Remap of a 105bhp vs a 140bhp

sr100

Over the weekend, I drove a 2.0tdi 140bhp Octavia elegance, for about 150 miles after purchasing it for a relative. On the drive back from North Wales to Birmingham, I was really impressed with the power output and thought wow! I made a mistake with the 105 bhp as it doesn’t pull nothing like the 140bhp.

My question is, if I opted for the remap, which takes the 105 close to 140, will it be a similar drive as though it was a 2.0tdi.

The pick up on mid range was excellent. Doubting whether or not I made the right choice with the 105bhp. 

All depends what you get used to.

I used to have a 140bhp 2.0TDi Passat on the drive and a 333bhp Audi S5. The Passat used to feel weedy and underpowered when I drove it.

Now I have a couple of 1.2TSi's 105bhp and jumping in the 2.0TDi gives a welcome midrange kick.

Your Brain soon adapts as does your driving style.

Remaps certainly do work but again, your brain soon takes the power as the norm.

Lee

I don't know much about black smoke, plus I don't have the equipment to undertake that.

I am seriously considering a shark remap, but now that I am back in my car, I don't think it is too bad again.

I'll have to give it another couple months and see how I get on and see if I can find a member who will take me for a spin in their remapped 105bhp car. 

If you go for the shark remap on the 105 you wont think its slow after. Suprisingly spritely and also economy is increased when driven normally. Do not go for a £45 map otherwise you will have issues. The shark map has been properly tested and allows the engine to work at its best. If you want shed loads of smoke high egts and possible mot advisorys then take the 45 pound map. But its cheap for a reason

A remapped 1.9 105-->140 is not quite like having a 2.0 140. The power delivery is a bit punchier on the 1.9. Not a wholly direct comparison, but my 1.9 Elegance seems a touch quicker than my 2.0 Scout.

Shark all the way though.

I own both said cars. Although the 1.9 is a 4x4.

I had the same plan, and after seeking advice here, which was all positive, went for the Shark stage 1 from a reputable source on the 1.9, which was also on a 25% discount, the idea being to take the 1.9 to near the performance of the 2.0.

Before I go on, I have to say imo the 1.9 is a really sweet car to drive, not a lot of power but smooth and linear, and not being a petrol head road racer any more I find it a really nice car to pootle about in, apart from the drone (post coming). The 2.0 is different. Much more go, but in a big rush, and with the 17 inch wheels and sports suspension, more difficult to drive comfortably.

Anyway, the remap. I have to say I have been underwhelmed. Perhaps a little torque increase across the rev range, but that's it. No noticeable improvement in fuel consumption. Even though the 1.9 is much shorter geared, the 2.0 is much faster, so they aren't close.

I don't want to go against the zillions who have successful remaps, but mine hasn't impressed as I thought it would. It may be that you have to take care doing a remap on 10 year old cars??

As you say, it may well be worth your while to drive one that someone has had done and is happy with.

• Like 1

Probably down to the Haldex though.  

Possibly, and the 4x4 is heaver because of the extra gubbbins.......however, and this was more noticeable with the MKIII, before the introduction of the hot vRS, the Scout was quicker than the vRS, mainly because it can lay all the power down more effectively, through the 4x4 system, so no fussy traction control pulling all the power back.

Still deciding on what to do. It has been 1 month with the car now and to be honest, I don't really drive it very fast. I usually stick to 60mph on the motorway and locally, I'm not looking to break the land speed record. 

I think I may leave it as it is for now and see how it goes. 

Thanks for the replies. 

I have a 1.6TDI DSG and has been thinking about a remap (or, better, a TDI tuning box) for a long time but... I've read about the torque limits the DSG7 has and I'm scared about the possibility of ruining it.

Remapped 1.6tdi will be much better in certain conditions but will not be equal to the 2.0tdi with the same hp.

From what I know it's more effective, or more noticeable on the DSG7 than manual 5speed.

To compare I tested out on fifth gear from 110-180km/h and takes off 10 seconds.

Noticeable power at lower rpm and mid range rpm due to the higher torque.

On bench mine reached 114hp and 275nm torque.

Friends did 93hp and 235nm. All for fuel economy

Edited by alberg