Procedure for goodwill - garage or me calling Skoda UK?

OK, I'm bringing this post back from the dead one final time - mainly as I've just finished my final chat with Skoda on the issue and thought I'd report back with information some might be interested in.

So, first and foremost, the procedure for Skoda Goodwill has now changed. Due to EU law changes Skoda are no longer allowed to offer "Goodwill". They have to treat all customers the same if they have had the car serviced through Skoda or not, etc. Skoda have empowered their dealer network to deal with all these issues. Skoda themselves no longer get involved, it is entirely done by the dealership. They do employ "points" based similar to how goodwill used to work - so you are more likely to get something if you show a full Skoda service history for example.

There are no hard and fast rules on how much of a contribution you are going to get and the dealership are totally in control of decisions.

As my thread above notes, I received an initial offer of £85 towards my £720 bill which was increased to £150 as a final offer - that was the whole reason I contacted Skoda in the first place as I was looking for 40 - 50% contribution.

After many calls and Skoda attempting to speak with the dealership on my behalf, the dealership have decided they will not budge from that offer a couple of months ago.

Skoda themselves have been rather good to be fair. They promised they would be speaking to my local dealership as they had told me conflicting information in the beginning and then lied to me. They have also tried to negotiate with the dealership, however that proved to be a waste of time.

The Skoda CS woman has said there is unfortunately nothing else she can do, however she has sent me over an email now confirming that me and my wife can go out for a meal up to the value of £100 which will be refunded by Skoda once I send them receipts - obviously not as goodwill, but rather an apology for all the messing about.

However, just as a warning. If you need Skoda Goodwill from now on you are dealing with the dealership and no longer dealing with Skoda direct. So if they try and fob you off with "Skoda won't allow this....." then tell them it is their decision, not Skoda's.

Goodwill claims must go through an authorised dealer.

First the dealer service manager decides if the customer has a viable claim (or whether they can fob the customer off), then there is a procedure involved, the dealer must do certain checks and tests dependent on the claim, e.g. carry out a full diagnostic in case of an engine problem. The customer will be asked to cover the cost of the initial investigative work, payable in the case the claim is declined by Skoda Uk. This successfully puts off many claimants. Some claims, e.g. involving an engine stripdown may involve considerable cost which the customer must agree to pay for if Skoda says no.

The results are reported to skoda who may ask for additional checks and tests. Its then up to the dealer to negotiate with Skoda Uk, skoda will require comprehensive evidence and will base its response on the service history, age, mileage, loyalty and possibly dealers opinion.

Skoda normally only offer a goodwill contribution on parts e.g. 50% of full retail price of the part(s) (i.e. in many cases it actually costs them nothing), the customer is expected to pay for the labour.

Skoda uk will not deal with goodwill directly with a customer, for various reasons, most of which we will never find out.

I'm only passing on the information after my chats with Skoda CS.

I've been in communication since...well when I first started this thread.

Skoda CS have apparently been attempting to negotiate with the dealer but the dealer has said no - they will not increase the contribution.

Skoda UK have empowered all dealerships to deal with goodwill, which is no longer called goodwill. Skoda UK no longer get involved with anything along these lines.

If you're telling me that Skoda CS have told me nothing but a load of *******s, please, if you'd be so kind as to point me at something contradictory (not, my mate said etc) as I'll happily go back to Skoda CS - still have a name and a number for someone there.

I'm not sure if people are getting warranty and goodwill confused.

All warranty work has to be authorised through Skoda UK or else the dealership gets nothing. The new procedure for what was once called goodwill is now 100% entirely dealt with by the dealership. It is entirely their call with regards contributions.

Edited by Stoofa

Edit:

I best just keep my nose out

Probably best.

Interesting reactions....my dealer service manager has stated in no uncertain terms that her technicians are prohibited to speak to any customers, and customers are not allowed to even try speaking to them.

Great way to treat customers.

Edited by xman