DRL "whiskers"

Picked up my SE-L Exec over the weekend and just had a chance to give it a good going over, you know curb appeal (it does need Super Nova rims),  sexiness, sense of smugness, etc and I was a little puzzled about the whiskers in the DLR.  Are they supposed to be illuminated in the daylight, the lights are there but there is only a tiny bead of light at the extreme forward end of each whisker.  The only way that I can be sure they are there is to shade the lights and get SWMBO to turn the ignition on and off and watch for a tiny "pea" of a light to illuminate and extinguish.  I do have "smart light assist" and all the other components of the set seem to be working OK.

I presume you mean the "whiskers" in the Smart Light Assist" Function:

7-new-skoda-superb-front_0_zpsmlljtl9l.j

or do you mean the DRL strip lights which also double up as the front indicators.

DSC_0213.jpg

Edited by Coops

I presume you mean the "whiskers" in the Smart Light Assist" Function:

7-new-skoda-superb-front_0_zpsmlljtl9l.j

or do you mean the DRL strip lights which also double up as the front indicators.

DSC_0213.jpg

The whiskers in the Smart Light Assist.

Edited by rafmike

`DRL` Daytime Running Lights.

Oops, all the right letters just not necessarily in the order!  I'm a long time student of Morcambe and Wise and Les Dawson.  What I was thinking about is the way it would be put in a RAF instruction manual Daytime Lights (Running).

Edited by rafmike
  • Like 1

The whiskers (or "eyelashes" as some of us affectionately call) come on when the dipped beams are on, if you have SLA.

Without SLA, there is a black plastic trimming. That's it. No light inside it but it can reflect bits of light from the DRL strips of the Xenon lights.

For those with SLA, the eyelashes can be coded to come on at all times with the DRLs and not need the dip beams on.

• Like 1

The whiskers (or "eyelashes" as some of us affectionately call) come on when the dipped beams are on, if you have SLA.

Without SLA, there is a black plastic trimming. That's it. No light inside it but it can reflect bits of light from the DRL strips of the Xenon lights.

For those with SLA, the eyelashes can be coded to come on at all times with the DRLs and not need the dip beams on.

Does anyone have a pic of how they look after coding?

With coding the lights will look like the parking mode setting but with the light selector switch in off or Auto. From what I understand the coding posted here: http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/380829-superb-mkiii-vcds-adaptations-tried-and-tested/#entry4460925 effectively enables parking lights setting for DRL.

If you want eyelashes on in daylight without the coding just pop the light selector into the parking mode setting (between Auto and Dipped).

The only issue with the lights set in this mode is they remain lit when the ignition is switched off. If you forget to switch them off they don't switch off automatically like Auto or Dipped so there's risk of a flat battery.

Personally I use Auto with the car settings light switch on time set to early so darker daylight full lights are on (including eyelashes) and light daytime only DRLs (without eyelashes) beacuse I know full well I will forget one day to switch off parking lights.

Edited by l4wrence

You would think the extra DRL elements would illuminate with the regular DRL bars at the bottom of the lights. I want that extra hundred quid put to good work! 

Adding this to the list of VCDS tweaks.........

I've seen them on without the headlights in some pictures taken at auto shows but looking again, it looks like a parking light is on as only one is lit.

Just been out in the dark and had a look at the parking setting, it's a work of art, the whiskers are a huge brand image point. Why do WE have to mess about in order to show the car at its best? They should be lit at all times the DRLs are on. Volvo now has the Hammer of Thor as DRL and that will be as big as the brand logo in the future, Skoda should register the "whiskers" as a trade mark NOW.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

With regards to coding the DRL whiskers - is there a particular headlamp unit (part number), one must have, so we can be sure that coding it via VCDS will yield the expected result?

Reason I ask is that on close inspection of my headlamps, I can definitely c that I have light strips, instead of moulded solid black strips.

They don't illuminate, however.

I don't have "smart light assist", nor do I have "high beam assist" enabled/coded.

But I'm curious to know that if I at least have the right headlamp, unit, then that is at least one step in the right direction.

On that note, the part number off the headlamps on mine are 3V2.941.015.A (1ZS 011.939-23) and 3V2.941.016.A (1ZS 011.939-24).

I'm hoping these are the right unit for DRL whiskers.

I'm not sure if they are smart light assist (masking function) capable too.

11 hours ago, JR RS said:

On that note, the part number off the headlamps on mine are 3V2.941.015.A (1ZS 011.939-23) and 3V2.941.016.A (1ZS 011.939-24).

My MY16 light units with whiskers/eyelashes end in .015.B (left/nearside) and .016.B (right/offside).

A shot in the dark but I'm guessing A = Bi-xenon without whiskers and B = Bi-xenon with whiskers?

Thought it might differentiate RHD/LHD but you're still sensible in Aus.

Edited by BillyJim

8 hours ago, BillyJim said:

My MY16 light units with whiskers/eyelashes end in .015.B (left/nearside) and .016.B (right/offside).

A shot in the dark but I'm guessing A = Bi-xenon without whiskers and B = Bi-xenon with whiskers?

Thought it might differentiate RHD/LHD but you're still sensible in Aus.

Bugger.  That might be the deal breaker!

I'm going to have a go at coding it this weekend.

Whiskers crossed it works :-)

3 hours ago, BillyJim said:

I coded mine at 100% brightness to come on with DRL. Both the whiskers and DRL auto-dim when dipped beam lights come on.

Nice :)

did u use the following coding?

Controller 09 - Central Electronics

16 - Security Access - enter 31347

10 - Adaptations

Change (8)Leuchte17TFL R BLK ......... C17 to Daytime running lights

Change (10)Leuchte17TFL R BLK ......... CD17 to 100

Change (8)Leuchte16BLK SLB ......... C16 to Daytime running lights

Change (10)Leuchte16BLK SLB......... CD16 to 100

15 minutes ago, JR RS said:

Nice :)

did u use the following coding?

Controller 09 - Central Electronics

16 - Security Access - enter 31347

10 - Adaptations

Change (8)Leuchte17TFL R BLK ......... C17 to Daytime running lights

Change (10)Leuchte17TFL R BLK ......... CD17 to 100

Change (8)Leuchte16BLK SLB ......... C16 to Daytime running lights

Change (10)Leuchte16BLK SLB......... CD16 to 100

Yup. The (8)'s enable the strips to act as as DRL which is why they also auto-dim with the standard DRL strip. The (10)'s set the brightness as a percentage. I played around with the brightness but 100% worked best.

I also enabled the DRL on/off in the infotainment Lights menu because if you're parked up at night with normal lights off and ignition on those combined DRLs are 'kin bright.

1 hour ago, BillyJim said:

Yup. The (8)'s enable the strips to act as as DRL which is why they also auto-dim with the standard DRL strip. The (10)'s set the brightness as a percentage. I played around with the brightness but 100% worked best.

I also enabled the DRL on/off in the infotainment Lights menu because if you're parked up at night with normal lights off and ignition on those combined DRLs are 'kin bright.

thanks for confirming. much appreciated.
i'll try out the coding this weekend - hopefully it works.

with regards to the DRL brightness, is it possible to have the DRLs "dim" when the side-lights are on.

currently they only dim when the low beams r switched on.

with my MK2 Octavia RS, the DRLs would dim on sidelights, acting as parkers.

would be nice to have this again when driving in "not bright not dark yet" conditions :)

19 hours ago, JR RS said:

with regards to the DRL brightness, is it possible to have the DRLs "dim" when the side-lights are on.

would be nice to have this again when driving in "not bright not dark yet" conditions :)

Slightly confused - what you're asking for is how mine function from new and, other than enabling the whiskers and adding DRL to the infotainment Car > Settings > Lights menu, I hadn't changed any of the other lighting settings.

When switching the lights on my car they behave like this...

0 = DRLs full brightness, rear lights off.

Auto (Daylight) = DRLs full brightness & rear lights off.

Auto (Night/Tunnel/Rain): DRLs dimmed, dipped beam on & rear lights on.

Side/Park = DRLs dimmed & rear lights on. Indicator stalk position allows right/both/left light selection when ignition is off. (The DRLs are the sole front lighting)

Dipped = DRLs dimmed, dipped beam on & rear lights on.

You can change the DRLs brightness when Side/Park is selected on the lighting switch using VCDS.

The same as before (09 Controller, 16 Security 31347, 10 Adaptations) and scroll down through the channels to "Daytime running lights-Standlicht aktiviert zusaetlich Tagfahrlicht". Roughly translates as Parking Lights also activates Daytime Lights.

Set it to "not active" and the DRLs are dim (this was the default setting on mine).

Set it to "active" and the DRLs are bright.

Maybe yours is set to "active"?

FYI: The channel below, Daytime running lights-Tagfahrlicht Aktivierung durch BAP oder Bedienfolge moeglich, is the channel to have the DRL on/off option appear in the infotainment menu, when it's set to "active".

I also notice that since the latest update of VCDS the channel numbering, formerly (xx)---, has changed to something like ENG141647-ENG116593---, which is why I've only used the channel names above.

23 hours ago, JR RS said:

thanks for confirming. much appreciated.
i'll try out the coding this weekend - hopefully it works.

let me know how you go with this, AFAIK no aussie model has the whiskers in their headlights...........

4 hours ago, BillyJim said:

Slightly confused - what you're asking for is how mine function from new and, other than enabling the whiskers and adding DRL to the infotainment Car > Settings > Lights menu, I hadn't changed any of the other lighting settings.

When switching the lights on my car they behave like this...

0 = DRLs full brightness, rear lights off.

Side/Park = DRLs dimmed & rear lights on. Indicator stalk position allows right/both/left light selection when ignition is off. (The DRLs are the sole front lighting)

my DRLs don't dim when i switch to side/park lights position.  they remain at full brightness.  the only difference being my rear lights r now on too.

mine behaves as such:-

Side/Park = DRLs full brightness & rear lights on.

maybe, as u said, mine is set to "active".

2 hours ago, zei20t said:

let me know how you go with this, AFAIK no aussie model has the whiskers in their headlights...........

will keep u posted.

i don't have high hopes, but its worth a try :)

• Like 1

So I had a go this morning...

DRL Whiskers = no luck, despite coding as per the instructions.

Looks like one needs the "B" version, not "A", of the headlamp units to have whiskers.

Bugger bugger bugger.  Oh well.

While I was at it:-

- I changed the DRL to dim with side/park lights.

- I enabled rear lights with DRLs.  Also turns on number plate lights, and instrument lights.

- changed CH/LH to use fog lights instead of low beams

I tried to enable the high beam assist, but I couldn't find the menu light assistant :-(

Edited by JR RS
  • Sad 1