hill hold+DSG start/stop

lans

could someone explain what is the point of having hill hold if DSG S/S requires foot on the brake to function?

isnt the driver performing manual hill hold pressing the brake on traffic lights etc...?

especially cuz hill hold is a paid option where I live.

It is to hold the car for 2 seconds while you go from brake to accelerator for those that drive automatics with one foot.

Very handy.

(some drivers only have 1 foot.)

Even helpful when some use the hand brake when stopped.

As for foot on Brake, then the highway code advises when not to sit with foot on foot brake, 

extended stops etc.

ok,so real life scenario.

traffic lights. i come to a full stop with the brake. I release the brake because I have hill hold,but the engine starts(start/stop rendered useless)

traffic lights. i come to a full stop with the brake. I hold the brake to use the start/stop, but then the hill hold/auto hold is rendered useless?

i heard a rumor that newer dsg's dont need constant pressure on the brake to stay off on traffic lights???

When you have to stop upwards a hill you hold the car with the brakes. Without hill start assist when you release the brakes the car begins to roll back until the engine starts again an the mechatronic unit engages the clutch.

With hill start assist the car doesn't roll back for these seconds, so we can say this is a must have feature when the car is equipped with a DSG gearbox.

DSG and Hill Hold works fine. On a hill or on the flat, brake to a halt and keep your foot on the brake. With Stop/Start engaged, when you are ready to move off, release the foot brake and gently gently gently press the throttle for a start. You do not need the handbrake at all. More advanced use is when you stop, with foot on brake, select 'Park' position. You can then put on the hand brake and take the pressure off the brake pedal, and stop dazzling the folks behind. When you are ready to go, foot on brake, move the lever to 'D/S' and take the handbrake off, press the throttle as hard as you like to start off again. 1) never move to 'Park' until the car has stopped completely and 2) you need to anticipate when to select 'D/R' because you will be a little slower to move off than the car behind you and 3) learn to love the jumpy start. At roundabouts and difficult junctions, it's best to cut out the stop/start.

i live in Macedonia.

what I am trying to say is.. If I must press the brake constantly for S/S to work, I dont see the point having auto hold(just for those 2% incline traffic lights real life situations)

I have auto hold on my manual passat. the idea behind the auto hold is that you dont have to press the brake constantly. you stop, put in neutral and forget about it,till you are ready to go.

no one heard the rumor that newer DSG's dont require brake pressure so activate S/S?

i live in Macedonia.

what I am trying to say is.. If I must press the brake constantly for S/S to work, I dont see the point having auto hold(just for those 2% incline traffic lights real life situations)

I have auto hold on my manual passat. the idea behind the auto hold is that you dont have to press the brake constantly. you stop, put in neutral and forget about it,till you are ready to go.

no one heard the rumor that newer DSG's dont require brake pressure so activate S/S?

Hill hold, with DSG is excellent. You seem to have decided to not like it, so carry on. I have a 4 month old DSG and it works as above. No idea where you heard the 'no brake pressure require' rummour.

i live in Macedonia.

Брате,

The idea of Hill Hold (different from Auto Hold in VW) is to prevent from rolling back the car on very steep hills you can burn the clutch if you start slowly without HH. Or if you towna trailer.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Hill hold is not for standing at red traffic lights, it is temporary (only one or two seconds) and is to cover the time a driver takes right foot off brake and presses accelerator. It means you don't need to use handbrake as on a hill start with a manual.

For those who learnt on an automatic and use left foot braking then you can press both pedals together so don't need it if your timing is good enough. I suspect most people use right foot braking as they learnt on a manual gearbox.

If you have traffic lights that stay red for a long time, would suggest putting gearbox in N or P and not holding car on foot brake in gear.