Main Dealer Service

Much as I hate paying them, as I do all my own servicing to keep cost of running my Taxi as low as possible, I had 50,000 mile service done today to keep full main dealer history Incase I decide to move it on because of DSG problems in the future.

£140 for basically oil and filter Change and stamp in book, l can live with that.

However following advisors:

Suggest tracking check £50, but my tyres are evenly worn!

Front bump stop bush cracked £182 to replace

Air Con service £70

Spark plugs due, though done only 14,000 miles ago £116!

Power Control upgrade for improved performance and economy? (DSG program I asume) £50

Key fob battery £20

And biggest one is slightly leaking front shocks at £523 to replace both.

I think it all totals well over £1,000 of work that doesn't rearly need to be done.

Edited by bryan350lc

The majority of those items you can do yourself or have done elsewhere. If they are not on the service schedule at that time it's your choice but for comparisons:

Tracking around £30-40 at your local tyre fitter

Front bump stop about an hours labour and £20 part

Air Con service £45 at KwikFit or Halfords

Spark Plugs £50 for quality ones and if you don't have the tools then you can buy a tool kit fro much less than additional £66 they would charge.

Power Control upgrade for improved performance and economy. Not sure what this but intrigued.

Key Fob battery. £1 off ebay and bit of your time. 

I normally do, I've got 10,000 miles to decide if I'm going to keep it, if not it's got Full Main Dealer history.

The plug change annoyed me the most, as it's recorded in service book they were changed with air filter at 34,000 miles, and a customer who wasn't aware of that could have paid out near £120 for un needed spark plugs!

I got a free car wash though!

Engine oil was about £40 for 3.6 Ltrs, I can get a 20 Ltr drum for that.

Now I know not everyone can or wants to do their own servicing and are happy to pay for it to be done, but I've always bought any special tools I need to do it myself, a good trolley Jack, axel stands and reasonable set of tools is all you need.

There was a break fluid change for £45 which is due, thought that wasn't a bad price for it TBH!

Edited by bryan350lc

My octy estate has what looks like fluid leaking from the front shocks. Not a lot mind just enough to make the dirt look darker. Asked my dealer who looked at mine and compared it to skodas technical Bulletin and said it was normal. Even showed me the computer screen with the information. So I would maybe ask for an second opinion on those

Much as I hate paying them, as I do all my own servicing to keep cost of running my Taxi as low as possible, I had 50,000 mile service done today to keep full main dealer history Incase I decide to move it on because of DSG problems in the future.

£140 for basically oil and filter Change and stamp in book, l can live with that.

*Just ignore that or get a full geo check on a Hunter Rig for £70

Air Con service £70

*If it works, leave it

*This is part of major service (check book) and is included, well in the petrol anyway

Power Control upgrade for improved performance and economy? (DSG program I asume) £50

*Software upgrades are included in each service, check your book

Key fob battery £20

*Does it work? If not, £1 CR2035 or CR0232 battery(s)

*Fast fit? Local indy?

I think it all totals well over £1,000 of work that doesn't rearly need to be done.

Edited by m0bov

I had mine serviced before Christmas at DM Keith's Leeds and wasn't impressed either. When I had phoned to book it in for service it was still in warranty when asked if there was any problems that needed looking at I informed them the oil temp reading on the maxi dot doesn't show. Dropped the car off and during the day received a few phone call to tell me that brake discs needed replacing as they were badly worn at less than 30k miles. I informed them that they weren't as I had inspected them previous week when I had fitted my winter wheels. Got another call back telling me the front discs were warped. Again had tell them they weren't but did have bit of build up on them. Another call to let me know the oil temp sensor wasn't working and needed replacing at £195. Informed them that it had failed whilst in warranty but they couldn't get me in until 2 days after it expired. No, I would have to pay for it. Told them to forget it and I'll sort it myself.

When I picked the car up I let them know I wasn't happy about the sensor situation and that it I suspect it just needed turning back on but they insisted it was faulty. Got home in a bad mood and decided to check the work they had done and found oil had been spilt when refilling and left so was now all over the top of the engine underneath the cover. Cleaned that up and checked the air filter to see oily hand prints all over the paper and one of the airbox screws hadn't been put back in. Very shoddy work that I've paid a premium for.

I fitted my own tow bar last month and had Thedealsealer from this forum do the VCDS coding. Whilst he was changing various settings asked him to look at the oil temp sensor which he switched back on and all working again which the garage wanted to replace for £195.

I think I will be going back to servicing my cars myself to ensure the job is done right as wouldn't expect this kind of poor service from a shoddy back street garage never mind a main dealer. Unfortunately I bought a service package so will have to try another branch before going back to the Leeds one. 

My octy estate has what looks like fluid leaking from the front shocks. Not a lot mind just enough to make the dirt look darker. Asked my dealer who looked at mine and compared it to skodas technical Bulletin and said it was normal. Even showed me the computer screen with the information. So I would maybe ask for an second opinion on those

Yes. If it's leaking you're loosing dampening from the oil. This will have a knock effect with other suspension components and tyre wear. Try an MOT station for unbiased opinion.

I had mine serviced before Christmas at DM Keith's Leeds and wasn't impressed either. When I had phoned to book it in for service it was still in warranty when asked if there was any problems that needed looking at I informed them the oil temp reading on the maxi dot doesn't show. Dropped the car off and during the day received a few phone call to tell me that brake discs needed replacing as they were badly worn at less than 30k miles. I informed them that they weren't as I had inspected them previous week when I had fitted my winter wheels. Got another call back telling me the front discs were warped. Again had tell them they weren't but did have bit of build up on them. Another call to let me know the oil temp sensor wasn't working and needed replacing at £195. Informed them that it had failed whilst in warranty but they couldn't get me in until 2 days after it expired. No, I would have to pay for it. Told them to forget it and I'll sort it myself.

When I picked the car up I let them know I wasn't happy about the sensor situation and that it I suspect it just needed turning back on but they insisted it was faulty. Got home in a bad mood and decided to check the work they had done and found oil had been spilt when refilling and left so was now all over the top of the engine underneath the cover. Cleaned that up and checked the air filter to see oily hand prints all over the paper and one of the airbox screws hadn't been put back in. Very shoddy work that I've paid a premium for.

I fitted my own tow bar last month and had Thedealsealer from this forum do the VCDS coding. Whilst he was changing various settings asked him to look at the oil temp sensor which he switched back on and all working again which the garage wanted to replace for £195.

I think I will be going back to servicing my cars myself to ensure the job is done right as wouldn't expect this kind of poor service from a shoddy back street garage never mind a main dealer. Unfortunately I bought a service package so will have to try another branch before going back to the Leeds one. 

That's pretty shocking, I hope you pushed for a refund on the work not done/done badly.

Edited by m0bov

Just checked my history on the Superb, it didn't need front shocks till 210,000 miles. I'll see the tester of Hackney Carrages at appointed tearing station and see what he says as was OK in October when I put car on as a Taxi.

I won't be doing them if he says it normal too.

That's pretty shocking, I hope you pushed for a refund on the work not done/done badly.

Not even interested in giving me a refund hence why I offer my experience of dealers with bad workmanship so offers don't have to suffer the same.

Another call to let me know the oil temp sensor wasn't working and needed replacing at £195. Informed them that it had failed whilst in warranty but they couldn't get me in until 2 days after it expired. No, I would have to pay for it.

Poor call by the dealer here. The fault was diagnosed whilst in warranty. Just because they couldn't book you in before the warranty expired is irrelevant, the part should still have been replaced under warranty.

Even though their diagnosis was incorrect I'd still be awkward and prove them wrong.

DM Keith are bad, I vowed never to visit DM Keith in York a few years ago after their abysmal service.

Air Con service £70

Key fob battery £20

Ignore them all.

It is how the dealer generates additional income.

Most people will see through their deception, others won't. It only takes one or two people to fall for it and their Christmas party is paid for.

• Like 1

I bought 5 litres of oil, an air filter and oil filter for my car from Euro Car Parts and my local garage changed the lot for £20 today ... whilst up on the ramp he checked the brakes and stuff for leaks under the car and the wheel bearings ... no problems found with anything and I was in and out in about 45 minutes

When you take your car to a dealership it usually consists of someone trying to fix it as fast as possible because they have time and motion targets to reach .Then the technician reports as much work as he can so he can reach his sold hour's efficiency target's. You are just ripe for the pants down treatment when you visit the stealers. ..I mean dealer's.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Edited by FLAPPERJACK7