Fitting a Mk1 VRS steering wheel to my Fabia Mk1 - HELP

entapryz

Hello there peeps!

just needed some help with the airbag part of the fitting.

I have fitted the wheel but on the airbag there are two wires with spade type connectors.

I can only see one place to connect it and also i assume that this is for the horn?

Can anyone shed some more light?

Any help appreciated.

thanks

Pedro

Edited by entapryz

OK, so i connected up the one spade connector (brown wire), the yellow connector connected to the middle fitting above the centre nut, i then "connected" the other spade connector (U shape) to the square hole adjacent to the centre nut.

Airbag clicked into place.

Now the horn is working, but the airbag light isnt going off?

Any ideas or suggestions?

thanks in advance.

Pedro

Do you have VCDS? It's probably as simple as just resetting the airbag light.

I know if you disconnect the airbag on/off indicator light on other VAG cars you need VCDS to clear the error that appears on the dashboard.

Edited by wja96

Thanks for the replies.

Whilst waiting for my son to.finish his footy practice this morning I decided to make the best use of my time.

I disconnected the battery and swapped steering wheels.

I hadn't finished (airbag connection) so I drove the car home without the airbag connected. The air bag light came on. I thought that when I did connect the airbag up the light would go.off.

I searched the interweb and was confident that I'd found where all the spade connectors should go.

I disconnected the battery once again and fitted the air bag.

Turned on the car and the light was still on

I don't have a vcds..... Maybe its time to invest in one?

Thanks

I hadn't finished (airbag connection) so I drove the car home without the airbag connected. The air bag light came on. I thought that when I did connect the airbag up the light would go.off.

Afraid this is your error.  But at least it only means the fault code needs clearing as above ^^^^.

VCDS is a worthy investment for the long haul. I can vouch for that

Edited by devonutopia

Did you leave battery connected whilst you were doing all this work? :o

I did mine with the battery still connected. More chance of winning the lottery than the air bag going off.

Thanks again guys.

Which should VCDS unit should i buy?

Where can I get one from and price range?

Does it need any special requirement ie laptop?

Am i right in assuming that it is used in conjunction with a laptop?

If so what operating systems will it work with and conversely will not work with?

thanks in anticipation of your replies.

Pedro

That looks pretty good. So it basically tells you whats wrong, and then can it fix certain things? Excuse my ignorance.

I have had a quick look for the VCDS, and unfortunately i am not able to afford anything near the cost of one of them.

Sorry, I should have mentioned that in the earlier post.

What about VAG-COM 409.1 OBD2 OBDII KKL VW/Audi/Seat/Skoda Auto Diagnostic Tool USB Cable?

I saw it on the same page as http://www.ebay.co.u...YcAAOxySoJTWOC7

Thanks again guys.

Which should VCDS unit should i buy?

Where can I get one from and price range?

Does it need any special requirement ie laptop?

Am i right in assuming that it is used in conjunction with a laptop?

If so what operating systems will it work with and conversely will not work with?

thanks in anticipation of your replies.

Pedro

http://m.gendan.co.uk/vcds-hex-usb-can.php?gclid=CjwKEAiAxfu1BRDF2cfnoPyB9jESJADF-MdJNfB7ZADNjGXx6kGDxMXF4vFNpKBq3YFU1g3v75Rb2hoCgMPw_wcB

That looks pretty good. So it basically tells you whats wrong, and then can it fix certain things? Excuse my ignorance.

I have had a quick look for the VCDS, and unfortunately i am not able to afford anything near the cost of one of them.

What about VAG-COM 409.1 OBD2 OBDII KKL VW/Audi/Seat/Skoda Auto Diagnostic Tool USB Cable?

Fake knock offs.

It's only a very basic scanner and nowhere near as good as VCDS but it's fine for basic use. It can't fix anything but it can read certain fault codes and turn off warning lights.

The U281 is great at what it does: reading fault codes, and clearing them. However, that's all it can do. If you needed to change any settings, you need VCDS of some version. The U281 is good if you've got a fault - you scan for the code, go on here and search for the code, buy the suggested parts to fix, fit them, and clear the codes.

A good example of something that you would use VCDS for is installing an optional extra from a higher spec model e.g. Heated seats, so you can enable it in the control unit of the car. Another example might be modifying comfort options like whether unlocking the car unlocks only one door or all at once.

Both VCDS and the Lite version both do lots of useful stuff. The Rosstech site lists the differences between the versions. The website also tells you what cable you need to buy.

• 5 months later...

Sorry to jump on an old thread, saves starting a new one. Can someone confirm for me where the black wire connects to? I've got the 2 yellow clips on and the brown spade but where does the black go. I found this photo but it is hidden under the foam. Cheers guys.

7647525196_02011196da_c.jpg

Sorry to jump on an old thread, saves starting a new one. Can someone confirm for me where the black wire connects to? I've got the 2 yellow clips on and the brown spade but where does the black go. I found this photo but it is hidden under the foam. Cheers guys.

7647525196_02011196da_c.jpg

Is it a U-shaped spring connector on the end of your black wire?

This video shows a guy removing that connector at about 2:48 in the video. It slots into a square hole...

Is it a U-shaped spring connector on the end of your black wire?

This video shows a guy removing that connector at about 2:48 in the video. It slots into a square hole...

Perfect! Thanks Lee.