at Sheffield with nice big spaces and I more than happy to park my car there. With the new job I will now be commuting elsewhere and leaving the Golf in a Public Car Park at a different Railway Station everyday for 19 weeks while I am training in Leeds which I am not too happy about to be honest so considered my options.

I have used this particular Car Park in the past when I had my Fabia VRS back in 2014 and never had a problem with regards to any damage etc, Always got there about 30 mins before I needed to so I could have the nice big corner space. However I just do not feel comfortable leaving the Golf there. I am sure it would be fine but I would be a little paranoid.

I could garage the Golf and buy a second cheaper car to commute in OR Just use the Golf at Weekends and buy a second car. My other half has offered me her Fiesta to use but she would have to use my Golf for her commute and nobody drives my cars but me.....Not a chance LOL.

Anyway after thinking about it all for a few days I decided offered the fellow enthusiast my 6R, I had no intention of selling it or advertising it but thought it would solve my problem and also help out the fellow member.

No money has changed hands or anything but he called to view my car last Sunday and I think it is safe to say he was more than happy with it. He is putting his Scirocco R line TDI on the market in a week or so and if it sells he said he will be buying my 6R.

So we shall see what happens over the next Month or so, If he does want the Golf then I will probably buy a Fabia VRS or something similar to commute in. Then towards the end of this Year once I am based back at my home depot in Sheffield and go back onto shifts I will possibly look into buying another MK6 Golf R then.

Cheers Simon

Edited by bonelorry

Hi Simon

May have my Fabia up for sale soon !!!

Darren

I would be after a standard or maybe stage 1 Fabia VRS if the Golf sells, You are having a some trouble with your Fabia aren't you and I see its quite modified?

Yes it is highly tuned but will be running perfectly having just had turbo rebuilt, new race injectors, head skimmed and new bolts plus other bits etc - but understand you wanting something less modified at this time.

Yes it is highly tuned but will be running perfectly having just had turbo rebuilt, new race injectors, head skimmed and new bolts plus other bits etc - but understand you wanting something less modified at this time.

Fingers crossed you get it all sorted mate, Yes I would be after something literally to keep me mobile and would not want the hassle of anything heavily modified. Once I am based back at Sheffield it would be getting sold on anyway.

Cheers

Jesus Christ, I wasn't even close at a couple of months :o

Might be worthwhile just weekly renting cars in future Simon.

Still... suppose it keeps the DVLA busy

Jesus Christ, I wasn't even close at a couple of months :o

Might be worthwhile just weekly renting cars in future Simon.

Still... suppose it keeps the DVLA busy

Its not sold and is not for sale yet, If that chap doesn't sell his Scirocco and for the money he wants for it then he wont be buying mine. If that happens then I am not sure what I will be doing with the Golf, I will decide at the time.

I wont be loosing out financially either :)

I wont be loosing out financially either :)

I need some lessons off you Simon...

I always end up losing money!

Hope you manage to sort out a solution one way or another, as it's truly a stunning car.

Good luck 

I need some lessons off you Simon...

I always end up losing money!

Hope you manage to sort out a solution one way or another, as it's truly a stunning car.

Good luck 

Well I have sold quite a few cars to fellow forum members on various clubs over the Years without actually advertising the cars, One chap actually bought 2 cars off me and tried talking me into setting my own Detailing business up but I do it as a hobby and nothing more.

I never plan to buy anything and make a profit on it but as long as I get back what the car owes me I am happy and I get the enjoyment out of owning the car and doing the work on it and seeing the improvements along the way.

Its not that I need to sell the Golf, I could keep it and buy a second car but while I have a buyer lined up that is a genuine guy and enthusiast and is willing to give me my asking price no quibble I am more than happy to let it go.

As said if he cannot sell his Scirocco I will assess the situation then, I might keep the Golf as it wants for nothing. I might decide to advertise it though depending on how I feel.

Cheers

• Like 2

Absolutely stunning car. Possibly cleaner that it was when it first came out of the factory!

Why is it that there's so few Golf MK6 R's around? Plenty of MK5 R32's and the new MK7 R?

Absolutely stunning car. Possibly cleaner that it was when it first came out of the factory!

Why is it that there's so few Golf MK6 R's around? Plenty of MK5 R32's and the new MK7 R?

Thank you!

They did not make many MK6 R's, They only sold them between 2010-2012. Quite a rare car, I have still yet to see another whilst owning this one on the road.

The MK5 R32 was built between 2005-2009, Plus they where produced in much larger numbers so plenty of them about however.

The new MK7 R I tend to see at least 3 per day, Again they are produced in large numbers and due the cheap Lease deals everyone has one. Sadly due to this the market is saturated with them, They are not really an exclusive car to own and as a result I reckon in a few Years they will depreciate quite heavily due to the numbers out there that will come up for sale at 2 and 3 Years old at the end of the Lease terms.

Sadly I do not like the styling on the MK7 so it is a car I will never buy, I appreciate how good they are but I think I would probably go down another route if I had that sort of money to spend.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Right then, The fellow enthusiast that said he was buying this has backed out. He is unable to find the time to advertise his current car due to work commitments and is unable to give a time scale.

Since no deposit was left and he cannot give me any commitment I am going to be advertising the car very soon, As expected my commute for my new job is just not suited to the Golf and I absolutely hate leaving it in a public car park 5 days a week. I am getting there an hour earlier than I need to so I can get the best space in a morning where nobody else can park next to my car.

Thanks Simon 

• Like 2

13/4/16

Well that's all folks, End of project...

Long story cut short, I have been scouting the current market over the last few weeks for a suitable car to keep me mobile on the premise that the Golf was going to be sold to a fellow enthusiast. Sadly as mentioned the sale fell through a few days ago so I was looking into making an advert and advertising the Golf.

The cars I have been looking for are not to directly replace the Golf as such but to keep me mobile while I am in training and commuting and something much less in value that I don't have to worry about too much while its left in a public car park 5 days a week but that I can still enjoy and have a bit of fun in on a daily basis. Had to be something reliable also.

Came down to 2 cars in the end, Skoda Fabia VRS TDI or a Honda Civic Type R EP3.

Neither of which are easy to find good examples of!

Having owned 2 x Fabia VRS's in the past and the fact I don't really need anything economical I was more tempted by a Civic Type R and having a bit of Naturally Aspirated Hot Hatch fun over the Summer.

Well I spotted one that had just arrived 2 days ago and ticked all the right boxes at a well known dealership in the Chester area.....

2004 Facelift Honda Civic Type R A/C model, Silver, One owner from new, FSH, 59K miles, Totally standard and in excellent condition. 

Had a chat with the dealer about the possibility of buying my Golf R and doing a deal so yesterday sent them a link to my build thread on the owners club, We discussed some figures today at lunchtime and they basically made me a fantastic offer which I have agreed to so all good.

Basically I P/X the Golf R in and get the Civic Type R and a rather decent lump sum £££££, With the offer they have made me overall I have actually broken even financially on what I paid for the Golf so happy days! Plus it saves me having to advertise the car and get the usual tyre kickers and test pilots turning up at my house.

So if all goes to plan I will be driving over on Saturday, Doing the deal and driving home in the Type R as long as it is as described.

Once I am based back at Sheffield probably toward the back end of this Year I will possibly look into buying another Golf R. We shall see.

Thanks Simon

• Like 2

Sounds like a good outcome - look forward to the project thread for the CTR now :thumbup:

Yes very happy with the deal! Will post some pics in due course of the CTR. Might not be quite as in depth as with the Golf and previous cars though as spare time is limited for the next 6 Months or so.

Nice one look forward to seeing the pictures. The type r is a completely different drive to the turbod R

Thanks, Yes I have driven many EP3 CTR's in the past and have owned 2 x Integra's so know what to expect from it.

My only reason for changing and selling the Golf is my current commute and car park situation but I still wanted something I could have a bit of fun in and not worry about too much, Another Golf R will possibly be on the cars again later this Year once I am depot based back in my own parking space in Sheffield :)

Deal done yesterday morning, The Golf is no longer in my possession. Gave me the full amount as discussed no problems. 

Had a nice drive back in the CTR, Its a nice little car and has already had about 5 Hours of detailing work from my good self. Just cant help it LOL.

Shame about the Golf as it looked an amazing car (hope you don't regret it as I have done that a few times)

Enjoy your new one though.

No regrets, I do not regret selling any of my cars. Strangley despite spending countless hours on them I tend not to get attached to them and don't think I could ever own a car for many Years. So many other cars to try and enjoy, Plus I get enjoyment out of detailing them and doing all the mechanical work etc.

Thanks

• Like 1