Red oil light

Mcinvrs

Today after a bit spirited driving across the north york moors i hit the motorway and after about 5 miles the red oil light flashed a couple of times then went off. I dropped the speed to about 40 until i could get into the services to check the levels. Everything was fine on the dipstick and drove fine so i carefully drove back home.

Is this related to oil pressure and is the car okay to drive?

About 20 miles prior to this i had the engine management light come on (same journey) but when i scanned it was a code for the thermostat (which i knew was faulty anyways)

Any advice would be massively appreciated as i dont fancy driving if the red oil light means the engine is being starved of oil!

Ive only owned it for about 5 months. Only had 2 stamps in the book but i had a service done as soon as i bought it.

Having 2 stamps in the book doesn't mean a lot if you don't tell us how old it is and what the mileage is.

If the car has been neglected there is a high chance their is sludge in the sump that is restricting the oil flow as already mentioned 

Having 2 stamps in the book doesn't mean a lot if you don't tell us how old it is and what the mileage is.

If the car has been neglected there is a high chance their is sludge in the sump that is restricting the oil flow as already mentioned

Aye its on 87k 05 plate. Doubt its had the most thorough servicing to be quite honest. Booked in at garage next wednesday to have cambelt and waterpump so ill have it checked then and keep you all posted. Cheers for the replies.. much appreciated

Check you haven't got a loose wire/connection to the oil pressure switch. I had a loose wire on an old car and every time it earthed, the oil light came on! A faulty pressure switch too perhaps? Just a few things worth looking at as i've often looked past the most simple things which have proved the problem!!!

+1 with Liverpool-Lad, with how common this problem is becoming on older vrs's  I would plump for blocked pickup too. if you find a lot of sludge build up in the sump, you might want to consider a new pcv valve as well, as the fumes flow through this too,